Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

vCash
    ^^ I like MYT-7! My brother and girlfriend have theirs behind their necks and backs. They like mystical figures too and a couple of the designs are intricate and nice.

Why do people get tattoos? It is an in thing, form of statement or ????
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    At first I thought the title read "Obama warns his daughters about getting tacos".

Now I'm not interested.

vCash
    I suppose the "why" question could also be used to question why people get their ears pierced... or their nose, lip, eyebrow, tregus or even the bits on their further most hinterlands.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Stretched earlobes befuddle me, and make me at the same time. It's hard not to stare!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I just have to ask but .... doesn't it hurt like hell??? How do you keep from flinching or moving when the artist is doing their work so there isn't a mess up? I have a very low thresh hold for pain, so maybe its just me thinking you would be flinching or jerking while they work, so that's how I know I could never get one. Do they numb the area with a medication or something so you don't really feel it?
    Shit YES it hurts!!!! The less "fleshy" areas of the body hurt more so if you get one on the top of your foot that will hurt a lot more than, say, one on your backside. When I got mine, the parts on the topmost part of my shoulder hurt, but the bottom of thevtatto didn't hurt a all. I would describe the pain as like someone carving into you with a redhot knife. Once they get started, it takes a lot of willpower not to move at all. Mine took 1.5 hours to do, & the whole time I was sitting backwards on a chair, leaning over the back of it. I remember seeing the paper towels in the wastebasket - there was a lot of red on them!

Before we got started, the artist filled the needle with water and made one line in my skin so I could see what it felt like. Hevsaid that some artists use a heavy hand when they are inking, & that makes it hurt more. He strives for a gentle touch.

The most PITA part is afterwards - don't get it wet until the skin stops flaking off, & don't scratch it when it is healing. Made taking showers interesting!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karina1974
    don't get it wet until the skin stops flaking off, & don't scratch it when it is healing
    That's the hardest part!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I wouldn't get one personally, and although my mother threatened to get one when she turned 50, she's turning 65 this year and she still hasn't done it!

My roommate has several that she got when she was 18. She hates them now - all of them. If it were easier, less costly and less time consuming to get rid of them, she would.

My brother-in-law has one, but I somehow feel they look better on guys.

And there's no way I'd ever get one if my mother did too
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    As a parent, you have to willing to follow through on treats on punishing children.

I have a tattoo and I have not regretted it. It has special meaning to me, it's on my stomach and it did not hurt that bad. I think tattoo are completely socially accepted in the west especially for those of us younger than 40. Many people I know under forty have more than 2 tattoos. People get tattoos for different reasons; some it's a right of passage to make key moments in their life and for others it is personal.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    I would never get one. I don't have an issue with people who do, but it should be well thought out. Getting a cartoon character when you are 18 is not always a good idea. Or the many students I had who got the high school's football helmet logo in prominent visible places. I'm guessing they regretted that within a week of starting college. Or when my sister-in-law and her BFF of one month got matching tattoos to commemorate their ill advised business adventure. SiL spent over $300 on that, the business went south in less than two months and the "BFF" stuck her for nearly $10,000 that she has never seen a penny of, and she has a lovely and large tattoo to constantly remind her of that experience.

Anyone who develops a less costly and easier method of tattoo removal any time soon is going to be a very wealthy person.

vCash
    If you dare, here is the Ugliest Tattoos blog (some might be NSFW).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    You would think that by now, someone would have created tattoos that are more easily removed or some temporary tattoos that look good for 6 months to a year before they wash away (longer and more colors than henna). Some way to try a design out to see if you like it as much as you thought. There has to be a market for semi-permanent tats.
    Some of the high quality temporary tattoos can last a couple of weeks.

The problem is finding things that can last on the skin, and yet which have a very low probability of causing major issues. For example, there is what some people call a "black henna", which is not henna at all. It's illegal to use this stuff for temporary tattoos in the US, but a lot of people from the US, not knowing the health effects, get them on vacation in sunny beachy places. However, it can cause allergic reactions which can lead to scarring, as well as other health issues.

I just have to ask but .... doesn't it hurt like hell??? How do you keep from flinching or moving when the artist is doing their work so there isn't a mess up? I have a very low thresh hold for pain, so maybe its just me thinking you would be flinching or jerking while they work, so that's how I know I could never get one. Do they numb the area with a medication or something so you don't really feel it?
    There are topical medications that are supposed to lessen some of the pain, but they can cause issues during the tattoo process, so they aren't recommended. Licensed tattoo artists have usually received training in methods that can help their clients manage their pain.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    It was a warm day today and everyone was out in short sleeves and shorts. There were some *well* interesting tats that I saw. But one of the funniest things I saw was a woman who had tat sleeves as well as some on her legs - she had a tee-shirt that said "Jesus loves my tattoos"

vCash
    Depends on the person, the location, and again, the person. For some, the fattier areas don't hurt at all, for others they still hurt just as much.

My first tattoo (front of shoulder) didn't hurt at all. My second (ankle) hurt, but not consistently and, like most artists, my artist stopped if I asked for a quick break. My third (wrist on the top outside of the wrist) didn't hurt at all, just felt like a pin being dragged around. My fourth (back of right shoulder) hurt a bit more, but again, just like someone dragging a pin around the outline of the tattoo (it was virtually all outline in design). My fifth (inside of left calf) hurt a lot, but was over quickly. My sixth (back of left shoulder) hurt like the one on the other back of the shoulder.

Basically, I never thought I could handle pain, but somehow this isn't anything I can't handle. Sometimes it feels like light scratching, sometimes like a brief burning cutting feeling that goes away. It's all pretty surface stuff, though, so somehow it's easy to handle even if it causes me to "Yowch!" every once in awhile. I've never had trouble holding still, and some artists are really good about stabilizing the area with their arm/hand so that you don't move or remember to not move.

It's not for everyone, but for most who get them, they'll say the same thing - they're very addicting. Some have even said that the feeling is rather like endorphins released, making it a good experience for them. I don't feel that way, but I definitely love getting them.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I have a tattoo and I have not regretted it. It has special meaning to me, it's on my stomach and it did not hurt that bad.
    I have a small butterfly above my navel which took all of 20 minutes, yet it was so painful I cried silent tears. Conversely, the anklet that took three or more playings of Terrence Trent D'arby's second album didn't hurt until right over the Achilles tendon, and that was minor compared to that damn iron butterfly.

Both need to be redone, but I dread the butterfly, and it's been difficult finding the right artist, so off it continues to be put.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    In her late teens, my friend got a tattoo of a smiling sun on her breast - not where it shows with clothing on. Then she had a couple of kids, breast-fed them both, lost weight again. That sun no longer smiles. It looks kind of like an egg.
    Several years ago I was eating dinner with a girlfriend and we saw a beautiful young woman with a flower tattoed on her breast. My friend said, little does she know that at our age that is going to be a long-stemmed rose. I think I choked on my ice tea laughing.

I hate tattoos, always have, some of it may be the Holocaust association but I think it is more that I am a fan of the human body the way it is. Temporary adornment, including purple hair or nose-rings or whatever, is fine. Permanent changes, not for me.

Knowing this, when PRkid (of course) got a tat in college, it is very small and on her hip where it can only be seen if she is in a very small bikini. I didn't see it for about two years after she got it, and when I did I was just and grateful it was so private,.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I've always thought that the only tattoo I would ever have been willing to get is of the Olympic rings, a little one on my hip or something - NOT this or this. But since I'm not an Olympian and never will be, I don't think that will be happening.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Just don't understand the need. I think tats are just not attractive, and more is not better. That goes for multiple piercings and things like ear gauges.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Just don't understand the need. I think tats are just not attractive, and more is not better. That goes for multiple piercings and things like ear gauges.
    I think it depends on where the piercings are. I have 3 in each ear. I have a tiny diamond in each of my top two, then whatever I choose for the day in the bottom ones. Very subtle. I generally don't like nose piercings. However, my niece has one. She wears the tiniest diamond, so small it almost looks like a piece of glitter. She has an adorable little nose and it actually suits her. I don't love my daughter's tattoo. She designed it. It's very scrolly and has words that mean something to her. As I said, up thread, I just wish it weren't so big, black, and heavy. But, it makes her happy and I don't see it unless she's wearing a bathing suit or we're clothes shopping.

vCash
    The problem with tats these days is they are massive. People are literally obliterating their bodies with them (full sleeves, full legs, etc) and there is no subtlety about it. And it doesn't show a person's personality except they a sheep who has to follow what everyone else is doing.

Some of them are beautiful and I really like those. The Japanese full body tattoos are works of art and the New Zealand Maori tattoos have a lot cultural significance.

People should do tats because it is reflective of their personality and they are doing it for themselves. Not because it is trendy or the thing for the moment which is what most them currently are (although the people getting them probably believe they are unique and individual). And I am sure will be regretted after a few years.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Double post
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast