Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think overall Ina & Dungen were a bigger force than Ina & Zimmerman. I&Z winning a Worlds medal while I&D didnt is basically a fluke stat. I&Z were lucky the 2002 Worlds field was so weak and the event was so poorly skated. I&D would have won silver at the 98 Worlds (or maybe even gold if B&S were pushed to 4th in the SP where they fell, and they won the SP), and could have continued longer and probably would have medalled at the 99 Worlds too. I&Z only finally became a second tier type top team, at best on par with what I&D were for several years, in their final season of 2001-2002. Ina & Dungen won their U.S titles beating and battling Meno & Sand. Ina & Zimmerman had no competition at U.S Nationals, and still even lost a National title to the Hartsells. At best I would say the two pairs were equal.
    I&D could have gone a long way, had they stayed together.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    90
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jamie Sale had no talent. She only did well since David is such a great pairs skater.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Age
    70
    Posts
    3,010
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3722
    Just for the record, Kyra Moscovich had to stop skating for health reasons. She developed scoliosis. Plus she did grow to be as tall as Dylan.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    510
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    René Novotny (Czech Republic): he skated internationally with two other girls before teaming up with Radka Kovarikova. Novotny and Kovarikova won the world pairs title in 1995.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    I think Peggy Schwatz (Germany) had more than one pairs partners and IIRC she won a world bronze with each. The second was Mirko Mueller. I can't remember the name of the first one, but they skated pairs in the 1980s.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Another example, sorry if it was mentioned upthread, I didn't see it; Lloyd Eisler. Had success with Katherine Matousek (they won the bronze medal at the 1985 Worlds), but achieved greater success with Isabelle Brasseur (five world medals-including one title, and two Olympic bronze medals).

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Elena Bechke: had some modest successes with Valeri Kornienko (won 1984 Skate Canada, got the European bronze in 1986) but he was 20 years older than her and she did not look comfortable with him at all. (And I find their pairing quite creepy, to be honest). I don't know why they split, though (apart from the fact that he was getting too old to compete by 1987?) She then started skating with Petrov, who is 2 years younger than her. This partnership proved much better for her, both on the ice and off.

    I wonder if Moskvina deliberately paired Elena with someone younger to help her with her confidence and nerves?

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    Elena Bechke: had some modest successes with Valeri Kornienko (won 1984 Skate Canada, got the European bronze in 1986) but he was 20 years older than her and she did not look comfortable with him at all. (And I find their pairing quite creepy, to be honest). I don't know why they split, though (apart from the fact that he was getting too old to compete by 1987?) She then started skating with Petrov, who is 2 years younger than her. This partnership proved much better for her, both on the ice and off.

    I wonder if Moskvina deliberately paired Elena with someone younger to help her with her confidence and nerves?
    Wow 20 years older than her? That's got to be some sort of record.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    287
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Wow 20 years older than her? That's got to be some sort of record.
    If wikipedia is to be trusted, he's 21 years older than her! He was born in 1945 and she in 1966. He probably holds the record for the oldest amateur figure skater in that case, too!

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    If wikipedia is to be trusted, he's 21 years older than her! He was born in 1945 and she in 1966. He probably holds the record for the oldest amateur figure skater in that case, too!
    FWIW: The Russian version of Wikipedia also lists his birth year as 1945.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    239
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Why did Jamie leave Jason Turner. I liked them as a team and I thought they had great potential.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,195
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    33486
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Nobody forced you to participate in the discussion. Those who want to, are participating.
    You don't have to be defensive. Pairs is my favourite discipline and I enjpoy taking part in discussions about it. I asked a genuine question about what you intended to be discussed in this thread because I was confused.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    128
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think Peggy Schwatz (Germany) had more than one pairs partners and IIRC she won a world bronze with each. The second was Mirko Mueller. I can't remember the name of the first one, but they skated pairs in the 1980s.
    She only won a bornze with Mueller. With Alexander Koenig she never won a medal, but missed a huge shot to at the 89 Worlds where they were 3rd in the short and would have easily won either silver or bronze in the field that year with a strong long program. That team never had another shot after that. With Mueller her only shot came at weak 98 Worlds and they took it and she finally got her long awaited World medal.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    She only won a bornze with Mueller. With Alexander Koenig she never won a medal, but missed a huge shot to at the 89 Worlds where they were 3rd in the short and would have easily won either silver or bronze in the field that year with a strong long program. That team never had another shot after that. With Mueller her only shot came at weak 98 Worlds and they took it and she finally got her long awaited World medal.
    Thanks for this information. I remember her skate with Koenig at the 1989 worlds. They had a total meltdown. Amazingly, overall they placed higher than a clean (and difficult) skate by Yamaguchi-Galindo. Even if they had skated relatively clean, I am not sure they would have beaten Bechke & Petrov (they too had a few mistakes but not major ones).

  15. #35
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    13,107
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    10376
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I personally was thinking more along the lines of pair teams who had podium success with their new partners quickly when I wrote that, but yes, N&K are a good example of having great success with a new partner. Chock/Bates certainly seem to be on a path to the podium, and they are already more successful than Samuelson/Bates or Chock/Zuerlein in terms of their Nationals and Worlds placements.
    This is all about switching with both on the senior level? Not junior or between junior and seniors. Like Anissina/Averbukh.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  16. #36

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Skating in a Canadian beautiful way
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,756
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    13973
    Quote Originally Posted by Andofanatic View Post
    Jamie Sale had no talent. She only did well since David is such a great pairs skater.
    Harsh, and not true. She may not be well-liked, but to say she had no talent is completely absurd.

    Quote Originally Posted by dorianhotel View Post
    Why did Jamie leave Jason Turner. I liked them as a team and I thought they had great potential.
    Rumours at the time were he wasn't willing to put in the extra work to strength train. Their lifts could be very scary, due in part to his lack of upper body strength, and told me Jamie didn't always feel safe in the lifts.
    IIRC, Jason Turner didn't skate competitively after his split with Jamie.

  17. #37
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    Harsh, and not true. She may not be well-liked, but to say she had no talent is completely absurd.
    Thank you. I wish people could learn to separate their feelings about certain skaters from the reality of their abilities.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •