Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    What is the ranking of Mao Asada? she has the problem the lack of consistency but she is a only skater who can landing 3A. Even if the lacked of the rotation 3A has better value than triples except 3lutz.
    Why she can not even enter the inside of the 20?
    I had her 5th so in top 5.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    She was for a while. As was Kwan.
    At the end of a very long and successful career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I agree with Rochette, and you make a good point about Kristi, I forgot about the "Demon Sal" with her. However, I looked at this from the POV of consistency over the skater's career, and considering Kostner no longer does all 5 triples and is still competing regularly, I can't put her on this list, and for that matter, I should not include Yu Na either.. Rochette was a big oversight on my part, she should definitely be included.
    It's been a while since Kostner successfully landed five different types of triples in one program, but she does do all five (non-axel) triples. She landed an excellent triple lutz in her Free Skate at Worlds in March.

vCash
    Last edited by karlon; 05-01-2013 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    I'm going to agree re: Hubert and Gusmeroli. Both very underrated skaters with incredible height and power on their jumps. I think Tanja Szewczenko deserves mention as well - when she was on her jumps were massive.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I'm not sure how you can even begin to rate this, unless you limit it to jumps in competition. Because you don't know what these skaters, or skaters you've never even heard of, could do out of competition or in some other setting. E.g. Dorothy Hamill had some fairly reliable triple jumps, but usually only did doubles in competition.

That being said, Rory Flack (Burghart) belongs on this list for her Russian split jump. I don't know of any lady who has even come close to the extension Rory gets on that jump.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    If you're going to include Szewczenko, you might as well include Gracie Gold. She got edge calls on the flip this year, but not as much in previous years, and at no time was her lip anything like as bad as Volchkova's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by torren View Post
    What is the ranking of Mao Asada? she has the problem the lack of consistency but she is a only skater who can landing 3A. Even if the lacked of the rotation 3A has better value than triples except 3lutz.
    Why she can not even enter the inside of the 20?
    Mao has landed some fully rotated 3As- one of the few skaters to do so.

In any case I find this list rather amusing. Ando the best jumper? Granted, she is very good. While watching her in practices I was impressed by the power of her jumps, but they don't compare with either Midori's or Tonya's. If not for COP, Miki might have experimented with more difficult jumps and combinations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I'm going to agree re: Hubert and Gusmeroli. Both very underrated skaters with incredible height and power on their jumps. I think Tanja Szewczenko deserves mention as well - when she was on her jumps were massive.
    Kriztina (sp?) Szako also had very good triple jumps

vCash
    1. Midori Ito
    2. Yu Na Kim
    3. Irina Slutskaya
    4. Tonya Harding- would be #2 or #1 but way too inconsistent
    5. Elaine Zayak- ahead of her time in jumps
    6. Tara Lipinski
    7. Mao Asada
    8. Denise Biellmann- super consistency on triples to old age
    9. Kristi Yamaguchi- consistency doing hardest triples until she was about 30
    10. Katarina Witt- I know this sounds funny but in early 80s she was part of pushing womens jumps along with Zayak, Biellmann, and Ito. In 1982 she was doing the hardest jump layout of any women in the World with 5 triples including a triple flip (Zayak was doing 6 but mostly just triple toes).

not sure after that. Any of Thomas, Manley, Fratianne, Kostner, Czako, Malinina, Sebeysten, Volchkova, Sokolova, Kwan, Bonaly, Neledina, Gold, Rochette could be picked as places 11-20. Probably some others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    If you're going to include Szewczenko, you might as well include Gracie Gold. She got edge calls on the flip this year, but not as much in previous years, and at no time was her lip anything like as bad as Volchkova's.
    If you are going to include Gold, you might as well include Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova. Both are strong jumpers and can do 3-3 combinations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Mao has landed some fully rotated 3As- one of the few skaters to do so.
    However, she is the only skater who can 3a in her era. Miki ando and Kim Yuna's 3-3 is excellent, But I think high difficult jump should be praised more.
    The meaning of my words, even if the success rate is a bit low, The thing which only one person can is much more valuable than others.
    There will be a more stabled If she did 3-3. but she always said that she try to 3a for the challenge. In terms of "challenge", it is more valuable.

I think the value of 3a is not high enough yet. I believe Mao is included in the legend as a jumper.
    Last edited by torren; 05-01-2013 at 01:59 AM.

vCash
    Krisztina Czako was an excellent name to bring up - she had huge (!) triples and a fairly consistent triple toe/triple toe.

vCash
    I would rank Kerrigan's jumps ahead of other American skaters like Yamaguchi and Lipinski. But when I read this question, quality not consistency came to mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I would rank Kerrigan's jumps ahead of other American skaters like Yamaguchi and Lipinski. But when I read this question, quality not consistency came to mind.
    You've just hit the nail on the head about the problem with this poll. What constitutes a "top jumper?" Kerrigan had a near perfect technique on her jumps, but her consistency was abysmal. Lipinski rarely ever fell on a jump but never did a true lutz in her life, her skating foot always rockered horribly to the inside edge before takeoff on her lutz jumps and her jumps were small and juniorish. Yamaguchi also had gorgeous, consistency on most jumps but could rarely do a triple sal to save her life. Too many variables here.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    If you are talking about 5 triple skaters who regularly landed those jumps with proper edges (or at least near proper edges), I think the list would narrow down to the following (and I just shortened the original list, no particular order of greatness claimed here):

Midori Ito
    Yu Na Kim
    Tonya Harding
    Irina Slutskaya
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michelle Kwan
    Surya Bonaly (and I'm not quite sure here)

If I missed a couple, please add them.
    Midori was an obvious lipper, but that didn't really detract from her strengths and she was already the greatest female jumper ever. Surprisingly (or not?), many skaters who have great 3Lutz tend to Lip.

vCash
    In terms of proper edge takeoff and height, I'd say Tonya Harding, Midori Ito, Nancy Kerrigan, Oksana Baiul, Chen Lu (LOVED the delayed spin!), Maria Butyrskaya, and Surya Bonaly. Don't follow today's skaters, which is why my list doesn't include the skaters of today.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I truly have a hard time understanding what makes Mao Asada such a great jumper. Is the 3axel really worth that much? Take that away and what are you left with? A skater with a good 3flip and 3loop and a nice double axel. Her 3salchow is inconsistent at best and her 3lutz has never even been a lutz. The 3toe has never had good technique, either. Honestly, she deserves credit for the 3axel but Mao is not even CLOSE to being one of the top 10 jumpers of all time and I wouldn't even put her in the top 20. That is just being blinded by one jump.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Although I don't think of her as a great jumper, nonetheless Rachael Flatt managed to get all 5 triples without edge calls or URs from time to time.
    She gets so little credit for that ability despite the rarity in the IJS era. In the pre-IJS era, I think only Tonya Harding could have consistently done that.

vCash
    Butyrskaya had a gorgeous loop and 3lutz but her jumps never had nice flow. I agree about your assessment on Asada, despite the triple axel, she had to rework her entire jump layout for some years now. Chen had beautiful jumps from 92-96, but doesn't come close to the top 2 Ito and Harding.

Kim is the only one to come close to Ito and Harding, but even there her loop and salchow aren't as good, and she doesn't have the axel they had.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast