midori ito
    yuna kim
    miki ando
    irina slutskaya
    mao asada
    tonya harding
    tara lipinski

They may be in a weird order but im pretty sure these are the top

Other skaters like yamaguchi, kostner, bonaly, rochette, volchkova, kwan are close but all lack in some area of consistency, difficulty or GOE

vCash
    Rochette had very pretty jumps, maybe not the highest but the speed going in and out was impressive. Particularly her salchow and loop were gorgeous

Kim's are out of this world, but everyone has already mentioned her

Noone has mentioned Shizuka. i think she's been the strongest jumper in Japan since Midori. Well, a case can be made for a young Mao whose jumping seemed light and effortless but the technique was very unconventional and seems to have caught up with her, as she grew.

I liked Chen's jumps too. By 95-96 season were the prettiest imho, the good height and distance and the delay in rotation was spectacular. I recognize the degradation of her jumps by the 98 season

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Noone has mentioned Shizuka. i think she's been the strongest jumper in Japan since Midori. Well, a case can be made for a young Mao whose jumping seemed light and effortless but the technique was very unconventional and seems to have caught up with her, as she grew.
    Shizuka's technique is not very conventional as well
    But she has very strong jumps, and her Lutz and Toe were among the best.

vCash
    1. Mao Asada ( for the phenomenal jump content/difficulty she has showcased through her career) that includes Two 3-3 combinations AND a 3A in one program, three 3A's in one competition, the first female to land a 3A in junior competitions, for having showcased seven tripple programs, the skater who has gotten the most 3A's ratified, for having showcased all kind of triples in her career..... and of course for having the most effortless jumps ever.... she has skated to the Technically most difficult jumps layouts and has many history several times!
    2. Midori Ito for her huge jumps, especially the 3A and 3-3
    3. Miki Ando another accomplished jumper, for being the first female to have landed a quad and for the many 3-3 she has showcased
    4. Irina slutskaya
    5. Shizuka Arakawa

vCash
    ^LOL. Damn, I love ubers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    If we go by the height of the jumps,

Midori
    Harding
    Sebestyn
    Volchkova
    Slutsykaya
    Kim
    Gold
    Chen
    Bonaly
    Sokolova
    Onda
    Bonaly didnt have big or quality jumps in anyway IMO. The only thing she had was ability to somehow pull off alot of hard jumps consistency with the worst technique.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Shizuka's technique is not very conventional as well
    But she has very strong jumps, and her Lutz and Toe were among the best.
    Why isn't it conventional? well, I am no tecnik expert, but she doesn't switch edges like Mao, or prerrotates heavily or has a leg wrap or a mule kick...her flip took off from an obvious outside edge, but apart from that she had very strong jumping technique from my amateur opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Why isn't it conventional? well, I am no tecnik expert, but she doesn't switch edges like Mao, or prerrotates heavily or has a leg wrap or a mule kick...her flip took off from an obvious outside edge, but apart from that she had very strong jumping technique from my amateur opinion.
    As you mentioned it, she lips.
    But other than that, her Salchow is prerorated and 2-footed on the take-off (I know many people think it's a good technique, but it's not the conventional technique).
    And she has a very very round technique (ala Silvia Fontana). Low on her knees, that's why her jumps were often under-rotated.
    JMHO, I don't like Shizuka's jumps, although I love her skating

vCash
    But other than that, her Salchow is prerorated and 2-footed on the take-off (I know many people think it's a good technique, but it's not the conventional technique).
    And she has a very very round technique (ala Silvia Fontana). Low on her knees, that's why her jumps were often under-rotated.
    I thought Salcow and Loop jumps were impossible not to pre-rotate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    I thought Salcow and Loop jumps were impossible not to pre-rotate.
    Yes, but the technique with two feet is even worse. You see the kind of Salchow's technique by Frederic Dambier, Florent Amodio... with a free opened foot

vCash
    ^I think she only underrotated sometimes her 3-3, though I will check what you say about her lowness of the knees. I just think her landings were superb, soft and her jumps seemed effortless
    The 2 footed salchow I know is sort of a personal thing with Shizuka, though it didn't seem for me that prerrotated as say Goebel's...it looked beautiful, but I understand what you point out
    Anyway, I think the only textbook jumper I can think of in the female division is Rochette or Kim...anyone else has some sort of flaw

Actually, I dunno if anyone mentioned Kerrigan but I think her jumps were very pretty when she hit them (pity her style didn't match them)

vCash
    How many women have landed seven triples in one LP in an international competition? Could there be more than 20?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkura View Post
    How many women have landed seven triples in one LP in an international competition? Could there be more than 20?
    Even Jennifer Kirk landed 7 triples at 2001 Trophee Lalique. I'm sur more than 20 ladies landed 7 triples LP

vCash
    I'm still thinking of Carolina Kostner as one of the best jumpers ever. She has landed several 7 triples LP, she has textbook jumps, has all textbook triples except the axel. I don't get why YuNa is in without the 3L and Caro not.

vCash
    the only problem I have with Kostner is the telegraphing...she needs a lot of preparation for her toe jumps, though the form and trajectory are spectacular

vCash
    Like someone else said, Nancy Kerrigan had some really nice jumps. I think most people overlook them because Midori and Tanya were skating at the same time as her.

And of course Lu Chen had some great jumps in her prime-- on all 5 different triples, which can't be said of most of the ladies listed here (well her lutz entry was a little iffy, but that's getting nit picky). The height and distance on her jumps were superb.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    I'm still thinking of Carolina Kostner as one of the best jumpers ever. She has landed several 7 triples LP, she has textbook jumps, has all textbook triples except the axel. I don't get why YuNa is in without the 3L and Caro not.
    Because Kostner is only consistent with 3Salchow, 3Toe and 3Loop. She's often made mistakes on her 3Lutz (despite its beauty when executed) and also on her 3Flip. Kostner has done 7-triple LP, but so has Yuna in her earlier years. (See 2005 JGPF and 2007 CoR)

Kostner's 7-triples per se is not that impressive against the 45+ ratified triple-triples by Yuna. How many triple-triples has Kostner landed in ISU competitions?

vCash
    You can't compare Shizuka's jumps with Fontana, Silvia's technique was horrid, I could barely watch her! I love Shizuka's jumps, so powerful and smooth, with a lovely knee bend. I don't agree her jumps were that bad in "roundness". I'm usually no fan of the round jumps, like Weir or Eldredge. (If that made sense, to early in the morning to think of a female example...)

When this thread popped up, Lavrenchuk and Czako were the first that came to mind, apart from the obvious choices. We should do a thread for the men, so I can über about Urmanov!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleWallie View Post
    Kostner's 7-triples per se is not that impressive against the 45+ ratified triple-triples by Yuna. How many triple-triples has Kostner landed in ISU competitions?
    41. And that is only in ISU Senior competitions, not counting ISU B-competitions or ISU Junior competitions (when she regularily landed two 3-3s in her FPs).

vCash
    I have the feeling that many people haven't watched Carolina Kostner before 2011.
    From 2003 to 2010, Carolina was one of the few ladies with all 5 triples in her LP, including a 3F/3T in the SP and in the LP.
    She is far from being consistent, of course, but her jumping technique is very, very good, and she has tried very difficult layout. I'm not fond of her Lutz and her Flip before she went to Frank Carol, but now, her Flip technique is perfect.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast