Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Oh and

NIGHT OWLS OF THE WORLD, UNITE! END THE OPPRESSION OF THE EARLY BIRDS (WHO RUN THE WORLD)!!! MAKE SCHOOLS HAVE 2 SHIFTS, ONE FOR THE EARLY BIRDS STARTING AT 7 AM AND ONE FOR THE NIGHT OWLS, STARTING AT 1PM.

I'll gladly join in! I'm a serious night owl that if I have a early appointment in the morning, I rather choose not to sleep at all. Such a work

vCash
    I like that my husband goes to bed earlier....gives me 2-3 hours to myself where I can watch what I want on TV, do my journaling, snack without sharing, drink that extra glass (or two) of wine without being asked, "you're having another glass??" I am an introvert and I like my private space.

vCash
    Night owl here but forced into the early bird world. OR cases start at 0715. I'm at work around 0545.

vCash
    I'm a night owl ... who got a job working from 6pm - 2am. Heaven! I usually try to go to bed between 4-5am and wake up ... WHENEVER I WANT MUAHAHAHA.

However, it doesn't make it easy to do "normal hours" stuff, like going to a bridal shower at 11am, or adjusting when on vacation. Usually the first day is terribly sleep-deprived delirium and after that I'm fine.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Natural night owl here. I stayed up until 2am even in middle school, which made waking up for school torture. But I always wake up after a little bit of time. Definitely never fallen asleep in class.

Actually when I'm deep in a project, I definitely prefer working super-late. For the past couple of days, I've been staying up until 6am and waking up at noon. I've turned into my sister's bf - he's a programmer and apparently it's not uncommon for programmers to keep those kinds of hours! Alf bucks the trend though. He's a super-early bird, and has actually gotten up before I've gone to bed lately.

vCash
    I have usually been at my best between 6 PM and 2 AM.
    However, I have learned to accommodate the schedules of "early birds", out of necessity.

vCash
    Unfortunately I get my second wind at night and live to regret it in the morning

vCash
    I'm definitely a night owl. If left to my own devices, I'll sleep from around 2 AM to 12 PM.

I know lot of people complain that working makes them wake up early on weekends, but I woke up at 11 AM on Saturday and 1:30 PM today. I've never, ever had that problem. I am terrible in the mornings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I have usually been at my best between 6 PM and 2 AM.
    However, I have learned to accommodate the schedules of "early birds", out of necessity.
    This is me, exactly!

vCash
    NIGHT OWLS OF THE WORLD, UNITE! END THE OPPRESSION OF THE EARLY BIRDS (WHO RUN THE WORLD)!!! MAKE SCHOOLS HAVE 2 SHIFTS, ONE FOR THE EARLY BIRDS STARTING AT 7 AM AND ONE FOR THE NIGHT OWLS, STARTING AT 1PM.
    Here, here, here. I'm a serious night-owl and always have been. That was one of the reasons I chose to be self-employed and since my work pretty much allows me to the work the hours I choose, I've become even more of a night-owl. I got in the habit of reading to deal with being awake in the wee hours of the morning and I can read until 6 a.m., then get up at 1 or 2 pm. Like l'etoile, I will stay up all night if I have to do something early in the morning - though that rarely happens.

I'd really like to push my sleep patters back a few hours because handling stuff that needs to be done during daytime hours is a challenge. And changing time zones is a challenge, especially because I live on the west coast.

vCash
    How do you guys manage when you are an early bird married to an night owl or vice versa? :
    Our children are adopted

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post

I'd really like to push my sleep patters back a few hours because handling stuff that needs to be done during daytime hours is a challenge. And changing time zones is a challenge, especially because I live on the west coast.
    Traveling to the East Coast is always rough. Try going to a 9 am bar mitzvah in Florida when it's 6 am your time. Not. Good.

Traveling to Europe is always exciting so I don't mind so much, as long as I get to sleep in.

Also, I don't get finance people who live on the West Coast. They have to be at work with the market opening at the NYSE. Sometimes they have meetings beforehand. Really? That right there is a deal breaker. If I were in finance, I'd move to the East Coast.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Night owl, but I dont have a problem if I have to wake up early even if not necesary. For example right now i am unemployed but still go to the gym at 6:00 AM though I could go later or in the evening, still I go to bed past midnight

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    I'm naturally a night owl, but getting up early doesn't bother me that much. I'm up super early for work twice a week. I live.

Of course, left to my own devices, if I have no work, I'll be in bed at midnight and up around 9am. That's perfect for me! Sleeping until 11 or later usually means I'm ill!
    If you naturally sleep by midnight and wake up around 9 am, how are you a night owl?

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I got in the habit of reading to deal with being awake in the wee hours of the morning and I can read until 6 a.m., then get up at 1 or 2 pm. Like l'etoile, I will stay up all night if I have to do something early in the morning - though that rarely happens.

Me too. I'm an extreme night owl. I think my natural sleeping time is around 6 am - 2/3 pm (I work best with 7-8 hours of sleep). I think I'm most productive around 10 pm - 5 or so am I hate it when I get into that cycle though.. (just because the rest of the world seems to cater to early birds):/

vCash
    Major, major night owl. I really have to make an effort to go to bed before midnight on weeknights or else I'm all at work the next day. On weekend nights I'll stay up until 3 or even 4 if I'm reading or watching something interesting.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    Has this happened to other night-owls?

In high school and college, I'd write all of my papers in the middle of the night.
    Many times I'd be in bed, about to turn out the light, when the complete, composed, paper would "present" itself, as if on a screen.
    This was before current technology existed; and I could hardly scribble fast enough, as it all poured out!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    I like that my husband goes to bed earlier....gives me 2-3 hours to myself where I can watch what I want on TV, do my journaling, snack without sharing, drink that extra glass (or two) of wine without being asked, "you're having another glass??" I am an introvert and I like my private space.
    As I'm the early bird, I get my quiet time early before my hubby gets up. I can get a lot done, especially on the weekends.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I have always been a night owl - even as a child, I loathed mornings. My family still tells stories about Christmas mornings, when my older siblings would come jump on my bed to get me up because - Christmas! The whole family was waiting for ME! And I would beg them to start without me, that it would be totally ok with me if I had to open my presents alone while everyone else was doing other things

It has taken me years to adjust to the 9-5 world. For a lot of my office working career I've been part-time, so I could start at 10am...and sometimes even that was hard The last few years I was so stressed out that I got used to staying up until 1-2am and waking up around 7am. It just became normal. Now I'm far less stressed, but my new job is full of early birds, and I'm the latest person to come in (at 9am!) and always the last one out....I know they would really prefer me to work 8am-4:30pm. ugh.

I still tend to 'wake up' around 11pm. Evenings when I'm really exhausted I have to time it right - if I go to bed too early, I'll wake up in the middle of the night for hours, but if I am not careful, I get an idea, or my second wind, and I can't fall asleep no matter how tired I was 15 minutes ago.

I have noticed that my hours are shifting, though. I'm not sure whether it's because of my schedule, or just me - I've had a lot of internal transformative stuff going on the last year and all sorts of weird things are going on that may or may not be connected/permanent/important. But I tend to want to go to sleep in the 11:30pm-12:30am range, which is just really early for me. And I've gotten used to waking up at least an hour before I need to be somewhere - used to be, if I had to be anywhere before 11am, I would make sure to wake up exactly 15 minutes before I had to leave so I could get as much sleep as possible. Now I lounge in the morning - although I find it makes me more likely to be late than when I would just wake up and go

My whole family is on the east coast, and visiting them means I stay up until 3, 4, 5am EST and have a really hard time in the mornings. My sister is an early bird and often goes to bed by 8-9pm, which sucks for staying in touch because we are rarely home and awake at the same time. When I was in Amsterdam in January it was great - somehow the time difference meant we were up at the same time and we chatted on FB a lot.

My mom has always been an early bird. I don't think she's ever even used an alarm clock. I think the only time any of us have known her to sleep past 7am was last year after my uncle's (her brother's) funeral, when she slept until about 10am. Even she couldn't remember having ever slept that late.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I go through cycles. When I was younger, I was a total night owl and slept in. For the last 10 years, or so, I can't sleep past 7:30am. However, there are nights where I am up, wandering around the house, until the wee hours. And there are other nights where I can't stay awake past 10:00pm. Regardless, I'm up by 7:30am. MY husband tends to go to sleep earlier than I do, and he sleeps much later than I do. He's 10 years older than me, but I thought that as we age we tend to sleep less. Seems true for me, not for him .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast