Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

If you could impart (non-financial) wisdom to your younger self, what would it be?

I know, we'd all tell ourselves to invest in Apple, and that sort of thing.

I'm talking about lessons you've learned as you've gotten older that might have done you some good in your younger years. Or things that if you'd known to do them (or not do them) when you were younger, might make your life better now.

I'd tell myself not to eat sweets out of habit, not to assume automatically that I was going to fail at certain things, and to be more willing to try things that scared me.

What would you tell yourself?

vCash
    "Do not buy that. You don't need it."

vCash
    Don't be a teacher.

vCash
    Tough question. While I'd like for my younger self to avoid some of the mistakes and the crap, I think I needed to learn some of those lessons the hard way. I don't know if I'd be the same person today without going through all that; maybe I'd be better off to have avoided it, maybe not.

I like the often posed sci-fi idea (and even proposed by some theoretical physicists) that there are parallel universes in which we are living all possible lives...have made all the choices...both saying yes and saying no.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    "Grow up."

vCash
    Eat healthier

vCash
    Choose a different major, one that can give you a career instead of long term unemployment.

Trust me, if I could have one wish granted it would be to turn back time to the moment I was filling out those university applications.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I would hand my 13-year-old self a Sonicare toothbrush when I got braces. I'm still paying for it today, because my teeth are weak in all the spots my braces were. It's really my only regret....

vCash
    Stop scowling...you'll have more control over your life soon enough. And when that happens, it'll be amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilia A View Post
    Choose a different major, one that can give you a career instead of long term unemployment.

Trust me, if I could have one wish granted it would be to turn back time to the moment I was filling out those university applications.
    ITA. I might have even told myself not to even bother with college, at least not one that specializes in "Liberal Arts" .

vCash
    Relax.

vCash
    Never assume and never waste your time with people that just see you as a way of spending their time. Be more selective of who you befriend

vCash
    It costs nothing (except maybe some self-control) to be polite. The cost of being rude is much greater.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Don't listen to the naysayers. Follow your heart.

Stop procrastinating!!!!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Don't get conceived.

(The egg talking to itself, I suppose.)
    Last edited by orientalplane; 04-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I'm pretty sure my younger self wouldn't have listened to anything I might have told me.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    It's not always about you. When life takes a turn, look for all the reasons.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Runaway from home. Your parents are even more f'd up than your 15 year old self knows.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    "See that guy sitting on the other side of the room in your Gr 11 politics class? He's the one. Now go out and enjoy yourself until it's time to meet him in a few years and live happily ever after."

"I know that spending time with a very old lady looking at her very dusty old photo albums isn't something a 10 year old wants to do, but your adult self really regrets not paying more attention to your great grandmother and her fascinating family stories, so listen up now, and take a few notes while you're at it please."

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I'm pretty sure my younger self wouldn't have listened to anything I might have told me.
    Especially since so much of it would sound exactly like the stuff older people were telling me at the time.

If I had followed all the good advice I ladle out now, I would likely have a very different life. Not sure if that's good or bad, but since I am happy with how things have turned out and don't regret some of those side roads I took, the only advice I'd give my younger self would be "It will all be okay in the end."
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast