Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    I'm still thinking of Carolina Kostner as one of the best jumpers ever. She has landed several 7 triples LP, she has textbook jumps, has all textbook triples except the axel. I don't get why YuNa is in without the 3L and Caro not.
    Since Yu Na is about 20 times a more consistent jumper than Kostner over their respective careers. Kostner also takes way too long to set up her jumps even if she approaches them fast, and they dont have near the control of Kims. Compare the points each typically earns from jumps alone in a program and Kim is way ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    Czako were the first that came to mind.
    Krisztina Czako absolutely deserves a mention. Her jumps were breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I have the feeling that many people haven't watched Carolina Kostner before 2011.
    From 2003 to 2010, Carolina was one of the few ladies with all 5 triples in her LP, including a 3F/3T in the SP and in the LP.
    I remember the first time I saw her at Euros in 2003 she did 3Lutz/3T and 3F/3T in the LP!

vCash
    Even Jennifer Kirk landed 7 triples at 2001 Trophee Lalique. I'm sur more than 20 ladies landed 7 triples LP
    And Amber Corwin.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I have the feeling that many people haven't watched Carolina Kostner before 2011.
    From 2003 to 2010, Carolina was one of the few ladies with all 5 triples in her LP, including a 3F/3T in the SP and in the LP.
    She is far from being consistent, of course, but her jumping technique is very, very good, and she has tried very difficult layout. I'm not fond of her Lutz and her Flip before she went to Frank Carol, but now, her Flip technique is perfect.
    At least she no longer goes completely flat, arms pasted to her side, while gliding 3/4 across the rink and staying that way until she is off the ice during the flip.

vCash
    I just can't include someone like Bonaly in a list of great jumpers with her poor technique going into and out of jumps. As Scott Hamilton would point out, 'she stops, brakes, turns' then goes into the jump and nearly always with a herky-jerky style. Surya telegraphed all of her jumps, muscled through them, often seemed to UR and her run out was often lacking. Her edging in particular was atrocious.

Debi Thomas seemed like a strong jumper (apart from her '88 Olympic and Worlds skates). For their times, Tenley Albright and Carol Heiss seemed like good jumpers, as did 1961 U.S. Ladies medallists Laurence Owen, Stephanie Westerfeld and especially Rhode Lee Michelson.

Midori Ito remains for me as the all-time greatest ladies jumper overall. She wrapped her leg around as she jumped but that wasn't penalized in her day.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I liked a post that floskate made a few years ago about Zayak's 1982 Worlds FS. He pointed out that she landed two triple toes in quick succession, a double lutz-triple toe, a triple toe in combination with two split jumps, and two triple salchows (one of which was in combination with single jumps). In its own way, that program had plenty of variation as far as triple jumps are concerned.
    Here is Elaine's FS. Really enjoyed watching this program again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLZfJiAvb0
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I would say Yu Na Kim. Even if she has only three truly great triples and one other pretty good one, her toe jumps are so extraordinary she would be my pick as best jumper ever. Not sure after that. Ito is an amazing jumper but her leg wrap was hideous. I wonder how GOE on her jumps would be scored today as by the criteria there are major deductions for form. Harding would probably score higher on her clean jumps today than Ito as they were just as big but had beautiful pencil form. Harding would easily be the best jumper ever if she wasnt so inconsistent I think. Why is nobody mentioning Kwan. I would atleast have her top 15 and maybe top 10, considering all her clean 7 triple programs, but nobody is even picking her for top 20. She wasnt the biggest jumper and her jumps are overshadowed by her artistry, and she wasnt that strong in doing harder triple-triples, and she had a flutz, but she still was a great jumper.

vCash
    Mine wouldbe
    Michelle mainly 7 jumos if not six.
    Was,clean flowed out,.,they dont do it. Anymore

Shizuka
    carolina kostner
    Those are my 3.
    Possible irina didnt flow out of jumps stopoed. Barely did edges
    Sasha possible.
    Not tara jumps small,barely of ics, no flow

Iwould add in yuna
    I wouldnt add in skater earlier than 1992 for a simpke reason that being time.
    in,1950,the,Total,Time of free program waz 2:50
    I think,in,the 1970 & 1980 the total,time of free,program was 3:00 minutes for free program.
    I,dont remember when,swiched to,full,4minutes,like now. But I,think when,dropped,figurestotallg.
    Michelle made jumps look so easy, ffortlessly.
    Tara, irina didnt, amsasha once in a,while.
    But even they make it look easy compared,to noe.
    It comes across as a chore, soneyhing I have tovdo forboiints.,mist tine they liij,ehere they regarding messes rather than look whay I csncdo, how eady it is.
    Or,have,goofy faces when messed up,saying . Yep evenceithistajes I

P

vCash
    Have goofy faces after,messess,thinking yep,icwon,despite,major erroe,because I,left enough points on ice,to win, medal.

vCash
    I think with Kwan she should get points for her consistency and controlled landings. I wouldn't put her top 10, but definitely top 25 of all time. I agree Harding was even better than Ito which is no easy task. Right up to the axe,l each and every jump was textbook. Its hard making a list because there were so many great jumpers who are now mostly forgotten (Lavenchuck for example) but Harding is definitely number 1 and Ito right next to her.

vCash
    Tonya's 3A was "textbook" ? You will not find one single text book or any coach that teaches his student to perform a 3A with a very obvious outside-of-the-circle tilt in the air and with a wide, swinging free leg on the landing.
    Last edited by orbitz; 05-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklaszlo View Post
    I'd like to see that. Is there a video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3k2y6Q0#t=289s

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Tonya's 3A was "textbook" ? You will not find one single text book or any coach that teaches his student to perform a 3A with a very obvious outside-of-the-circle tilt in the air and with a wide, swinging free leg on the landing.
    Thank you!! Her 3axel was a jump that she flung into the air. There was no technique about it. She just knew how to get right on that edge and use it to propel herself into the air. She flung herself up, was ALWAYS leaning back heavily and had a crazy free leg on the landing. Nothing about it was right. It is a wonder she ever landed it more than once in competition, to be honest.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Thank you!! Her 3axel was a jump that she flung into the air. There was no technique about it. She just knew how to get right on that edge and use it to propel herself into the air. She flung herself up, was ALWAYS leaning back heavily and had a crazy free leg on the landing. Nothing about it was right. It is a wonder she ever landed it more than once in competition, to be honest.
    I disagree that there is "nothing" right. The first of these attempts is right and straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYViHpq1KTs

Of course, she was always best in her first attempts because she was not fatigued. Her jumps often looked best in the warm-ups immediately prior to her skating group. Conditioning more would have fixed that.

vCash
    Purported triple toe walley:

I dunno... I do not see any inside edge or counter rotation. Some people call a toe loop from an outside three turn a toe walley. But thanks for answering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklaszlo View Post
    Purported triple toe walley ...

I dunno... I do not see any inside edge or counter rotation. Some people call a toe loop from an outside three turn a toe walley. But thanks for answering.
    I see her step onto the right inside edge and do an edge pull, just like the edge pull during the single walley immediately prior, as she picks. Some people are wrong for calling jumps by the entrance rather than the edge.

... I probably should have made the link to start before the single walley.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-05-2013 at 06:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    I think,in,the 1970 & 1980 the total,time of free,program was 3:00 minutes for free program.P
    Not so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7kTnyOcPy4

Janet Lynn's 1970 LP was 4 minutes long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    Who would be your top 20 female jumpers ever. Mine would be:

1. Miki Ando
    2. Midori Ito
    3. Yu Na Kim
    4. Tonya Harding
    5. Mao Asada
    6. Irina Slutskaya
    7. Tara Lipinski
    8. Denise Biellmann
    9. Elaine Zayak
    10. Victoria Volchkova
    11. Julia Sebeysten
    12. Kristi Yamaguchi
    13. Dorothy Hamill
    14. Petra Burka
    15. Elizabeth Manley
    16. Debi Thomas
    17. Michelle Kwan
    18. Surya Bonaly
    19. Tatiana Malinina
    20. Yoshie Onda
    This is a fair list except I would have to lower or remove altogether the inclusion of Lipinski. Her jumps would have been considered tiny, juniorish, and flawed had she not done so many of them and not skated in a time when flutz was only starting to become an international buzzword. Kwan likewise had small jumps, but over her long career she demonstrated good technique and highly superior muscle memory. Her jumping upped the ante in the ladies event because of her consistency, and she performed all the different jumps without flaws over many seasons. Kwan thus belongs on the list and maybe higher. I would remove Bonnaly. She should only be on the list of top 20 back flips. I don't know if Biellman should be here or so high, but I never saw her perform. Perhaps those who saw her 3Ts in the 90s and 2000s can attest to her jumping strengths. Liashenko's powerful jumps could be included but for those hideously telegraphed entrances. She also fell plenty, so nevermind her. Anna Rechnio could be considered.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-05-2013 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post

Viktoria Volchkova, for example, had nice height on her Lutz. But she crawled into or extremely telegraphed all of her jumps. Remember, her loop and Axel were done almost from a complete halt, and her flip was also on a big outside edge.
    Volchkova had technique issues, but her lutz jumping was very close to that of a man. It was amazing to watch the speed, force, and power. The rest of the women looked liked amateurs next to her. It is a shame she was so noticeably uncomfortable in front of audiences. She never seemed to care about winning either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I truly have a hard time understanding what makes Mao Asada such a great jumper. Is the 3axel really worth that much? Take that away and what are you left with? A skater with a good 3flip and 3loop and a nice double axel. Her 3salchow is inconsistent at best and her 3lutz has never even been a lutz. The 3toe has never had good technique, either. Honestly, she deserves credit for the 3axel but Mao is not even CLOSE to being one of the top 10 jumpers of all time and I wouldn't even put her in the top 20. That is just being blinded by one jump.
    I think you are not considering her jumping over a very long career and just the last years when she has been almost psyched out. Her many 3As over the past 9 years will be studied for years to come. She at least belongs in the top 20. Landing three 3As at the Olympic games is also a feat yet to be rivaled.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 05-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast