Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I will add my voice to those that hail her '87 Worlds LP as her best. Although, if you were to count figures as part of the whole package, she was not doing too well in that category.

    Regarding 1988, if Witt had been ranked where she should've been in the SP, she probably would've been pipped for the Gold by Manley

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    356
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Witt in figures is an interesting story. Early in her career she wasn't too great there but by 84 it seemed she had improve big time. Either that or the judges started being more lenient in her scoring. While she rarely won figures, essentially her placements in figures in both Olympics was near the top.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34819
    Case Continues is one my particular favourite pro programs of Witt. I love the attitude and she really looks like she has a story to tell. It is not what she does but the way she draws you in. And the maturity. However it also helps to have a great piece of music.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWlIjDYm68

    Competitively I thought her "Where have all the flowers gone" whilst not technically up there was a great program for her to show what she do as an artistic skater.

    I liked in an interview about the return of the Olympic champions in 94 that she came back to show that as woman she could still compete and to inspire others. Having just taken up skating at that point, I did find that quite inspiring.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Case Continues is one my particular favourite pro programs of Witt. I love the attitude and she really looks like she has a story to tell. It is not what she does but the way she draws you in. And the maturity. However it also helps to have a great piece of music.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWlIjDYm68

    Competitively I thought her "Where have all the flowers gone" whilst not technically up there was a great program for her to show what she do as an artistic skater.

    I liked in an interview about the return of the Olympic champions in 94 that she came back to show that as woman she could still compete and to inspire others. Having just taken up skating at that point, I did find that quite inspiring.
    I loved 'where have all the flowers gone'. It was a tribute to Sarajevo, where she had won her first OGM. I liked the pro version better because she did not have to worry about landing triple jumps, and she could bring out the emotion even more. Unfortunately the pro judges did not give her credit for her artistry; as we know, the pro competitions were fixed.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Her best by far IMO was at the 82 Europeans and 87 Worlds. Great balance of great athletic and technical skating, and very good and well delivered choreography. Her secondary best performances were the 85 Worlds, 86 Worlds, 83 Skate Canada, 83 Worlds, and one other Europeans (either 86 or 87). Most of her 87-88 season performances sucked and she probably didnt deserve to win any of 87 NHK (Ito should have won), 88 Olympics (Manley probably should have won but given her crap attitude in the aftermath I am so glad she didnt, and if Thomas had been given the rightful lead after the figures-short she might well have won), or 88 Worlds (Manley should have won overall again).
    Just curious, what was Manley's attitude? Did she complain about not winning?

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I loved 'where have all the flowers gone'. It was a tribute to Sarajevo, where she had won her first OGM. I liked the pro version better because she did not have to worry about landing triple jumps, and she could bring out the emotion even more. Unfortunately the pro judges did not give her credit for her artistry; as we know, the pro competitions were fixed.
    It pissed me off when she started losing to Gordeeva in alot of pro events once she went into singles. Gordeeva was an even weaker jumper and was always landing either less jumps or making more mistakes. Must have been humiliating for Witt too. I wonder how Gordeeva would have done vs Witt from 86-88 had she done singles instead of pairs. Russia may have had their first ladies singles champion much earlier.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    1983 Worlds, where she did a triple flip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NnxTTZdvM
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    6,939
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Case Continues is one my particular favourite pro programs of Witt. I love the attitude and she really looks like she has a story to tell. It is not what she does but the way she draws you in. And the maturity. However it also helps to have a great piece of music.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWlIjDYm68

    Competitively I thought her "Where have all the flowers gone" whilst not technically up there was a great program for her to show what she do as an artistic skater.

    I liked in an interview about the return of the Olympic champions in 94 that she came back to show that as woman she could still compete and to inspire others. Having just taken up skating at that point, I did find that quite inspiring.
    I believe she skated a rather clean version of this LP at 93/94 German Nationals? But, she made mistakes at both '94 Euros and Olympics

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    1994 German Nationals was her cleanest LP (4 triples), but still only finished 2nd overall to Tanja Szewczenko.

    At Europeans, Katarina rotated all 4 triples (2 clean, 2 with slight errors), but Marina Kielmann had already effectively put herself out of the running for an Olympic spot after a 14th place in the technical program (Witt 9th). Interestingly, had total placements been used at 1993 Worlds, Germany would have actually had 3 spots for 1994 Olympics (Kielmann 6th, Szewczenko 7th)

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    1983 Worlds, where she did a triple flip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NnxTTZdvM
    That program was artistic wise weak though. Remember she didnt even win the LP at that event, Sumners did. How can a women who won so many LPs be at her best in an event she couldnt even win the LP.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    That program was artistic wise weak though. Remember she didnt even win the LP at that event, Sumners did. How can a women who won so many LPs be at her best in an event she couldnt even win the LP.
    I think Lu Chen's 1996 Worlds LP was her best LP ever.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I think Lu Chen's 1996 Worlds LP was her best LP ever.
    Chen wasnt a dominant skater like Witt. It is quite easy for her to lose with her best ever. Witt though the 12 time European, World, or Olympic winner on the other hand, not likely to lose the LP phase anyway with her best LP ever, especialy to a mediocre skater like Summers.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Chen wasnt a dominant skater like Witt. It is quite easy for her to lose with her best ever. Witt though the 12 time European, World, or Olympic winner on the other hand, not likely to lose the LP phase anyway with her best LP ever, especialy to a mediocre skater like Summers.
    And Witt didn't win the LP at 1988 Olympics, though her Carmen is considered a signature piece, and one of the most iconic program of Figure Skating.
    Anyone can have his/her best LP but not the best result with it, and the contrary. It depends on what the others do...

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Nobody is saying the 88 Olympics was one of Witt's best performances. I also dont think Carmen is one of her best programs at all. Tons of posing and not much skating. All I know is Witt with her best LP ever wouldnt have ever lost the LP phase to Rosalynn Fatners and her crappy jumps, weak spins, and boring artistry, so it probably wasnt even one of her top 5 skates.

  15. #35
    Vacant
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Here and there
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,767
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    9172
    I've always enjoyed Witt's 1983 LP. Yes it's quite dated and very European in style and construction but who cares? A bit of Frau Muller kitsch never hurt anyone It was also in 1983 when she was legitimately planning to do 4 different triples. At Europeans she doubled the flip and tried the loop but fell. Here she did the flip and doubled the loop. Add in the 2z-3t combo and that's that's a very ambitious program for the time.

  16. #36
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What is amoral about a naked handstand? Come to think of it, what is wrong with being naked? Or doing a handstand?

    Off topic, but when KW did the naked handstand, it became OBVIOUS that she has breast implants..... they were not even CLOSE to her chin in that handstand and looked a bit like grapefruit halves turned over on a plate.....

    BTW, for me, KW at her finest was 1987 Worlds LP and 1994 Olympic SP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •