20. Yoshie Onda

vCash
    lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    lol.
    What do you find funny.

vCash
    Ando first because she landed a cheated quad Salchow in competition, I am guessing? She also does a flip on a severe outside edge 99% of the time. There's no way she's anywhere near the best, though.

A lot of the other skaters on this list might have been known as 'jumpers', but they had their fair share of problems, too. Most of them couldn't do either a proper-edge Lutz or flip, or they don't (or didn't in their time) attempt the full set of triples being done sans Axel.

Viktoria Volchkova, for example, had nice height on her Lutz. But she crawled into or extremely telegraphed all of her jumps. Remember, her loop and Axel were done almost from a complete halt, and her flip was also on a big outside edge.

Julia Sebestyen had better jumps than someone like Volchkova (or even Ando), but she also went on the outside edge for her flip.

Kristi Yamaguchi could land the triple Lutz-triple toe-- yes; but she rarely ever landed the Salchow and her jumps were on the tiny side (same as Lipinski).

Surya Bonaly had the tendency to curl the edges of many of her jumps because they were about 1/4 (or more) cheated.

Out of your list, I'd agree with Ito, Harding, and even Malinina being way up there. I also think Joannie Rochette has some of the nicest jumps I've ever seen.

vCash
    Laetitia Hubert and Vanessa Gusmeroli also had fabulous jumps.
    IIRC, Yulia Lavrenchuk also had amazing jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Laetitia Hubert and Vanessa Gusmeroli also had fabulous jumps.
    IIRC, Yulia Lavrenchuk also had amazing jumps.
    I loved Laetitia Hubert, but I really don't agree here. Big Flutz, and she was too busy flying around the ice most of the time to really settle into her jumps. She had the tendency to land on the flat of her blade rather than on the toe pick, and that's why we saw the jolty kind of movement with her hips so often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
    I loved Laetitia Hubert, but I really don't agree here. Big Flutz, and she was too busy flying around the ice most of the time to really settle into her jumps. She had the tendency to land on the flat of her blade rather than on the toe pick, and that's why we saw the jolty kind of movement with her hips so often.
    I was probably just impressed by the speed she had into them, and the high and distance she got.
    IIRC, Carol Heiss said in 1992 that she was another female skater with male jumps

vCash
    Dorothy is and always will be one of my favorites, but her jumping ability is skaters like Manley, Kwan? If Dorothy is on the list then Peggy should definitely be on also; No one today can do the delayed axel that Peggy was doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    No one today can do the delayed axel that Peggy was doing.
    I keep waiting to see someone dust that move off and do it...absolutely gorgeous! I want to see someone do a delayed double axel.

vCash
    If we narrowed the list to only those skaters who landed the 5 triples from toe loop to lutz with proper edges, how many skaters would that comprise?

vCash
    If you are talking about 5 triple skaters who regularly landed those jumps with proper edges (or at least near proper edges), I think the list would narrow down to the following (and I just shortened the original list, no particular order of greatness claimed here):

Midori Ito
    Yu Na Kim
    Tonya Harding
    Irina Slutskaya
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michelle Kwan
    Surya Bonaly (and I'm not quite sure here)

If I missed a couple, please add them.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Although I don't think of her as a great jumper, nonetheless Rachael Flatt managed to get all 5 triples without edge calls or URs from time to time.

Anna Rechnio was a good jumper

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Lu Chen (certainly at the beginning and middle of her career; after 1996 she had UR problems)
    Tatiana Malinina had all five with correct edges
    As DORIS says, Anna was a good jumper. She had all five in her repertoire but was sometimes prone to double-footing
    In any given programme, Surya would land some correctly while others were UR-ed. So I guess you could say that she had all five sometimes
    Yulia Lavrenchuk? I think so, and done at lightning speed (I know, I know - no footwork, but the jumps themselves were spectacular)

What about today's skaters? Aren't we counting them?
    Last edited by orientalplane; 04-30-2013 at 07:36 PM.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    If you are talking about 5 triple skaters who regularly landed those jumps with proper edges (or at least near proper edges), I think the list would narrow down to the following (and I just shortened the original list, no particular order of greatness claimed here):

Midori Ito
    Yu Na Kim
    Tonya Harding
    Irina Slutskaya
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michelle Kwan

Rochette? I know she had issues with her lutz early in her career, but corrected that jump later if memory serves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

Midori Ito
    Yu Na Kim
    Tonya Harding
    Irina Slutskaya
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Michelle Kwan

Depending on your definition of "regularly," Kostner and Rochette should be on the list, especially if you are going to consider Kristi Yamaguchi's salchow as a jump she "regularly" landed in competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Dorothy is and always will be one of my favorites, but her jumping ability is skaters like Manley, Kwan? If Dorothy is on the list then Peggy should definitely be on also; No one today can do the delayed axel that Peggy was doing.
    I rated skaters for their own time. Hamill for her own time was considered the best jumper. Kwan was never considered the Worlds best jumper, and Manley if she ever was it was brief with Ito around. Fleming was not even the best jumper of her own time. Seyfert, Maskova, and Noyes were better.

vCash
    How is Yu-Na a five triple skater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    How is Yu-Na a five triple skater?
    She was for a while. As was Kwan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Depending on your definition of "regularly," Kostner and Rochette should be on the list, especially if you are going to consider Kristi Yamaguchi's salchow as a jump she "regularly" landed in competition.
    I agree with Rochette, and you make a good point about Kristi, I forgot about the "Demon Sal" with her. However, I looked at this from the POV of consistency over the skater's career, and considering Kostner no longer does all 5 triples and is still competing regularly, I can't put her on this list, and for that matter, I should not include Yu Na either.. Rochette was a big oversight on my part, she should definitely be included.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    What is the ranking of Mao Asada? she has the problem the lack of consistency but she is a only skater who can landing 3A. Even if the lacked of the rotation 3A has better value than triples except 3lutz.
    Why she can not even enter the inside of the 20?
    Last edited by torren; 04-30-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast