Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Matt Savoie- why was he so underrated

Matt Savoie was such a beautiful skater with great technique and athletic ability too. Yet judges never appreciated him, and he didnt even make a U.S World or Olympic team until his final year. Why wasnt he recognized more.

vCash
    Many old article and video links are posted in this thread: The Matt Savoie Appreciation Thread
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Matt was underrated because he did not have a quad in the Yag-Plushy ... -Goebel era.

vCash
    Weir and lysacek didn't have quads pre 2007-8 but just like what happened in Torino he would tend to double late triples.
    Last edited by caseyedwards; 05-01-2013 at 05:31 AM.

vCash
    The judges and their obsession with the blasted quad, above all else. An exciting jump when well done, but if you can't do all the other elements well, then the program is not complete & balanced, IMHO. Matt deserved better treatment/respect by the judges through his eligible career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    The judges and their obsession with the blasted quad, above all else. An exciting jump when well done, but if you can't do all the other elements well, then the program is not complete & balanced, IMHO. Matt deserved better treatment/respect by the judges through his eligible career.
    Matt skated in an era many guys who were beating him were not doing quads. There was much more to his lower placements, be it lack of hype, lack of excitement, lack of USFSA support, timing and the vagaraties of chance, or the judges plain just not liking him.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Easy.

Matt Savoie had ZERO clout with USFS or the judges. His competitors, particularly Michael Weiss and Tim Goebel,had clout via their coaches (Wisiger/Heiss) and they had the quads.

Matt comes from Peoria, Illinois, not a skating mecca and his coach did not have the clout of the others. Also, as a devoted and full time college student at Bradley University (I believe), he did not have the time for "politics" by doing USFS shows, camps, seminars and the like to get the support USFS was putting behind the others.

As a result, his ranking kept dropping in the US......

vCash
    No quad weir and no quad lysacek totally supplanted weiss and goebel and so could have no quad savoie.

vCash
    How was his speed, as an adult? I only saw him compete live in 1997 and 98, when speed and posture were still issues for him as a junior/beginning senior. I can see that the posture improved, but it's hard to tell about speed on TV.

vCash
    As a competitor Matt Savoie was a lowkey presence off the ice and, fair or unfair, was thought of by some as a rather bland presence on the ice. He was the sort of skater who inspired a select group of "serious" fans, but he did not have the charisma or flair of some other skaters of his era. He also had poor timing with his stirrup fiasco at 2003 US nationals and -- again fair or unfair -- came across as very low energy at the Dortmund worlds, where he placed something like 17th in the free. Sometimes he didn't fully capitalize on his chances.

vCash
    I saw him compete several times and his skating didn't seem "slow" in comparison to the other men.

vCash
    What about Matt's track record of clean performances? Unfortunately, in the 6.0 era, reputation was somewhat based on supposed consistency and clean skates. Skaters like Matt were never given the benefit of the doubt when they had error-filled performances (particularly in the long program).

Unfortunately, I can't think of many competitions where Matt had clean SP + FS except for perhaps 2001 GPF.

vCash
    ^^ Oh, but I can think of many mesmerizing and inspiring performances by Matt Savoie (look at the thread Sylvia linked for clips and comments). Numerous U.S. Nationals performances, exhibitions, 2006 Olympics performances (especially his fp). Matt is going to be remembered for the transcendent moments, no matter whether he was perfectly clean all the time in two performances at one competition.

Clearly, Stephane Lambiel rarely had clean skates during competitive performances. But neither Matt nor Stephane will be remembered for not skating cleanly in the way that Patrick Chan will likely be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PairSk8Fan View Post
    Easy.

Matt Savoie had ZERO clout with USFS or the judges. His competitors, particularly Michael Weiss and Tim Goebel,had clout via their coaches (Wisiger/Heiss) and they had the quads.

Matt comes from Peoria, Illinois, not a skating mecca and his coach did not have the clout of the others. Also, as a devoted and full time college student at Bradley University (I believe), he did not have the time for "politics" by doing USFS shows, camps, seminars and the like to get the support USFS was putting behind the others.

As a result, his ranking kept dropping in the US......
    Yes, I think this gets to the heart of it. Also, on and off the ice, he was sort of "introverted" in an extrovert's world...didn't help.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    How was his speed, as an adult? I only saw him compete live in 1997 and 98, when speed and posture were still issues for him as a junior/beginning senior. I can see that the posture improved, but it's hard to tell about speed on TV.
    He skated slow to me on TV.

vCash
    When you finish 12th, 16th and 11th at Worlds, you must be lacking a lot more than just the political clout. JMHO.

vCash
    ^I would LOVE to know what this performance lacked so much that it deserved to place 11th at this event.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w872zjNfzY

vCash
    You can't look at one program is isolation and figure out what's missing. You have to see the rest of the field to figure out where he fits in the ranksing. I liked Matt a lot when he skating but in comparison with the other men competiting at the time, he wasn't World Podium material.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I saw him at 2005 Skate Canada and he seemed pretty fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    You can't look at one program is isolation and figure out what's missing. You have to see the rest of the field to figure out where he fits in the ranksing. I liked Matt a lot when he skating but in comparison with the other men competiting at the time, he wasn't World Podium material.
    Okay, so 10 skaters at the event all had a better free skate than this or what is it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast