View Poll Results: Who should have won short program at 92 Olympics

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kerrigan

13 37.14%
  • Yamaguchi

22 62.86%
    vCash

Kerrigan vs Yamaguchi, short program 1992 Olympics- who should have won that phase?

I am surprised to see on places like youtube alot of people complaining that Kerrigan did win the short program at the 92 Games over Yamaguchi. I always thought the results were uncontroversial of the short program, atleast at the time. Had Nancy won the short it would have been a huge thing too, as it would have given Ito a better shot at winning. I think even if Nancy should have won the short, the reason the judges didnt do it as they thought it would be wierd to have a skater who had no shot of the gold medal winning the short. Who do you think should have won the short at the 1992 Olympics.

vCash
    Kerrigan's skate deserved 5.8 for elements and 5.9 for presentation. I would give Yamaguchi 5.6 for elements and 5.8 for presentation.

vCash
    Nancy was SO robbed of not winning the SP!! Everything about her SP was better...her 3lutz/2toe combo (Kristi leaned, and it looks like a flutz to me. There is no question about Nancy's true lutz), her 2axel, her spins, her music, her outfit/hair/makeup (Nancy looked like a sophisticated young woman, while Kristi looked like she was heading to a birthday party for 13-14 year olds)...

vCash
    Nancy's jump combination, double jump out of footwork, spiral sequence, and combination spins were all much better. The other 4 elements were about the same. Presentation was more enjoyable too, Kristi's program was nice and pretty but pretty predictable for her style. Nancy's had more spunk.

Didnt Nancy skate really early though, and before all of Tonya, Midori, and Kristi. That is probably why she didnt win the short. Too many skaters they had to potential leave room for.

vCash
    Nancy. Her lutz combo was on a cleaner edge and bigger and a better exit than Kristi. Her double has a cool shoot-the-duck and arms over the head. She skated bigger and with more freedom than Kristi. I think the only thing I would give Kristi was that her hands and arms were a bit more polished.

But I think given Kristis reputation relative to Nancy, she would have placed above Nancy so long as she was clean, regardless of skate order.

Crashing Nancy Kerrigan's float in the Disney Parade
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Nancy was SO robbed of not winning the SP!! Everything about her SP was better...her 3lutz/2toe combo (Kristi leaned, and it looks like a flutz to me. There is no question about Nancy's true lutz), her 2axel, her spins, her music, her outfit/hair/makeup (Nancy looked like a sophisticated young woman, while Kristi looked like she was heading to a birthday party for 13-14 year olds)...
    The color of Nancy's dress made her look like a radioactive pear, and her music was truly the most GHASTLY thing to ever be put on the ice. While she may have had the strongest technical performance of the night, I think this is a case (as was in 1994) where the Scotvold packaging did her no favors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by escaflowne9282 View Post
    The color of Nancy's dress made her look like a radioactive pear, and her music was truly the most GHASTLY thing to ever be put on the ice. While she may have had the strongest technical performance of the night, I think this is a case (as was in 1994) where the Scotvold packaging did her no favors.
    Although the music itself was indeed atrocious (it sounds like waiting room music in a pediatric dentistry), the Scotvolds almost always did an excellent job packaging Nancy. They recognized that she had not a musical bone in her body and routinely gave her flat, unsubtle music that would cover that fact.

In response to the main topic, yes, Nancy deserved to win the short program. Her basic skating skills and jump technique were far superior to Kristi's and it was especially the case that night.

vCash
    I would've put Kerrigan above Yamaguchi. Nancy is usually awkward and stiff in the LP, but she was good in this SP. The extensions, postures, and jumps were better than Kristi's. Scott commented that Kristi's SP was a "masterpiece", but all I felt was someone going through the motion from point A to point B. Nancy wasn't that great at emoting either, but her SP was livelier and better presented.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    1. Nancy's music was atrocious ... I would have marked her down for that. She was skating to the sounds of a retired pairs skater playing with his Christmas toy
    2. Nancy was still in a position to win.
    3. The judges had to leave room because there were other skaters that could have done better after Nancy. For the judges to have placed Nancy better would have literally involved collusion.

It pains me to say this because Midori could have been in a position to win had Kristi been 2nd ... because Nancy delivered the program everybody expected.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-02-2013 at 06:53 AM.

vCash
    Yamaguchi deserved the 1st.

Yes she was slightly forward on her combination, but her spins, choreography, skating skills, MUSIC were 10 times better than kerrigan

Kerrigan still skates so awkward with her chin up that high and her arms so far back. And her music choice would horrendous

vCash
    At that time, I would have put Nancy Kerrigan in 1st, since her technical elements were so good (the Lutz combo and the 2Axel are textbook).
    But I was very young ! And in fact, Kristi's SP was so perfect in everyway. The combo was small, yes, but the other elements were good and her spins were better than Nancy Kerrigan, and her skating was pure, light, and very clean.

vCash
    love Kristi but this one goes to nancy

vCash
    A close poll. At the very least it should have been closer with the judges, a split vote. Probably wasnt mostly due to the reputation and people knew Nancy wasnt really a gold contender yet anyway since she always bombed long programs at that point. Does anyone know why Nancy didnt put the dedication into training her long program runthroughs that she did the 93-94 season much earlier. Her career might have been much different if she did. I read she used to stop her runthroughs midway through and it was why she only managed 3 or 4 triple longs. The Scotvolds should have whipped her into shape the same way they did in the summer of 93 and told her that was simply unacceptable if she had any asperations to be a champion, but done that say in the summer of 89 or 90 instead.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    ^ ummm ... Nancy was to busy focusing on her figure skating.