Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Has this happened to other night-owls?

In high school and college, I'd write all of my papers in the middle of the night.
    Many times I'd be in bed, about to turn out the light, when the complete, composed, paper would "present" itself, as if on a screen.
    This was before current technology existed; and I could hardly scribble fast enough, as it all poured out!
    I would always think about my papers beforehand. By the time I was writing, it was already composed in my head. I made revisions of course, but the bones of the paper were already there. I wrote my best papers in the middle of the night.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I would always think about my papers beforehand. By the time I was writing, it was already composed in my head. I made revisions of course, but the bones of the paper were already there. I wrote my best papers in the middle of the night.
    I do the same thing. Last spring, I got up at one a.m. once, sat in the living room with the computer on and no lights and wrote seven pages of a research paper before going back to bed. It didn't require much revision, either, just editing. What I write in broad daylight on the other hand needs tons of revision.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I don't think I've ever written much in the daylight unless I really procrastinated and left it up until the deadline of 5 pm. Around midnight on I get a rush of energy and creativity that is not there during the day. They say night owls body temp and other signs of physiological arousal (not to be confused with sexual arousal) are up at night and down in the morning. It's the reverse with the morning birds.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    I'm an early bird married to a night owl.
    How do you guys manage when you are an early bird married to an night owl or vice versa? My husband used to be a night owl as well but he has to be at work fairly early and so converted to a reluctant early bird. My son woke up at 9:20 am today.
    This is me. And I hate it. dh used to work on a 9-5 schedule but ever since our daughter was born, mega-anxiety and sleep disorder kicked in, and that has made going to bed a big struggle for him (and truth be told, he gets a TON of work done after 10pm at night). Add to that the fact that he started snoring about 6-7 years ago. . . It SUCKS. I simply cannot stay up late--come 9pm my body starts winding down and I'm yawning left and right. If I stay up later sometimes I'll get a bit of a second wind but more often than not I'll be punch-drunk from lack of sleep. And dd's school schedule means we can't stay up late (she, too, is a night owl)--even worse next year, as first bell will be 7:20 (why do they torture middle schoolers [and their parents] so?).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Definitely a night owl. (who loves early morning hours too)

I am usually up until at least 2:00 am, then have to get up for work at 5:00 am
    Only way I can cope is to take a 2-3 hour nap when I get home from work.

I love the nighttime but also love the really early morning hours. (I just want to see them before I go to bed) My ideal schedule would be sleeping from around 8 or 9:00 am to about 4 to 5:00 pm. I just love the fact there are 24 hour stores.

I am also someone who does not thrive on sunlight. I love gloomy, grey stormy days and celebrate winter hours where we have less sunlight.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    How do you cope with so little sleep, Gypsy? I love sunlight, provided it's after 10 or 11 am. The one time I saw a sunrise out of the water in the old country was very special. Went back to bed afterwards though.

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    first bell will be 7:20 (why do they torture middle schoolers [and their parents] so?).
    This should be illegal. What's so damn important to learn at 7:20? Nothing *I* could learn that early, that's for sure. The bell rang at 8:30 for most of my life as a student and that was considered early. In college I didn't sign up for a class unless it started at 10 am or later. Those were the days.

from Speedy Death

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    How do you cope with so little sleep, Gypsy? I love sunlight, provided it's after 10 or 11 am. The one time I saw a sunrise out of the water in the old country was very special. Went back to bed afterwards though.
    Not easy ! I guess I just got used to it. I have been trying to change my schedule to get a little more sleep.

The sunrise sounds beautiful. I love a water sunrise (I love Lake Superior on our North Shore here in Minnesota.) Actually like to see the sunrise before I go to bed . I have also seen some spectacular sunsets too. Another amazing sight is a thunderstorm over the water, with the lake really churned up and the waves hitting the shore.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Not easy ! I guess I just got used to it. I have been trying to change my schedule to get a little more sleep.

The sunrise sounds beautiful. I love a water sunrise (I love Lake Superior on our North Shore here in Minnesota.) Actually like to see the sunrise before I go to bed .
    A perfect end to a day, isn't it?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    If you naturally sleep by midnight and wake up around 9 am, how are you a night owl?
    Because if I have to study, I'll stay up till 3 getting work done rather than get up early to do it and am far more productive at night. My mother is in bed at 9 and up at 5:30- 6 every day

My natural pattern has been altered by living in 3 MAJORLY different timezones (12 hours) and life. And early birds are always in bed well before midnight
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Night owl here. I have been one since I was a child. They'd put me to bed early, but then they'd fall asleep so I would get up again and read a book or watch TV. I was born at 10 pm so my mother thinks that is just naturally when I wake up.

I rarely can get to bed before 1 even though our company hours are 8 to 4:30. I get up at 8 or 8:30, come in around 9:30, and stay till 7:30 or later so they can fire me if they don't like it. If I have tickets to something in the evening, I get here earlier, but with less sleep. I'd rather stay up till 2, sleep till 10, and come in at 11, but then I wouldn't be able to get out to make it to ballet, sporting events.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm an early bird. The problem is that if I have trouble sleeping at night, I still wake up early in the morning automatically. My body can't adjust itself to sleep in late if I go to bed late.
    This is me. I wake up by 7 on weekends without an alarm. If I sleep until 8 I alert the media.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Early bird here. Luckily I have a job which requires me to get up between 2:30 and 3am each day. I naturally wake around 4am on my days off, and go to bed around 7pm most nights. My sister, with whom I used to share a room, is a night owl and often goes to bed after midnight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Actually like to see the sunrise before I go to bed . I have also seen some spectacular sunsets too. Another amazing sight is a thunderstorm over the water, with the lake really churned up and the waves hitting the shore.
    LOL, me too. I see a lot of sunrises before bed, especially when they are earlier, in the summertime. I figure I see more sunrise than that typical morning person who wakes up about 7:00 a.m.

vCash
    I've spent most of today doing pretty much nothing, just sunbathing a bit, reading a bit, and napping/sleeping quite a lot. It is now ten in the evening, and I'm just getting started on the editing of my latest short film. I expect I'll be sitting here till 3 AM, at least, though it could very well be longer. My class has a meeting at 8:30 tomorrow morning, and unless I hit a brick wall of sleepiness I might just go to bed after that.

So yeah, definite night owl here. My MO in the summers when I haven't had a job has been to stay up all night writing/drawing/reading/internetting, then taking a long walk or bicycle ride around 4 or 5, when the sun rises, and go to bed after that. I get a lot more creative stuff done at night than during the day, and unless I'm dead on my feet I hardly ever manage to go to bed before midnight. I can get up early when I have to, and it's quite easy if I'm getting up to do something fun, but if I have a choice I prefer to sleep in. And I've always been like that; I missed all those cool Saturday morning cartoons that everybody else watched in the Nineties just 'cause I preferred to sleep!
    Last edited by Sofia Alexandra; 05-01-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123