Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Silvers beating someone supposed to lose and losing to someone supposed to beat

What are some of the cases where the silver medalist beat someone they were huge underdogs against, but then losing the gold medal anyway to someone they were huge favorites over. What a strange and unique dissapointment is that occurence for these individuals. Some cases that come to mind for me are:

Usova and Zhulin at 1994 Olympics- maybe not so much at the event itself after Europeans, but before the season Torvill & Dean were picked as shoo ins for the gold medal in their return, while U&Z had been shoo ins to beat G&P for years. Yet at the Olympics they beat T&D but lose the gold medal to G&P who had their first ever wins over U&Z that season. On the heels of a career of bridesmaid and waiting their turn, and tough luck in some big events, this was probably the most frusterating experience for them.

Surya Bonaly at the 1993 Worlds- Nancy Kerrigan and Lu Chen were the heavy favorites to win the 1993 World title, and Sato and Chouinard were probably the next 2 favorites. Surya Bonaly beat all of those skaters, but lost herself to newcomer Baiul who she had easily beaten at the recent Europeans.

Surya Bonaly at the 1995 Worlds- Surya beat the heavy gold medal favorite Nicole Bobek, but lost herself to Lu Chen, who had barely been promoted pre event.

Cohen at 2006 Olympics- Sasha beat the heavy pre event favorite Irina Slutskaya, but lost in a big upset to Shizuka Arakawa.

Cohen at the 2004 Worlds- Sasha upset pre event favorite Michelle Kwan, but was upset herself by Shizuka Arakawa again.

Shen & Zhao at 2000 Worlds- Shen & Zhou defeated the pre event favorites Sale & Pelletier but lost out in a big upset to Petrova & Tikhonov.

Joubert at 2008 Worlds- Joubert beat the overwhelming pre event favorite Daisuke Takahashi but lost in a major upset to Jeff Buttle.

Orser at the 1986 Worlds- Orser beat the defending World Champ Alexander Fadeev who entered the event as favorite, and seemed to have a lock on the gold medal due to a huge lead before the final free skate which he totally bombed, but ended up losing in a big upset to Brian Boitano.

Bowman at the 1989 Worlds- Bowman finished above both pre event favorites Viktor Petrenko and Alexander Fadeev, who both finished right off the podium, but lost himself in a big upset to Kurt Browning.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-29-2013 at 07:53 AM.

vCash
    I think alot of the reasons why noone was paying too much attention to Chen in the lead up to 95 worlds was because she had come off an injury which took her out of 94 worlds. She did skate and win at NHK in the fall with a great performance, landing all her jumps, but it seems she was forgotten as a gold medal contender as soon as Bobek jumped back into the scene.

vCash
    That thread title gave me a migraine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    Say WHAAT??

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I wonder how many more absurdly convoluted outcomes JJ can come up with.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    At least you could figure it out. I've only had 2 coffees so far this morning.

vCash
    Uh yeah, a couple of double takes required ... "Slivers" or "Silvers"??? And really, what does it matter or mean exactly? Grammar brush-up JJ? FSU thread title writing brush-up??

Eh, yep, it's the off-season.

vCash
    Taking this seriously.....

Baiul was a surprise in 1993 but Surya not winning the World Champ title was never a surprise.
    I don't remember Petrova/Tikhonov winning over Shen/Zhao to be that big a surprise - their basics were much better in 2000, & neither team was very artistic at the time.
    Michelle Kwan was not the heavy favorite to win in 2004 - for one thing, everyone knew she was injured.
    Sasha was just as much a favorite as Irina in 2006 - either winning would have been no surprise.

vCash
    I don't think Browning winning in 1989 was a huge upset over Bowman. Browning had defeated Bowman and Petrenko in events in the fall, and with the 3rd place finish in the LP at 1988 worlds, was one of the medal favourites going in.

vCash
    Ross miner beat Abbott but then was defeated by max aaron

vCash
    ^^ In that case, wouldn't it be more like in 2011 the U.S. National bronze medalist beat someone supposed to win gold, but in 2013 that same former and defending bronze U.S. medalist favored by some to possibly win the title ended up with silver over poor luck Abbott once again but then slivered down to 14th place at Worlds. And this doesn't even factor in the Bradley, Weir, Dornbush, Lysacek et al back story/ scenarios. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, iffin' ...

And the World hasn't come to an end yet, but I doubt that will stop the prognosticators.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 04-29-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: "defending" at the time

vCash
    The thread title alone requires too much brain function for a Monday.

But after reading other posts, I'll add Michelle Kwan at 1997 Nationals- who could have really expected her to lose to Tara Lipinski, at that point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ In that case, wouldn't it be more like in 2011 the U.S. National bronze medalist beat someone supposed to win gold, but in 2013 that same former and defending bronze U.S. medalist favored by some to possibly win the title ended up with silver over poor luck Abbott once again but then slivered down to 14th place at Worlds. And this doesn't even factor in the Bradley, Weir, Dornbush, Lysacek et al back story/ scenarios. Woulda, shoulda, coulda, iffin' ...

And the World hasn't come to an end yet, but I doubt that will stop the prognosticators.
    Very true- 2011 had a lot of drama but the issue of the Bradley/Dornbush/Miner top 3 I think made it different because Abbott was 4th and not 3rd so I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lmarie086 View Post
    The thread title alone requires too much brain function for a Monday.

But after reading other posts, I'll add Michelle Kwan at 1997 Nationals- who could have really expected her to lose to Tara Lipinski, at that point.
    I think if Bobek won in 1997 that would have been like Lipinski beat Kwan but didn't even matter because then Bobek or whoever beat them both! That would have been interesting but didn't happen. It's rare to find this cases.

What are some of the cases where the silver medalist beat someone they were huge underdogs against, but then losing the gold medal anyway to someone they were huge favorites over
    Fumie Suguri 2006 worlds. Total shock that kimmie meisner won.

vCash
    There wasnt enough space to put the title I wanted so I had to shorten it somehow. I cant believe I didnt think of the 2006 Worlds ladies event. That is a great example. Suguri beat Cohen the heavy favorite, but lost herself to Meissner who she went in much more favored then. Poor Fumie, had she won the Oly bronze and World gold in 2006 she would have retired after missing Worlds in 2007 for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Sasha was just as much a favorite as Irina in 2006
    Hmm I certainly didnt feel that way.

1. Sasha had never won a World title. She hadnt even won a U.S title when Kwan was entered yet.
    2. Slutskaya had generally dominated Cohen their whole careers, only losing two times to her.
    3. Slutskaya had only lost one event the past 2 seasons, and it was to someone who age ineligible for the Olympics.
    4. Sasha had been injured and barely competed that season.

I dont see based on what Sasha would have been equally favored to Irina going in. Even most of the U.S media was calling Irina the gold medal favorite.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I didn't know that Michelle was injured in 2004. I didn't know it until 2005. I must have been sleeping.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I didn't know that Michelle was injured in 2004. I didn't know it until 2005. I must have been sleeping.
    She downplayed it. She mentioned not holding her layback as long (at a few competitions) because her back was sore. Then, the triple-triples were gone. Her coach knew, but didn't mention until 2006 that sometimes she would get on the ice and he knew it wasn't going to be an intense practice.

vCash
    2002 Olympics. Irina beat Michelle, but lost to Sarah.

vCash

Just about did me too. I had a very difficult time trying to figure it out.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by moebius View Post
    2002 Olympics. Irina beat Michelle, but lost to Sarah.
    I thought of including that one, but then I remembered there were many who also expected Irina to win that competition over Michelle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast