Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Just posted by Maxim Trankov on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/gLRO_pOVU-/
    "Im very very happy, about my homie @barielloivan Ivan Bariev-Righini. Now he can compit all ISU events & Sochi 2014 in team Italy! Good luck!"

ETA this late August update from Bariev's official site: http://ivanbariev.com/Englisch/pages/news.html

30/08/2013
    I am now training in St. Petersburg with Oleg Vasiliev. I'll go back to Moscow in mid September to attend university and then I'll return to St. Petersburg. I got a new short and free program. The short I did myself together with my friend Daniel Gleikhengauz, while Alexander Zhulin did the long program. The music for the short program is "Bolero" and for the free program it is "Once Upon a Time in America".
    My next competition will be a national competition in Bolzano, Italy, in October followed by the Merano Cup in November, the Golden Spin in Zagreb and Nationals. I hope to be able to compete at the European and World Championships.
    Did Bariev compete in Bolzano? He's registered to compete for Italy at Merano Cup, Nov. 14-17, as "Ivan Righini."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I know this thread is suppposed to be about Bariev but I am wondering what happened to Shelepen, as she hasn't competed at all this season? She quit? Injured?
    Hmmm.....

According to ISU Rule 109:

2. a) In principle, a Skater may compete only as a member of the Member of the country of which he is a citizen.

b) A Skater may compete for the Member of the country of which he is not a citizen if he fulfils the following conditions:

*snip*

ii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first International Competition as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twelve (12) preceding months;

iii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first ISU Championship as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the eighteen (18) preceding months

*snip*

3. If a Skater, who has already represented one Member in an International Competition or ISU Championship, intends to compete in the future for another Member, regardless of the grounds on which the possibility of such change is based, such Skater shall be subject to the waiting periods set forth in subparagraphs 2.b) ii) and iii) above.
    The plain language of the Rule indicates that if a skater competes in a non-championship-level international competition for one country, he must wait a full year from the July 1 immediately following that competition to compete for a second country, even if he has citizenship.

Bariev-Righini competed for Russia at two Senior "B" competitions in the fall of 2012. Polina Shelepen competed for Russia at four international competitions last season. It would appear that neither one can compete internationally this season, so, unless Shelepen is injured or decided after considerable thought to retire from international competition, I expect that we will be reading in the not too distant future about either a disappointed young man or an outraged young woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHUGvde7KU

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    Just curious, which part of him is Italian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moka-Ananas View Post
    Apparently Righini is his mother's maiden name. Since his patronym is "Vadimovich", indicating that his father's name is Vadim which is a purely Russian name, I think it's safe to say that his mother must have some Italian roots.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathil View Post
    Italian media instead is reporting that his father is Italian (last name Righini, obviously) and his mother Russian. He holds double citizenship and lived for some time in Italy when he was small.
    Axel Doppio, italian source, states: "Nativo di Mosca, ma in possesso di doppia cittadinanza per via delle origini del padre.. " - "Born in Moscow (Bariev) holds dual citizenship, because of (italian) origin on the paternal side".

On Trankov's link Bariev writes: "barielloivan - my mothers surname, now is mine too".

The key word is "now", and suggests to me that his mother remarried, to an italian man, Bariev's step father. Bariev's mother obtained italian citizenship and so did Ivan Bariev, as her son.

Last name "Bariev" (Бариев) is a common family name in the former Soviet "southern-eastern" republics with muslim population, Tartarstan, Azherbaijan, Kazhahstan, etc. It comes from an arabic word "Bari" which means "originator/inventor".

While Bariev can pass for an italian looks-wise, his mother probably had him while she was married to a man with roots from the middle east part of USSR or mediterrania.

Whatever he is... he is a VERY attractive young man ...
    http://www.f-skater.ru/gallery/bar.bmp
    Last edited by Tinami Amori; 11-02-2013 at 07:55 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Bariev-Righini competed for Russia at two Senior "B" competitions in the fall of 2012. Polina Shelepen competed for Russia at four international competitions last season. It would appear that neither one can compete internationally this season, so, unless Shelepen is injured or decided after considerable thought to retire from international competition, I expect that we will be reading in the not too distant future about either a disappointed young man or an outraged young woman.
    Yes, they seem to be applying the Pairs rule, which is being eligible to compete one calendar year after the last competition for another country.

Does no one read the documents?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Ivan Righini is still listed for Italy on the updated Oct. 30 entries list PDF for Merano Cup, Nov. 14-17.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Ah I completely forgot they competed for Russia internationally last season.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Ivan Righini is still listed for Italy on the updated Oct. 30 entries list PDF for Merano Cup, Nov. 14-17.
    I know it's not an ISU competition, but didn't the Chinese Fed get to send three Pairs to Jr. Worlds (?) one year, even though they only earned two spots, because they submitted them and the submissions were accepted by the ISU, and, in the end, their scores/placements even counted? Or am I mis-remembering this?

Unless the Italian Fed got an exception, Paul Parkinson doesn't have anything to worry about for Sochi.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I know it's not an ISU competition, but didn't the Chinese Fed get to send three Pairs to Jr. Worlds (?) one year, even though they only earned two spots, because they submitted them and the submissions were accepted by the ISU, and, in the end, their scores/placements even counted? Or am I mis-remembering this?
    Yes, it was 2010 Junior Worlds. After the mistake was discovered, the ISU negated the third Chinese pairs' results: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/CAT003RS.HTM
    Note: Due to a wrong entry the pair - Xiaoyu Yu / Yang Jin - from China, placed originally 8th in the final result, had to be deleted. In the corrected versions of each result of segment and Final each of the lower placed couples will move up accordingly. Due to the deletion of the pair Xiaoyu Yu / Yang Jin from China, which was originally qualified for the final Free Skating, only 15 pairs will be listed for the final result as having skated the Free Program.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Does no one read the documents?
    Just one or two wonks on www.fsuniverse.net

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to this article from artonice.it posted by Nalachika in the Italian skating/skaters news thread:

You chose to compete for Italy and now you finally can! Italy is the home country of one of your parents, but the media have been confusing about that so far – so, who is Italian? Your father or your mother?
    I can tell one thing: that everything’s taken from my mother’s line and the Righinis, this is her last name as a girl.
    In the article he still seems to expect to compete this season internationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I know this thread is suppposed to be about Bariev but I am wondering what happened to Shelepen, as she hasn't competed at all this season? She quit? Injured?
    the last news of shelepen were, that she is going to represent israel from now on and has been released by the russian fed. but she has to sit out this season because she had international assignments last season if i recall it right.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Shelepen is in the same boat as Ringhini: while the Russian Fed announced her release at the same time it announced Bariev's, she had competed in Fall 2012 (at 2012 Nebelhorn, Skate Canada, and Golden Spin), and she can't compete for Israel until 2014-15.

vCash
    Regarding his family roots: Ivan calls himself on his instagram "best gypsy in the world" (referring to figure skating)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to mathil's post in the Italian Skating/Skater News thread, Ringhini has been granted an exception by the ISU Council under Rule 109, which leaves Shelepen alone in that boat. I don't see it documented in the ISU Council notes in Communications 1784, 1797, or 1826, and it may not be yet documented or ever documented.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 11-07-2013 at 01:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ISU Communication No. 1821
    Furthermore, according to the Bye-Law to Rule 41, paragraph 2 of the Olympic Charter, at least 3 years must have passed since the entered competitor last represented his former NOC/Member.
    This would mean Righini is out of Sochi and has to wait until the next OWG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12