Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

Ivan Bariev wants to skate for Italy

I thought it might be easier to have one thread on this topic? Posts copied over from the Italian and Russian news threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    Ivan Bariev wants to compete for Italy:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1509228&type=1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Itar Tass reports, based on news from the Italian Skating Magazine "Doppio Axel" that Ivan Bariev wants to compete for Italy now. His father apparently is Italian:
    http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/724978.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    I hope it works out for Ivan Bariev, he probably would have more opportunities to compete for Italy than he has for Russia. I am not sure about his waiting period, though. His last (international) competition for Russia indeed was the Coupe de Nice in October 2012. The relevant ISU rule states that in case you switch countries you need to wait 12 months for international competitions and 18 months for ISU Championships, counted from July 1 of the season you want to compete for your new country (which would be July 1, 2013).
    ---
    Rule 109:

2.b ii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first International Competition as a member of the Member, he has not
    competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the twelve (12) preceding months;
    2.b iii) before July 1st immediately prior to his first ISU Championship as a member of the Member, he has not competed in any International Competition or ISU Championship for another Member during the eighteen (18) preceding months

Rule 109 2b ii and iii refer to skaters who want to represent a country they are not citizens of, however, below it is stated that the waiting periods are the same for anyone who represented another country before:

If a Skater, who has already represented one Member in an International Competition or ISU Championship, intends to compete in
    the future for another Member, regardless of the grounds on which the possibility of such change is based, such Skater shall be subject to the waiting periods set forth in subparagraphs 2. b) ii) and iii) above.
    ---
    If this is the case, Ivan would need to wait even though he has Italian citizenship, if I am understanding these rules correctly. The waiting periods are shorter for pairs and ice dancers.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I am very surprised because in 18 months he could totally be Russian champion and the number one Russian skater.

vCash
    I haven't seen Bariev skate in quite a while, what makes you think he could beat Kovtun and Gachinski in 18 months? Has he learned or is he learning the quadruple jump?

vCash
    I am not sure of his quad status. He could be switching to Italy so he can be a winner withot having to master a quad. But if he was close to one the Russian field is going to be wide open post plushenko so why would he leave Russia if he had a quad? Gachinski and kovtun are 18th place at their worlds appearances? What kind of special status should that provider them? Surely bariev could beat them. Just like zhan bush or kolyada or whoever. Voronov is Older but maybe him too.

vCash
    It's possible skaters are wanting to leave Russia for reasons other than the depth of the senior ranks in those countries as well, although I'm quite certain that is probably playing a role in skaters like Polina Shelepen and Ivan Bariev wanting to do this.

vCash
    Maybe there could be a non skating and family reason why he wants to got to Italy and compete for Italy. But if he developed a quad in Italy then overtook any Russian skater that would be really bad for Russia. They all think kovtun is the next big thing in Russian men's skating and may be "who cares" about the 22 year old bariev switching like they were with ovcharova and shelepen in ladies but not iliusheckina in pairs.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 05-02-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Valentin Piseev is quoted in this Russian article: http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130501/659948745.html
    Via Google Translate:
    "The first time I heard that he went to the Italian federation. Learned from you. To us for permission, he did not apply, so long as there is no precedent, there is nothing to consider. When his statement with a justification for us to go, we will think. While not talk about than "- said Piseyev on the phone.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Via Google Translate: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10549.html
    Ivan Bariev filed for moving to Italy
    14.05.2013 14:31:01 | Figure skating | News

Two-time champion Russian Figure Skating Championships Ivan Bariev submitted to the Federation of figure skating in Russia (FFKKR) application to allow passage to Italy. This is the special correspondent of the portal TEAM RUSSIA-2014 Mary Vorobyev told mom and agent athlete Elena Barieva.

"We applied for the transition to the two federations - in Russian, and an Italian - said Elena Barieva. - So, now have to wait for the formal review papers, but that Ivan goes - it is like that. Although Ivan has Italian citizenship, it also extends the quarantine, but Ivan's last start was in October 2012. Terms and quarantine regulations change frequently, but I can say with confidence that from the Olympic season 2013/2014 Ivan's will represent Italy at the European and world championships, a tournament category "B". And the Olympics let's take into account we will not. Olympics question is still open. But in the end, for it is not the last game. Now the main thing - to wait for the resolution of all formalities, registration of any securities takes time. "
    Quote by Piseev via Google Translate: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10552.html
    "The statement from Ivan Bariev already entered into a federation - said Valentin Piseyev. - May 16, based on the Olympic Training "Navagorsk" will be a meeting of the executive committee of the federation which, inter alia, the application will be reviewed and Barieva. The members of the Executive Committee will discuss the current situation - and will make a decision will be announced. "
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-14-2013 at 06:34 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    This suggests that a Federation must release a skater, even if the skater has citizenship in another country, or the new Fed has to apply for an exception under Rule 109. Even if the Russian Fed releases him, as a single he still can't compete in an international until he has not competed for 12 months before July 1 of the season, which won't be true until 2014-15. As Eislauffan has already pointed out, if he competed for Russia internationally in Oct 2012, he has competed within 12 months of 1 July 2013 and can't compete for Italy in 2013-14.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Re-posting from the Russian news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    V. Piseev says that Polina Shelepen and Ivan Bariev were cleared by Russian Figure Skating Federation to skate for Israel and Italy, respectively. He says that they both obtained citizenship of their respective countries and an approval of National Federations.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/591_valentin...nomu-kataniyu/ (last paragraph)
    Bariev's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00009842.htm

Shelepen's ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00011897.htm
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-16-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Just posted by Maxim Trankov on his Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/gLRO_pOVU-/
    "Im very very happy, about my homie @barielloivan Ivan Bariev-Righini. Now he can compit all ISU events & Sochi 2014 in team Italy! Good luck!"

ETA this late August update from Bariev's official site: http://ivanbariev.com/Englisch/pages/news.html
    30/08/2013
    I am now training in St. Petersburg with Oleg Vasiliev. I'll go back to Moscow in mid September to attend university and then I'll return to St. Petersburg. I got a new short and free program. The short I did myself together with my friend Daniel Gleikhengauz, while Alexander Zhulin did the long program. The music for the short program is "Bolero" and for the free program it is "Once Upon a Time in America".
    My next competition will be a national competition in Bolzano, Italy, in October followed by the Merano Cup in November, the Golden Spin in Zagreb and Nationals. I hope to be able to compete at the European and World Championships.
    Did Bariev compete in Bolzano? He's registered to compete for Italy at Merano Cup, Nov. 14-17, as "Ivan Righini."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-01-2013 at 03:07 PM.

vCash
    I know this thread is suppposed to be about Bariev but I am wondering what happened to Shelepen, as she hasn't competed at all this season? She quit? Injured?

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    "Righini"? Where does that last name suddenly come from?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Article in Italian (Oct. 31): "Ivan Righini eleggibile per Europei e Mondiali, resta viva la speranza di partecipare ai Giochi Olimpici": http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figur...iochi-olimpici

vCash
    Just curious, which part of him is Italian?

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Apparently Righini is his mother's maiden name. Since his patronym is "Vadimovich", indicating that his father's name is Vadim which is a purely Russian name, I think it's safe to say that his mother must have some Italian roots.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash

R: Ivan Bariev wants to skate for Italy

Italian media instead is reporting that his father is Italian (last name Righini, obviously) and his mother Russian. He holds double citizenship and lived for some time in Italy when he was small.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    In the above picture posted by Trankov, Bariev himself says that the Righini is his mother's surname.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash

vCash
    Oh it's him! I got him confused with another Russian skater.

Bariev has fantastic performance skills. He is a little rough around the edges but he's a born entertainer. I cannot wait to see him compete internationally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast