Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    When my daughter turned 18, she had H.A.W.K. tatooed on her ankle in big black ugly letters. Each letter was the first initial of three close friends and her herself. They referred to themselves as HAWK. All were going to get HAWK tatoos. Um, only my daughter did!

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    To each their own. I got my first tattoo when I was 20. Got the most recent one last year, a stretch of 25 years. They all have meaning and significance to ME and I regret none of them. They are all in areas that are easily covered by professional work clothes, so they've never excluded me from any jobs (including in the military, which I was in active duty when I got the first one). I don't give a rat's butt if they sag as I get older; ALL of me is going to sag as I get older, and as a nurse, I've seen a helluva lot of more unattractive things than old folks with tattoos. If people want them or don't want them, that's their right. If people like them or don't like them, again, their right. Want to be judgemental about people who have them? That's your right as well; but I doubt that any patient I have had would refuse CPR from me simply because I have some body art or additional piercings, or if my hair was purple and my fingernails black. None of those things speak to the competence and professionalism of the person who has them. I know it doesn't in my case.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    My cousin Jenyfer is 52, and she has in the range of a dozen tattoos (if not more), like yours all very personal to her. Everytime I go on Facebook it seems, she's posted another picture of her newest one. Her mother got her first one for her 50th birthday and added a few more since; she's 72 now and had to stop getting them because her skin is too thin now.

I got my first (so far only) one 3 years ago. It's two roses in the shape of a Yin Yang symbol, on the back of my left shoulder. I want another one, but I haven't settled on what design I want (plus I don't have the $$ for it - thankfully the artist who did my last one doesn't charge for custom designs).
    Yours sounds very nice.

Another thing about mine - I make sure that I put them where time and weight changes won't affect them much, if at all. Front of shoulder, back of both shoulders (not huge), ankle, inside shin, wrist. I wouldn't touch the areas that are out of shape or can get further out of shape.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    no matter how cool a tattoo might look when you're young, eventually they sag and look ridiculous.
    Really? Mine is on my left shoulder, in an area where you can't even pinch enough skin to hold onto.

I also know a few people in their 50's/60's/70's who are in better shape physically than youngsters half their age. That's because they have been very diligent in taking proper care of themselves over the years, by eating right and putting strong focus on exercise/fitness.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 04-26-2013 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    To each their own. I got my first tattoo when I was 20. Got the most recent one last year, a stretch of 25 years. They all have meaning and significance to ME and I regret none of them. They are all in areas that are easily covered by professional work clothes, so they've never excluded me from any jobs (including in the military, which I was in active duty when I got the first one). I don't give a rat's butt if they sag as I get older; ALL of me is going to sag as I get older, and as a nurse, I've seen a helluva lot of more unattractive things than old folks with tattoos. If people want them or don't want them, that's their right. If people like them or don't like them, again, their right. Want to be judgemental about people who have them? That's your right as well; but I doubt that any patient I have had would refuse CPR from me simply because I have some body art or additional piercings, or if my hair was purple and my fingernails black. None of those things speak to the competence and professionalism of the person who has them. I know it doesn't in my case.
    As I said, I don't like tattoos. However, I totally agree with you. If you like tattoos, that is your choice and having/not having a tattoo has nothing to do with your intelligence or competence. My biggest concern about them is the health risk. Being a germaphobe, I was totally against my daughter getting one. The design of hers is not bad and it says something very meaningful to her. I do wish it was smaller and less black. But, she likes it and I love her. So.....

Karina, the ones on the elderly woman were all over her legs, back, arms and stomach. It was probably more disturbing that she was showing so much skin (at her age) than seeing saggy tattoos. She was not just a bit saggy, she was flabby and saggy. I used it as an opportunity to try and manipulate my daughter - no such luck .

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I do have to ask, though - was the Tasmanian Devil somehow symbolic of his girlfriend? I mean normally, people might tattoo a heart with the name on or above it. But a Tasmanian Devil with the name? That's... interesting.
    Yea, I had the same thought at the time. Devil? Girlfriends name?? But it turned out that she loved that character and he got it because she loved the character.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss
    Yours sounds very nice.
    Thanks! I tried to go back and find the design on the site I purchased it from so I could put a link to it, but the site is all changed around, so I couldn't find it.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    I have a calla lilly on my left shoulder that's ~1.5in square. Mostly invisible at work & I've been in corporate offices since grad school. Got it while I was in grad school & have yet to regret it...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    In her late teens, my friend got a tattoo of a smiling sun on her breast - not where it shows with clothing on. Then she had a couple of kids, breast-fed them both, lost weight again. That sun no longer smiles. It looks kind of like an egg.
    I wonder how tatoos look like when the skin is no longer elastic and smooth.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I wonder how tatoos look like when the skin is no longer elastic and smooth.
    Isn't that what some people are posting about?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    You would think that by now, someone would have created tattoos that are more easily removed or some temporary tattoos that look good for 6 months to a year before they wash away (longer and more colors than henna). Some way to try a design out to see if you like it as much as you thought. There has to be a market for semi-permanent tats.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    There's an interesting read on Reddit titled "Tattoo artists, What Tattoos have you refused to do for a client?"
    My nephew is a tattoo artist. One time a guy came into the shop and wanted his penis tattooed to look like a barber's pole. My nephew refused. He once did a family portrait for three people: a husband and wife and their girl friend. I've never wanted a tattoo but, thanks to my nephew, I notice a lot of bad tattoos. He's very particular about his work and, though I don't particularly like tattoos, I appreciate his artistry.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    I have a sleeve, but had to wait till I finished performing to get it done. The day I got off my last cruise ship (working on cruise ships I treated as my retirement) I went straight into a parlour in Miami and had one done. I have never had any regrets about getting it done (plus it inspires me to keep my arms toned).
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I just have to ask but .... doesn't it hurt like hell??? How do you keep from flinching or moving when the artist is doing their work so there isn't a mess up? I have a very low thresh hold for pain, so maybe its just me thinking you would be flinching or jerking while they work, so that's how I know I could never get one. Do they numb the area with a medication or something so you don't really feel it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Guzzi View Post
    One time a guy came into the shop and wanted his penis tattooed to look like a barber's pole.
    OMG .... I cannot imagine how it can be done.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I just have to ask but .... doesn't it hurt like hell??? How do you keep from flinching or moving when the artist is doing their work so there isn't a mess up? I have a very low thresh hold for pain, so maybe its just me thinking you would be flinching or jerking while they work, so that's how I know I could never get one. Do they numb the area with a medication or something so you don't really feel it?
    YES. Which is why I'll probably not get any more. I got one that is designed to be added to as I do more Ironman races. I did add to it after my second IM and even that little bit hurt like hell. I'll probably make myself get the little additions each time but no way in hell I'm going to get another full piece done!

It does hurt less if there is more fat in that area. The closer you are to the bone, more it hurts. And also the small of the back is supposed to hurt a lot too.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

in my underground bunker plotting your downfall
    vCash
    [QUOTE=BaileyCatts;3911383]I just have to ask but .... doesn't it hurt like hell??? QUOTE]

This guy thought it hurt like hell.
    When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed."
    Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

vCash
    ^^^ Who on earth convinced him to get a tattoo?
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-27-2013 at 07:25 AM.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    I have a colleague's sister who had hers in between her toes so that mum and dad wouldn't notice it!
    What's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    I have two tattoos and I didn't find either of them particularly painful (experiences are widely varied though). The one on my foot actually hurt less than the one on my calf. You do twitch a bit (feet are particularly bad for that) but it isn't that hard to just say something if a twitch is coming on.

After I got my first tattoo (at 25), some of the kids I coached (particularly the teenagers) were really interested and gave their parents the "but made_in_canada has one" line. I told them to wait until they were out of high school, live with the design somewhere they would see it everyday for awhile, and be very careful about the artist they chose. Take the time to do some research and make sure you're getting a quality tattoo so that it ages well and heals properly. Also, if a tattoo artist tells you it's a bad idea, listen. Just because something looks good on paper or a different medium doesn't mean it'll translate to skin well. Having said all that my first tattoo was only the twelfth tattoo the artist had ever done and I had decided on the design only a few days before. I didn't tell them that
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I actually made a promise to my mom years ago before she passed away that I'd never get a tattoo. I kept that promise all these years. We agreed back then that if I wanted one bad enough that I'd just get a temporary tattoo. I always wanted something mythical like a little unicorn or a little dragon.

I don't have that desire as much as I used to when I was younger, but I did find this neat website that has the temporary mythical tattoos should I decide in the future that I do want to wear one on occasion. The good thing is that they wash off and you can choose different ones anytime you want to.

http://www.tattoosales.com/mythicalfairytattoos.aspx
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast