Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Patrick Chan- why doesnt he get the respect he deserves

It is such a shame to see Patrick Chan underappreciated for his amazing talents and efforts. At this point people should really start talking about him as maybe the best skater ever I think. Instead all he gets is jerks whining about his well deserved wins.

vCash
    Maybe Chan doesn't get respect because he doesn't deserve it. He may be a great skater, but he is a whiny, petulant human being who too often vents unpopular opinions to the press. If he would only take the time to think before he spoke, he might not get so much backlash.

vCash
    Chan bashing thread hey? Not surprising. I expect more to come with Sochi approaching. If you can't beat them, trash them.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    As sick as I am of reading Chan bashing thread after Chan bashing thread - and negative post after negative post my strategy now is that I am going to focus on the positive.

Personally I am just grateful that I am one of the lucky people who gets to enjoy the things that are absolutely amazing about him. I know there are many who do not or cannot enjoy these things for a number of reasons.

I have seen him do what I consider to be one of the greatest short programs of all time this year at Worlds and one of the greatest free programs of all time at Nationals in 2011. I have seen him skate live a number of times and for me it never ever gets old. Even with mistakes there is so much to admire FOR ME. I would pay to watch him do crosscuts but I have had the chance to see him do so much more. I have seen him do exquisite footwork that leaves me breathless and jumps that make me remember how beautiful jumps can be. And over the years I have seen him grow as an artist and performer.

I have never been one of those who looks at him (or generally most skaters for that matter|) and sees what is wrong with him or what he doesn't have or doesn't offer. I am grateful that I have had the chance to see him do what he does as well or better than any other skater.

I am sorry for people who spend so much energy trying to bring someone down when they could use that energy to support the skaters they do like. Ever notice how much more action there is on threads complaining about Patrick Chan than supporting Dennis Ten - or even Takahashi for that matter?

I am not saying everyone has to like Patrick Chan the person or Patrick Chan the skater or agree with his placements. Everyone is welcome to look forward to his retirement so they don't have to see him skate anymore. That is just fine.

I am just saying that I am glad that although I have never seen Patrick Chan as perfect, that those imperfections don't prevent me from greatly enjoying so much about his skating.

I remember watching him at the Nationals in 2011 and thinking "I am watching greatness". And I truly believe that. You can argue with me if you want - but just so you know - just as there are a ridiculous number of you whose opinion won't be changed by this post - you won't change mine either.

And again - that is just fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    As sick as I am of reading Chan bashing thread after Chan bashing thread - and negative post after negative post my strategy now is that I am going to focus on the positive.

Personally I am just grateful that I am one of the lucky people who gets to enjoy the things that are absolutely amazing about him. I know there are many who do not or cannot enjoy these things for a number of reasons.

I have seen him do what I consider to be one of the greatest short programs of all time this year at Worlds and one of the greatest free programs of all time at Nationals in 2011. I have seen him skate live a number of times and for me it never ever gets old. Even with mistakes there is so much to admire FOR ME. I would pay to watch him do crosscuts but I have had the chance to see him do so much more. I have seen him do exquisite footwork that leaves me breathless and jumps that make me remember how beautiful jumps can be. And over the years I have seen him grow as an artist and performer.

I have never been one of those who looks at him (or generally most skaters for that matter|) and sees what is wrong with him or what he doesn't have or doesn't offer. I am grateful that I have had the chance to see him do what he does as well or better than any other skater.

I am sorry for people who spend so much energy trying to bring someone down when they could use that energy to support the skaters they do like. Ever notice how much more action there is on threads complaining about Patrick Chan than supporting Dennis Ten - or even Takahashi for that matter?

I am not saying everyone has to like Patrick Chan the person or Patrick Chan the skater or agree with his placements. Everyone is welcome to look forward to his retirement so they don't have to see him skate anymore. That is just fine.

I am just saying that I am glad that although I have never seen Patrick Chan as perfect, that those imperfections don't prevent me from greatly enjoying so much about his skating.

I remember watching him at the Nationals in 2011 and thinking "I am watching greatness". And I truly believe that. You can argue with me if you want - but just so you know - just as there are a ridiculous number of you whose opinion won't be changed by this post - you won't change mine either.

Well said Accordion.
    I too was privileged to see him at worlds this year and also at SOI last week.

What a great talent!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I too was privileged to see him at worlds this year and also at SOI last week.

What a great talent!
    Next week for me for SOI!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I didn't see the worlds skate live, but nationals 2011 live, plus several other comps - he truly is breathtaking.
    I agree with every word you've said The Accordian.

And I don't really care if he's a nice person or not. I love his skating, and when I'm watching him, or any skater I'm not remotely affected by, or interested in, who they are off the ice. It's the skating that matters.

I do think, however that he is still quite puzzling naive when it comes to print interviews. As has been pointed out in another thread, in live interviews he comes across quite differently than in print interviews where nitwits like DiMano can skew things however they want. I also think he's said some pretty stupid things. Shrug. In the end I'm only interested in what he does on the ice.

YMMV of course.
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash

Patrick Chan- why doesnt he get the respect he deserves

Wow......just Wow. Thank-you for this, I don't think anyone could have said it any better about anyone or anything. I don't care who you're even talking about, that was great!
    👏👏👏
    Last edited by SGrand; 05-01-2013 at 03:38 AM.

vCash
    Well said Accordian. You sum it up for me.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't get this persistent theory that anyone who doesn't worship Patrick is just jealous and bitter

I frankly don't care much about men's skating and am not really emotionally invested in any male skater. Chan is still a tactless arse.

This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about. The fact that you assume all of the Chan bashing threads are coming from only fans of rival male skaters. That's a laugh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    I don't get this persistent theory that anyone who doesn't worship Patrick is just jealous and bitter

I couldn't care less about men's skating. I still can't stand him.

This is exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about. The fact that you assume all of the Chan bashing threads are coming from only fans of rival male skaters. That's a laugh.
    I am not sure if you are referring to my post - but if so - I suggested no such thing.

vCash
    I am not sure if you are referring to my post - but if so - I suggested no such thing.
    Your post implies that the people bashing Chan are more invested in bashing him than praising their faves, ie his rivals. But a lot of the criticism leveled at Chan has nothing to do with other male skaters. It has to do with his piss poor attitude. I think your attitude of focusing on the positive is a great one. I just find that a lot of Patrick fans on this board seem heavily convinced that everyone is seething with jealousy over their skater's godly skills

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I didn't see the worlds skate live, but nationals 2011 live, plus several other comps - he truly is breathtaking.
    Here's an honest question: I understand that he has probably the best skating skills ever, and I myself greatly enjoy watching his lower body and feet - it's like watching a brilliant exercise/etude done to perfection. But other than that, what else do you find so breathtaking about him?

vCash

I frankly don't care much about men's skating and am not really emotionally invested in any male skater. Chan is still a tactless arse.

If you don't care about men's skating than why do you care so much if Chan is a tactless arse?

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Here's an honest question: I understand that he has probably the best skating skills ever, and I myself greatly enjoy watching his lower body and feet - it's like watching a brilliant exercise/etude done to perfection. But other than that, what else do you find so breathtaking about him?
    His speed, the way he floats over the ice, when he's on his jumps are a thing of beauty - high, powerful, cover great distance, his intricate effortless footwork, his connection to the music. I agree with Sandra Bezic wholeheartedly - it's not that Patrick isn't musical, it's that he doesn't sell the program to the audience. Well that doesn't matter to me, seeing him live, from the front row, when he's on, you can see he oozes musicality, it's just very internal - that's what I see anyway. I also like just about all the choreo he's been given, and love the way the programs never stop - that there's this flow the entire way through with jumps that arrive out of no-where. When he's on, and you see him live, the entire program from beginning to end flies by in about 2 seconds of coherent beauty. He's so fast without rushing a thing. I'm a huge fan.

Having said that I think Denis should have won worlds.

vCash
    Patrick has a lot of weaknesses, but his 4T is like the best thing ever. All the top skaters attempt quads, but not a lot of them land amazing ones.

vCash
    Your post implies that the people bashing Chan are more invested in bashing him than praising their faves, ie his rivals. But a lot of the criticism leveled at Chan has nothing to do with other male skaters. It has to do with his piss poor attitude. I think your attitude of focusing on the positive is a great one. I just find that a lot of Patrick fans on this board seem heavily convinced that everyone is seething with jealousy over their skater's godly skills
    I am just a big believer on spending my time focusing on the positive in general and what I appreciate about skaters and skating in particular

So if I don't like a skater or his attitude or anything else about him I just don't see the good in spending a ton of time on the Internet writing about it. I am not saying I have never written anything negative - I am not 100% Polyanna but even with skaters who aren't my favourite - I can still appreciate their strengths. Even when I may believe they may have displayed a "piss poor attitude"

This is why I point out how much bandwidth is spent calling down Patrick Chan versus appreciation threads for other male skaters. One would think that if someone is invested enough to make negative comments about a skater of one discipline on a thread - that they may spend at least the same energy making positive comments about another.

It has nothing to do with theories of jealousy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    If you don't care about men's skating than why do you care so much if Chan is a tactless arse?
    On this forum we have debates about which dinosaur would've been the best skating champion

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by munow View Post
    Patrick has a lot of weaknesses, but his 4T is like the best thing ever. All the top skaters attempt quads, but not a lot of them land amazing ones.
    his 4T is high, good posture. but I prefer Yuzuru Hanyu's 4T. It looks so easy. Not only powerful and high, also work with flow and the movement after the jump is good.
    He also gets a lot of GOE.

http://youtu.be/EO7hC7boH14?t=1m22s
    Last edited by karlon; 05-01-2013 at 07:23 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast