Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I got my tattoo when I turned 50. (where's that shrug icon?)
    People think that tattoos and piercings are today mostly a thing for "the young", but quite a few "not so young" people get them. You're far from alone in getting one at age 50 or older.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I wish he had talked to my niece. She's ruined her body with one that creeps up from her right breast up to her neck . Such a pretty girl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I got my tattoo when I turned 50. (where's that shrug icon?)
    I got my first one six years ago, another the year after, another the year after, and three last summer. I just turned 49. When people ask "what is that going to look like when you're 80?", my reply is, "then it's a good thing I waited until I was over 40 to get them!"

I wanted them since I was a teenager, so finally doing it felt very liberating. I've never regretted any of them, have some more planned, and have made them all very personal in a way that will make me never regret them.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I think 99% of tattoos look plain gross, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I wish he had talked to my niece. She's ruined her body with one that creeps up from her right breast up to her neck . Such a pretty girl.
    Ew. I hate when young women tattoo the upper part of their breast and then wear low-cut dresses/blouses. Looks so trashy!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    In Australia apparently the number of people getting tatoos removed is about the same as people getting them done. Too many are getting them done because they are trendy and not thinking about the long term consequences.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I have a colleague's sister who had hers in between her toes so that mum and dad wouldn't notice it!
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-26-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I got my first one six years ago, another the year after, another the year after, and three last summer. I just turned 49. When people ask "what is that going to look like when you're 80?", my reply is, "then it's a good thing I waited until I was over 40 to get them!"

I wanted them since I was a teenager, so finally doing it felt very liberating. I've never regretted any of them, have some more planned, and have made them all very personal in a way that will make me never regret them.
    My cousin Jenyfer is 52, and she has in the range of a dozen tattoos (if not more), like yours all very personal to her. Everytime I go on Facebook it seems, she's posted another picture of her newest one. Her mother got her first one for her 50th birthday and added a few more since; she's 72 now and had to stop getting them because her skin is too thin now.

I got my first (so far only) one 3 years ago. It's two roses in the shape of a Yin Yang symbol, on the back of my left shoulder. I want another one, but I haven't settled on what design I want (plus I don't have the $$ for it - thankfully the artist who did my last one doesn't charge for custom designs).

vCash
    We also had a patient back in the day who had a very indistinct tattoo on his upper arm that, as best as we could tell, was a black amorphous blob with a line of black indistinguisheable text beneath it, clearly not done by somebody with very much skill. It used to be a game amongst the MAs to try and guess what it was supposed to be. I got an extra good look the day I had to give him his flu vaccine I always thought it was a gun of some kind, one of the other girls thought it was a bird. We never ended up asking.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    In her late teens, my friend got a tattoo of a smiling sun on her breast - not where it shows with clothing on. Then she had a couple of kids, breast-fed them both, lost weight again. That sun no longer smiles. It looks kind of like an egg.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    My Mom got a tattoo for her 50th birthday and plans to get another for her 60th. I personally have no interest in them. Hers is a hummingbird on her back shoulder. I guess it looks nice. Unless she is in a swimsuit you don't see it.

I found it to be kind of hypocritical because when my sister always wanted one when she was younger the answer was never "No, because I said so" but "No, because you could get all these diseases...." If it was "No because I said so" it would make a lot more sense that she ended up getting one herself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    My Mom got a tattoo for her 50th birthday and plans to get another for her 60th. I personally have no interest in them. Hers is a hummingbird on her back shoulder. I guess it looks nice. Unless she is in a swimsuit you don't see it.

I found it to be kind of hypocritical because when my sister always wanted one when she was younger the answer was never "No, because I said so" but "No, because you could get all these diseases...." If it was "No because I said so" it would make a lot more sense that she ended up getting one herself.
    Maybe hypocritical, but I think it's a VERY different thing getting a tattoo when you're a young person than when you're 50 or 60. Younger persons don't always have the same judgment -- and certainly not the level of experience -- that older folks have. Plus, a 50-60 year old is probably not looking for a job or being "judged" in the same ways as a younger person. If you're 50-60 getting a tattoo, it's not likely you'll regret it. The same can't be said for a younger person. The rate of tattoo removal bears this out.

O-

vCash
    My niece in law has several and her husband has none. They have two boys. They're turning it into a discussion of things not to do when you're impaired by showing the boys the difference in quality between the ones she got sober and the ones she got when partying. So, their house rule is 18 and sober.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    My son was never interested. However, my daughter wanted a tattoo from the time she was in high school. I hate them! I told her no way! In fact, we were in an airport in Europe one time and there was a quite elderly woman in front of us with short shorts and a tank top on. She had multiple sagging tattoos. I brought to my daughter's attention that no matter how cool a tattoo might look when you're young, eventually they sag and look ridiculous. She got tattoos anyway. On her lower abdomen. You can see a little bit of it above a bathing suit, but it's pretty much covered. I hate it, she loves it. I wonder what it will look like when she has kids.

vCash
    I think tattoos are ugly & the more you have the uglier you look. Hiding them is even dumber than having them in the first place. What's the point?

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Here's another tattoo story. Years ago, was sitting with a group including a Girl/Boyfriend and he has a huge tattoo of the Tasmanian Devil character right on is lower arm above his wrist. The Devil had a 'thought bubble' above him but inside the bubble was just all scribbled out like a big cloud. So I say "hey did that used to say something" as Girlfriend glared at me. Boyfriend was like uhmm.... yea my old girlfriends name.

If you must get a tattoo .... don't get names.

vCash
    I've heard that some tattoo artists will refuse to do names for that reason.

There's an interesting read on Reddit titled "Tattoo artists, What Tattoos have you refused to do for a client?"

A guy came into my work the other day with one of those traditional loveheart tattoos on his arm, but with "NUTELLA" where the name was.
    When we asked him about it he said it was a cover up, his ex girlfriend was called Ella.
    Last edited by mkats; 04-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.

vCash
    To each their own. Since I play roller derby, most of my teammates have tattoos, from small single ones, to huge ones, to full sleeves. I don't care for most tattoos, since there's a very fine line between tasteful and trash with them IMO, but haven't ruled out one of my own eventually. All I'd want is the phrase "All good things...", nothing huge or decorative. I do feel though, if you get a very visible one, then you have no right to complain if a workplace doesn't allow them or allow them to be shown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    Maybe hypocritical, but I think it's a VERY different thing getting a tattoo when you're a young person than when you're 50 or 60. Younger persons don't always have the same judgment -- and certainly not the level of experience -- that older folks have. Plus, a 50-60 year old is probably not looking for a job or being "judged" in the same ways as a younger person. If you're 50-60 getting a tattoo, it's not likely you'll regret it. The same can't be said for a younger person. The rate of tattoo removal bears this out.
    That's why I think as a parenting device "because I said so" would have been much less hypocritical. Or even "you'll regret getting one when you are young". But risk of disease/infection doesn't change with age. And she got one less than 10 years after lecturing my sister not to.

I do think as more people who got tattoos when they were young get older, then younger people will be able to see how unattractive they get as you age... Though many of my friends had theirs put in areas they can't see easily with the thought that "I'll stop looking at it when I'm fat and saggy"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    That's why I think as a parenting device "because I said so" would have been much less hypocritical. Or even "you'll regret getting one when you are young". But risk of disease/infection doesn't change with age. And she got one less than 10 years after lecturing my sister not to.
    I don't think she was necessarily being hypocritical. You said that she'd said those things about 10 years ago. It may be that her knowledge, or her opinion changed in the span of 10 years. It'd be different if she'd gotten one the next day or something, but 10 years later? I don't think that's hypocritical. Just a change of perspective.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-26-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Here's another tattoo story. Years ago, was sitting with a group including a Girl/Boyfriend and he has a huge tattoo of the Tasmanian Devil character right on is lower arm above his wrist. The Devil had a 'thought bubble' above him but inside the bubble was just all scribbled out like a big cloud. So I say "hey did that used to say something" as Girlfriend glared at me. Boyfriend was like uhmm.... yea my old girlfriends name.

If you must get a tattoo .... don't get names.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I've heard that some tattoo artists will refuse to do names for that reason.

It's never recommended to get someone's name or face tattoo'd, unless that person is your direct family - child or parent, for example. But since a lot of people who want to have someone's name tattoo'd on them don't believe me when I say it's not a good idea because you might break up, instead I tell them that many people believe it's very bad luck to tattoo someone's name or image. And that is true - some people do believe it's bad luck. But other people are just saying that to get you to not tattoo the giant portrait of your girlfriend's face across your chest, you know?

I do have to ask, though - was the Tasmanian Devil somehow symbolic of his girlfriend? I mean normally, people might tattoo a heart with the name on or above it. But a Tasmanian Devil with the name? That's... interesting.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast