Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

When was Witt at her best?

When someone looks at Witts career its an interesting story of 2 different style of skaters from 1980-1988. In the 80-84 quad she pushed the envelope technically with double lutZ, triple toe combo, did the triple flip until the 82-83 season, and sporodically did the loop. At the 1983 worlds, she tried the most content in any LP she would skate to. After her 84 Euro and worlds victory (starting with the 84-85 season), they toned down her technical skills and gave her more sophisticated choreography. She gave an incredible performance at the 1987 worlds to beat Thomas, and resurrected her triple loop. So which Kat Witt was a better skater the 1980-1984 one or the 85-88 one?

Personally I liked her best in 83-84. found her performances overrated in 88 (esp her last worlds win), but did like her performances in 87, and kudos to coming back at the 86 worlds LP after her disaster in the SP.
    Last edited by Lnt175; 04-29-2013 at 07:09 AM.

vCash
    I think 87 Worlds was her best. She combines sex appeal, theater, and technical guts in this one-woman reenactment of West Side Story.

Witt 1987 Worlds FS

vCash
    duplicate

vCash
    Her best by far IMO was at the 82 Europeans and 87 Worlds. Great balance of great athletic and technical skating, and very good and well delivered choreography. Her secondary best performances were the 85 Worlds, 86 Worlds, 83 Skate Canada, 83 Worlds, and one other Europeans (either 86 or 87). Most of her 87-88 season performances sucked and she probably didnt deserve to win any of 87 NHK (Ito should have won), 88 Olympics (Manley probably should have won but given her crap attitude in the aftermath I am so glad she didnt, and if Thomas had been given the rightful lead after the figures-short she might well have won), or 88 Worlds (Manley should have won overall again).
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-29-2013 at 06:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Her best by far IMO was at the 82 Europeans and 87 Worlds. Great balance of great athletic and technical skating, and very good and well delivered choreography. Her secondary best performances were the 85 Worlds, 86 Worlds, 83 Skate Canada, 83 Worlds, and one other Europeans (either 86 or 87). Most of her 87-88 season performances sucked and she probably didnt deserve to win any of 87 NHK (Ito should have won), 88 Olympics (Manley probably should have won but given her crap attitude in the aftermath I am so glad she didnt, and if Thomas had been given the rightful lead after the figures-short she might well have won), or 88 Worlds (Manley should have won overall again).
    And interestingly Witt may have won both the 82 and 83 worlds were it not for figures. But yes 88 worlds was a goodbye gift, but I can see a definite case for second Olympic win (How did Manley do in figures there?) About 83 SC, I believe that was the last time she did the flip in competition as well.

vCash
    Witt was 3rd in figures and Manley was 4th. Just presuming hypothetically that was right (if I were to guess Witt probably deserved a way lower placing in figures, especialy the footage I saw, but hometown girl Manley may have been held up too for all we know). I had Witt 4th in the short and Manley 5th, both were held up to be 1st and 3rd. Anyway had they had those short program placings and Manley still beaten Witt in the long she would have beaten her overall.

Thomas should have won the figures in Calgary, and although I had her 3rd in the short behind Ito and Kadavy, realistically factoring in reputation to some degree probably 1st in the short as well. Either way she should have had a large cushion on Witt going into the long program, and might well have been more relaxed and skater better had that been the case. Witt should have only been 3rd in the LP behind both Ito and Manley anyway, and Thomas did take 4th in the LP even with her dissapointing effort.

vCash
    When was she her at her best? Her pro career. I always found her amateur programs (and packaging) rather cheap and tacky. She wasn't a particularly strong skater in terms of technique or execution either. (although there was certainly growth in these departments as displayed during the 90's pro circuit)
    Last edited by Dr.Siouxs; 04-29-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think 87 Worlds was her best. She combines sex appeal, theater, and technical guts in this one-woman reenactment of West Side Story.

Witt 1987 Worlds FS
    Wow

This is a lot better technically than her famous 88 Olympics Carmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    Wow

This is a lot better technically than her famous 88 Olympics Carmen.
    And artistically, I love the joy she has on it. She really gives everything. Great, great performance.

Vacant
    vCash
    Whatever you say about her skating skills or her lack of stretch and line, Katarina Witt skated with enormous heart nearly every single time. However dreadful the vehicle she was given, you never saw her go through the motions. She had charisma by the bucket load and nearly always delivered when it mattered most. She nearly always managed to do what was needed to win, whether that was a scaled back 3 triple LP or the do or die epic 5 triple knockout like WSS in 1987 to beat Debi in the US (to my mind one of THE great performances at Worlds in history given the circumstances, not just her best). She was and always will be the definition of 1980's fabulous.

vCash
    ITA with your assessment, floskate!

I loved her costume, as well; even if it was a "knock-off" of Jayne Torvill's 1984 OSP dress.
    Last edited by skatesindreams; 04-29-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: to add comment

vCash
    when she did this commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDm_JIUq_hk

vCash
    Past the peak of her career, but my sentimental favorite Witt programs were her 1994 SP & LP.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Past the peak of her career, but my sentimental favorite Witt programs were her 1994 SP & LP.
    Mine too.

vCash
    Witt's 94 SP was the best SP she had ever done artistically and perhaps even better than any of her LP. If she had this type of presentation and choreography during the 80s then she would have deservedly worn the mantle as an "artistic skater", but her artistry back then was due mainly to her charisma and beauty.

Her 87 World LP was Witt at her most fierce. I didn't care for the bat wings outfit though. On the one hand it was great that it wasn't the typical WSS outfit but bat wings?

vCash
    1987 worlds

vCash
    She was at her best when she kept her clothes on. In Playboy magazine she posed totally naked and did a handstand. No morals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Actually on second thought Manley gave it away in the SP at 88 worlds, and Thomas had another mini meltdown. Witt won figures, but Manley was superior in the long. Kind of another up and down event like Calgary was.

vCash
    Manley was still 4th in the SP and deserved to be, as everyone else skated even worse. The performances of Kadavy and Trenary were pretty much a joke, and Leistner was just so so. Kondrashova and Ivanova werent even at Worlds. Remember Orser ended up 2nd in the mens SP with an even worse mistake, what a messy and fatigued Worlds that was. Witt was only 2nd in the SP to Thomas (and IMO also correct, perhaps even Ito should have beaten her too), so if Manley had won both figures and the LP, which most people thought she should have, she would have won overall. Just to note I am far from a Manley fan despite being Canadian.

vCash
    As a pro, Katarina was charming. She was never a strong jumper, but she could express the music well, and she had a great personality on the ice. She could skate to any kind of music. I enjoyed many of her pro routines. Trying to remember a few- Evita, Lemon tree, I am what I am (88 ex), Michael Jackson 'Bad' (ex), Summer time, I am the only one, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast