vCash

Maltese Figure Skating?

There's a new article trending about how Malta is letting people buy citizenship now. I was wondering, is Malta an ISU member, and if so, how soon till some rich American/ Russian or other skater buys into this so they can skate in the olympics?

http://news.yahoo.com/want-maltese-8...185531778.html

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Malta is not currently a member of the ISU.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/pa...m-item,00.html
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    I don't think there is even a skating rink in Malta. I know they have that plastic ones for Christmas seasons, but I think that's about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I don't think there is even a skating rink in Malta. I know they have that plastic ones for Christmas seasons, but I think that's about it.
    But one does not have to train in the country one represents. If Malta is selling citizenship and if it joins the ISU, skaters from "competitive" countries could buy Maltese membership to improve their chances of getting to the Olympics, which is what I think OP was getting at.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    If Malta were an ISU member, Jonathan Cassar might have been able to Worlds and Olympics. He is of Maltese descent.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    But one does not have to train in the country one represents. If Malta is selling citizenship and if it joins the ISU, skaters from "competitive" countries could buy Maltese membership to improve their chances of getting to the Olympics, which is what I think OP was getting at.
    Yes, sorry, I meant no wonder Malta is not an ISU member since it doesn't even have an ice rink. But if it was, I guess both skaters and the country could benefit from buying citizenship, that's for sure.

Malta is a bizzare place, really. Amazing, beautiful and exciting, but bizzare. Selling citizenships only proves it.

vCash
    Yes, sorry, I meant no wonder Malta is not an ISU member since it doesn't even have an ice rink.
    Ah, gotcha.

Malta is a bizzare place, really. Amazing, beautiful and exciting, but bizzare.
    Haha, yes. I have heard that they are the only country that takes Eurovision uber-seriously.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    I thought this thread was about a dog skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Me too! LOL!

vCash
    Malta has never even competed at the Winter Olympics, not even in alpine skiing. It is the only country in Europe not to do so.

vCash
    You need to have a permanent ice rink in order to become an ISU member.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You need to have a permanent ice rink in order to become an ISU member.
    It's not even that simple. There are certain other criteria you have to have in place before you will be admitted, ie a learn to skate programme in place, a properly structured governing body, etc.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Haha, yes. I have heard that they are the only country that takes Eurovision uber-seriously.
    Eurovision IS a very serious business!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    Me too! LOL!

Me three, lol!

vCash
    Malta has a
    UNESCO World Heritage site called Valletta, a harbor that played a critical part in WWII. There are no rivers, lakes or mountains. It is a tiny island south of Sicily in the Mediterranean about 19 miles long. Catholic, friendly and a former UK Commonwealth. The Euro goes far, the weather is balmy and so worth a visit. Google the Knights of Malta. Having returned from there last week I can testify there is no ice rink.

vCash
    Thanks so much for the beautiful post about Malta, MountainTime.

I have a few rich & friendly customers from there, and have always wanted to visit, it sounds divine! Also, I recall Queen Elizabeth honeymooned there with Prince Phillip when they first got married and how much she treasured that time together.

ETA: http://www.exposay.com/queen-elizabe...ymoon/v/12506/

vCash
    I lived in Malta for 5 months (did my Erasmus there). Yes, it has beautiful views, cliffs, Gozo and Comino, the two smaller Maltese islands are to die for, there is history and culture, all true. However, there is also another side of Malta. The one where foreigners are charged more than locals for bus tickets or gas bottles. The one where buses don't actually follow a schedule, just come and go whenever thet want. The one where in the winter you can freeze to death in your appartment due to the lack of heating and terrible humidity.

But there are also some fascinating customs, like chasing a huge figure of Jesus around the streets on Easter (I personally loved it ). There are people from all over the world, all nationalities, all races, it's amazing. Like a tiny New York.

For anyone who's never been there, I recommend it, because it's quite different than anything else. Just be prepared for a WTF here and there And go in the spring.

vCash
    I can attest from 2 months there in 1991 that Malta is a VERY cool place. Rich history, amazing places to visit (paleolithic sites, grottoes where St Paul is supposed to have wintered, the capital city & the walled former capital, one of the biggest domed churches in the world, among others), great stories. Although I found that their Kinnie cola resembled dishwashing liquid--but for some reason it's wildly popular (or was when I was there).

The place is pretty heavily populated, though, and space is at a premium. I think the sport would be beyond the means of most people there so it seems unlikely any sort of year-round rink would be built. Not to mention the Maltese didn't strike me as terribly sporty/outdoorsy/fitness-oriented population. . .
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.