Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    She downplayed it. She mentioned not holding her layback as long (at a few competitions) because her back was sore. Then, the triple-triples were gone. Her coach knew, but didn't mention until 2006 that sometimes she would get on the ice and he knew it wasn't going to be an intense practice.
    Thanks, I never knew that.

vCash
    Oh come on, the title's not that hard. I got it. Can't think of any more examples though.

vCash
    Harding beating Ito at the 1991 Worlds but losing to Yamaguchi who she had beaten easily at U.S Nationals that same year.

Galindo beating favorites Stojko and Urmanov at the 1996 Worlds but losing to Eldredge and Kulik who he was supposed to beat.

Plushenko beating favorites Takahashi and Lambiel in Vancouver Olympics but still losing in a big upset to Lysacek.

vCash
    2011 Europeans: after a disastrous SP, Kostner surpassed Korpi's 10 point lead but was overtaken by Sarah Meier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Harding beating Ito at the 1991 Worlds but losing to Yamaguchi who she had beaten easily at U.S Nationals that same year.

Galindo beating favorites Stojko and Urmanov at the 1996 Worlds but losing to Eldredge and Kulik who he was supposed to beat.

Plushenko beating favorites Takahashi and Lambiel in Vancouver Olympics but still losing in a big upset to Lysacek.
    I never read anything about takahashi being a favorite over plushenko. Plushenko was number one pick of almost every publication and prognosticator there was!

Maybe only the first one is really good.

Quote Originally Posted by kukkura View Post
    2011 Europeans: after a disastrous SP, Kostner surpassed Korpi's 10 point lead but was overtaken by Sarah Meier.
    Only after the SP because of course Kostner has never been an underdog to korpi.

vCash
    Deleted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I never read anything about takahashi being a favorite over plushenko. Plushenko was number one pick of almost every publication and prognosticator there was!
    Tak and Lambiel weren't favourites over Plushenko but I think they were considered more likely than Lysacek to win the OGM by most people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Tak and Lambiel weren't favourites over Plushenko but I think they were considered more likely than Lysacek to win the OGM by most people.
    Sports Illustrated was saying plushenko chan lysacek and usa today was saying plushenko lysacek oda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Sports Illustrated was saying plushenko chan lysacek and usa today was saying plushenko lysacek oda!
    Oda? Really? I forgot that Chan was actually favoured to medal or win for awhile and then it was a surprise to some when he finished 5th. I guess Lysacek was in there because he had won the '09 worlds, but most people seemed shocked that he actually WON.

vCash
    Oda? Really? I forgot that Chan was actually favoured to medal or win for awhile and then it was a surprise to some when he finished 5th. I guess Lysacek was in there because he had won the '09 worlds, but most people seemed shocked that he actually WON.
    Yep, Oda was definitely a medal favorite. He had a kick ass season in the fall that year and was incorporating a 4-3 combo. There were threads on this forum saying "Who will will OGM? Plushenko or Oda?"
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Oda almost won the gpf. He did 4/3 in practice sometimes but never ever in a competition. I was surprised when SI didn't include Oda because of his great success in the gp season. He was doing the same program jumps as Lysacek and Chan with 3/5 all triples-3a second half. I don't remember any indication ever that he was going to do a 4/3 in a real competition as morozov was his coach.

vCash
    This one isnt very good but ill still say it

Yuna Kim dominating Mao Asada 2011 worlds, but losing to Miki Ando ??

Also Mao Asada beating Yuna Kim at 2007 Worlds but losing to Miki Ando

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Yep, Oda was definitely a medal favorite. He had a kick ass season in the fall that year and was incorporating a 4-3 combo. There were threads on this forum saying "Who will will OGM? Plushenko or Oda?"
    Oh yeah, that seems so long ago now especially with Oda not even at Worlds but I do remember it now. I guess Oda really messed himself up by disobeying the jump rules again.

vCash
    Oh wait.. it wasn't his jumps that time.. or was it that too? There was something wrong with his skate.. laces?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't recall Bobek being a favorite at 95 worlds. I remember everyone expecting Lu Chen to be in top form coming back from her injury. If anything, there wasn't any one favorite but Bobek was not it. That is my favorite Worlds, by the way, I've watched in on tape countless times.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Oh wait.. it wasn't his jumps that time.. or was it that too? There was something wrong with his skate.. laces?
    In the fs there was the laces issue but in the sp he got 5.00 and 5.50 in transitions which indicated political disapproval. Same thing with plushenko. Not ever doing a quad in that season meant he couldnt attempt to tech his up from political disapproval like plushenko. He did the exact same stuff as takahashi and lysacek but was 6 points lower with weir! It was bizarre! And even though his free program was clean oustide the break And one fall didn't matter. He lost all favor to takahashi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post

Galindo was never expected to beat Eldredge or Kulik. Galindo was expected to end up 4th or 5th. IMO he should have beat Kulik after all - I though Kulik was sloppy in the long & his spins were crap - but going in Kulik was a favorite for the gold. Galindo got a gift when Stojko fell in the short & Urmanov imploded.

I also agree Eldredge winning gold was an upset but I don't know if anyone thought Dai & Stephane would beat Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't recall Bobek being a favorite at 95 worlds. I remember everyone expecting Lu Chen to be in top form coming back from her injury. If anything, there wasn't any one favorite but Bobek was not it. That is my favorite Worlds, by the way, I've watched in on tape countless times.
    I think Chen and Bonaly were co favorites going in. Bobek would have to skate lights out to beat them in the long. The judges definitely wanted to give her the title though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Galindo was never expected to beat Eldredge or Kulik. Galindo was expected to end up 4th or 5th. IMO he should have beat Kulik after all - I though Kulik was sloppy in the long & his spins were crap - but going in Kulik was a favorite for the gold. Galindo got a gift when Stojko fell in the short & Urmanov imploded.

I also agree Eldredge winning gold was an upset but I don't know if anyone thought Dai & Stephane would beat Plushenko.
    Yeah, I think going into the Olympics in 2010 it was like 80% Plushenko, 10% Chan and 10% the rest (Takahashi, Oda, Lambiel, and I guess Lysacek, but less % for him than the others lol).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    This one isnt very good but ill still say it

Yuna Kim dominating Mao Asada 2011 worlds, but losing to Miki Ando ??

Also Mao Asada beating Yuna Kim at 2007 Worlds but losing to Miki Ando
    Kim was always supposed to beat Asada at the 2011 Worlds so I dont see how that is a valid one. Asada had skated well in her last two events and still lost to Ando, so she was even less favored than Ando too. Yes it was a big upset Kim lost to Ando, even not skating all season and Ando dominating up until then.

Asada was probably the favorite for the 2007 Worlds, even over Kim, so I dont think is a good one either. Again a huge upset Ando won over both though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast