vCash

Article: "How scientists are making ice skating safer"

This is an article about a biomechanist, who may be revolutionizing how skaters learn and perfect jumps through computers (and theoretically, reducing the number of times skaters need to actually practice the jump and therefore the number of chronic injuries resulting from the traditional method). According to the article, the other effect is that the skaters are more quickly successful with their jumps. But, since this is at an American university, and sponsored by the US Olympic committee and US figure skating, the program is currently only available to US skaters.

There is a video accompanying the article and a 15 minute profile of the biomechanist airing on CNN on Saturday, June 29 at 2:30 ET.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...skating-safer/

vCash
    Hmmm interesting. Anything that would reduce injury is a good thing.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Good news for American figure skaters particularly the singles. More American ladies and men now can master the triples and quads easily and less injury prone.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    USFS/USOC covers the expenses for many of their top skaters to travel to the University of Delaware to be tested by Dr. Richards and his team. Per Twitter, Richard Dornbush and Shotaro Omori were both there earlier this week, for example.

ETA link to an earlier GSD thread from 2011 on this topic: Improving jumps by using motion capture technology
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-27-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Interesting article.

And on a side note, we know that four revolutions is a quad and five would be a quint. But what happens when they get to six? I have trouble believing that they would allow a figure skating jump to be called a "sext"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Interesting article.

And on a side note, we know that four revolutions is a quad and five would be a quint. But what happens when they get to six? I have trouble believing that they would allow a figure skating jump to be called a "sext"
    I bet the Sext Flip would become quite a popular jump

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    I bet the Sext Flip would become quite a popular jump
    How about the sext toe?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Now try saying "sext lutz" five times really fast...
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fort View Post
    There is a video accompanying the article and a 15 minute profile of the biomechanist airing on CNN on Saturday, June 29 at 2:30 ET.

http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/2013/...skating-safer/
    Has this segment aired on CNN already today?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Has this segment aired on CNN already today?
    Yes @ 2:30PM. Alexander Johnson(and Mariah Bell) was profiled in a segment.

Here's a slightly more extended version of the segment than the link above: http://whatsnext.blogs.cnn.com/category/the-next-list/

I also remember them saying the technology is only used for US skaters atm since it's sponsered(?)....or something like that. Greedy....
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 06-29-2013 at 11:58 PM.