Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also as for James/Cipres, I know James is listed as 5'6" but I have trouble believing she's anywhere close to that considering http://www.goldenskate.com/wp-conten.../neb_pairs.jpg
    Voloshoshar (listed 5'3"/160 cm and believably that height) appears to be similar in height, even a hair taller than James who doesn't even look significantly taller than Caydee Denney who is only like 5'1".
    Am pretty sure she's crouching/bending slightly in that pic. Here is a pic where she & Cipres are both standing up & she's a few inches closer to his height. http://www.flickr.com/photos/skatingpics/8066873575/

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also team France in Detroit http://franceolympique.com/files/Ima...3/detroit3.jpg, they are all in sneakers, Mae Berenice is 5'6" and Pechelat is 5'4" so that would make James around 5'2"-5'3"...no clue how she got listed as tall as 167 cm but she clearly isn't.
    And where are her feet in that picture? Not sure what's so clear about her height, but I saw her and Bonheur a few years back in a hotel lobby and remember she was a little taller than my 5ft4 while in regular shoes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Was he dumped? I thought he was on the verge of retirement, and he and Becky agreed to give pairs a shot (I don't think she'd done pairs before working with him).
    Yeah, she ended it. The Detroit Free Press article is now archived, but in it Trevor said that he felt fine about how things were progressing (they had declared Sochi as the goal right before Nationals), but that she apparently didn't and pulled the plug. This was after the disappointing 10th place at Nationals in 2011. After the split, she was apparently considering ice dance but decided to go back to singles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Yeah, she ended it. The Detroit Free Press article is now archived, but in it Trevor said that he felt fine about how things were progressing (they had declared Sochi as the goal right before Nationals), but that she apparently didn't and pulled the plug. This was after the disappointing 10th place at Nationals in 2011. After the split, she was apparently considering ice dance but decided to go back to singles.
    Maybe I'm thinking of a different article, but I remember reading a quote from Trevor that he was pleased with how they skated but discouraged by their scores. It seemed pretty clear that he decided it was time to stop skating (for him). He retired from skating and there was a mention that Becky was considering doing ice dance, but then a few weeks later it was announced she switched to Yuka/Jason/DSC to continue her singles training.

I think Becky and Josh are a good match and I hope they have a good first season together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Was he dumped? I thought he was on the verge of retirement, and he and Becky agreed to give pairs a shot (I don't think she'd done pairs before working with him).
    After giving the partnership a shot, I thought Trevor decided to use his newly obtained college engineering degree to get a job. It was clear that Trevor and Becky were not going to make the top 5 senior pairs at Nationals. He probably needed to earn an income.

vCash
    Isn't this just Cain/Reagan V.2? Tall girl who can jump? A few posters have said they feel sorry for Caitlin, what about Ashley? It seemed Cain/Reagan were well on their way towards some kind of success and then it just ended, and it ended on Josh's side if I remember correctly.

Oh well, good luck to them, at least we'll have more than 10 Senior Teams at US Nationals this Season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post
    Isn't this just Cain/Reagan V.2? Tall girl who can jump? A few posters have said they feel sorry for Caitlin, what about Ashley? It seemed Cain/Reagan were well on their way towards some kind of success and then it just ended, and it ended on Josh's side if I remember correctly.
    Someone joked during the senior ladies event at Nationals this year that they couldn't tell Cain and Bereswill apart. This partnership seems like a retread of partnerships that already didn't work; I can't imagine Josh/Becky ever getting a 3twist, for example. They are likely going to come up against the same ceiling that Josh encountered w/ Ashley and that Becky met w/ Trevor.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I thought that Josh's justification for ending his partnership with Ashley was not her height, but instead that she was devoting so much time to singles and he wanted to skate with someone who focused solely on pairs (that and former National Champ Caitlin was lurking....).
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Someone joked during the senior ladies event at Nationals this year that they couldn't tell Cain and Bereswill apart. This partnership seems like a retread of partnerships that already didn't work; I can't imagine Josh/Becky ever getting a 3twist, for example. They are likely going to come up against the same ceiling that Josh encountered w/ Ashley and that Becky met w/ Trevor.
    BRAVO Reese this is excellently stated. You always want things to work out and wish people well but why did not Josh try out with Andrea popst or? maybe even mary beth? who knows maybe she is ready to give it a go again under less pressure. There were other options and I think Becky is a gorgeous skater for singles or even dance.
    Anyway Bravo

vCash
    They also knew they would never have a huge triple twist which is a MUST at the senior level especially if you want to place top 10 internationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdonavan View Post

Oh well, good luck to them, at least we'll have more than 10 Senior Teams at US Nationals this Season.
    The thing is, Becky is probably less consistent than Ashley C., yet she's the same height. I'm not convinced that Josh is progressing in his partnership choices (I hope I'm wrong)

vCash
    They might be the same height but Bereswill has a really tiny frame.

vCash
    Is Becky's frame that much tinier or lighter than Ashley Cain's?

In any case, their looks and skating styles seem very similar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-D1yemRJI Bereswill 2012 Skate Detroit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9-IzIVU9WQ Josh and Ashley 2012 U.S. Nationals FS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRyfUy0YF4A Ashley C 2012 Skyscraper

vCash
    Becky and Ashley are both very slight, but at 5'6", it doesn't really matter if they only weigh 110 lbs or so, just the length of their limbs and such will make certain things more challenging (like a 3 twist). Weight matters but in pairs when a girl is that tall, even if she only weighs as much as the girls who are 3-4 inches shorter, the dynamics of everything will still be different. Plus a shorter girl with a sturdier build might have more strength and be able to "help" more in a lot of the moves and can afford to be more muscular/sturdier because their weight will still likely be low. You see the same issue a lot in gymnastics, the taller gymnasts tend to be slighter in build, but oftentimes they are less consistent and not as stable, and once you reach a certain height threshold, it becomes very hard to be successful at all. For singles Becky and Ashley are still in a normal height range, towards the taller end for sure but not above the threshold of maybe 5'7" or 5'8", but for pairs, unless they get a partner like Simon Shnapir and even then, I'm skeptical how well they will faire long term, my thoughts being injuries are probably likely to occur.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Becky Bereswill tweeted this photo today of the 7 pairs currently training at Detroit SC:
    "Kicking off summer training @dscclub! #pairsparty" http://pic.twitter.com/RmnLBsWpCE

L to R: Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton (US novice), Narumi Takahashi/Ryuichi Kihara (JPN), Aya Takai/Brian Johnson (US junior), Stefania Berton/Ondrej Hotarek (ITA), Becky Bereswill/Joshua Reagan (US senior), Sumire Suto/Konstantin Chizhikov (new JPN/US team), Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban (US junior).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    They also knew they would never have a huge triple twist which is a MUST at the senior level especially if you want to place top 10 internationally.
    Dube/Davison won bronze with a double twist in 2008.

Just sayin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Dube/Davison won bronze with a double twist in 2008.

Just sayin'
    It's 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's 2013.
    You know, I didn't quite think the sport had progressed that much, but checking out Worlds 2013, you'd have to go out of the top ten to find a team without a triple twist. I didn't realize that (back in 2008, four of the top ten went without triple twists in the LP).

My error.

vCash
    Just to play devil's advocate here, S/S won Skate America with only a 2twist in 2011 (they were working on a new entrance to the twist that season, IIRC). Granted, they already have plenty of other qualities to their skating and a score of 124 is actually on the low side for them.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Plus Skate America is early in the season and the GP is set up so that the major competitors don't skate head-to-head as much as possible.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate here, S/S won Skate America with only a 2twist in 2011 (they were working on a new entrance to the twist that season, IIRC). Granted, they already have plenty of other qualities to their skating and a score of 124 is actually on the low side for them.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gp..._FS_Scores.pdf
    To be fair it wasn't the most difficult field for them to win.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast