Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Obama warns his daughters about getting tatoos

Obama has warned his daughters that if they got a tatoo then he and Michelle would get one and show it off to the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22289197

I like the idea of parents threatening to do the same thing as their kids to make it "uncool". But does it work?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I don't have or want tattoos, but if it means taking a trip to the tattoo parlour with the Obama's, I'm all for it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Did he remind them there is NO WAY they can hide it, because even if it's somewhere that's easy to cover, the Secret Service will notice if they decided to go to a tattoo parlor?

Minecraft Widow
    vCash
    Little skateycat is only 6, but I am already finding that it is best to make no threats or promises that I am not eager to carry out.
    Cigarettes are like squirrels. They are perfectly harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire. -- @ciggybuttz on Twitter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateycat View Post
    Little skateycat is only 6, but I am already finding that it is best to make no threats or promises that I am not eager to carry out.
    Yep if I had made this sort of threat to my daughter when she was 16, she would have gone and got a sparkleunicornhellokittyrainbowdolphinskulldaggerc rucifix right in the middle of her face just to say, oh yeah???

vCash
    Nothing on earth (short of someone pointing a gun at my head) will pursuade me to get a tattoo.
    Last edited by Vash01; 04-26-2013 at 06:04 AM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Nothing on earth (short of someone pointing a gun to my head) will pursuade me to get a tattoo.
    Same for me -- I hate needles. Never saw the attraction since my tastes in art/jewelry change over time, and I think most tats look dated pretty quickly.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If anyone discovers a foolproof method for discouraging tattoos, please let me know. Jews are not supposed to do this to the body anyway and given the history of tattoos in concentration camps, please no. Just no. I hope I can instill this in my son.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I was able to discourage one of my kids. He was 10 and told me tattoos were cool and he wanted on. I said Hmm. Really? Well what if you'd gotten one when you were 5. What would it have been of? He said "I don't know" I said "Well you were really into Spongebob Square Pants. I bet you would have gotten a Spongebob tattoo" and he got this horrified look on his face and never brought it up again. (He's 21 now. No tattoos.)

It didn't work with Mini-Mac though. She's going to get one the instant she turns 18. Maybe I should try the "if you get one, I'll get one to match and show everyone on FB our matching tats" trick. Because she'd HATE that.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    If anyone discovers a foolproof method for discouraging tattoos, please let me know. Jews are not supposed to do this to the body anyway and given the history of tattoos in concentration camps, please no. Just no. I hope I can instill this in my son.
    I wonder if I should tell this to my friend who has the Star of David and something in Hebrew script on his arm...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I was able to discourage one of my kids. He was 10 and told me tattoos were cool and he wanted on. I said Hmm. Really? Well what if you'd gotten one when you were 5. What would it have been of? He said "I don't know" I said "Well you were really into Spongebob Square Pants. I bet you would have gotten a Spongebob tattoo" and he got this horrified look on his face and never brought it up again. (He's 21 now. No tattoos.)

It didn't work with Mini-Mac though. She's going to get one the instant she turns 18. Maybe I should try the "if you get one, I'll get one to match and show everyone on FB our matching tats" trick. Because she'd HATE that.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. My coworker actually has several, and I never pegged her as someone who would have them. But they're just small symbols on places that don't show when she wears work clothes. I think that's the important part - for many jobs, you have to hide tats and then it just gets to be an annoyance if you have an entire sleeve of them.

vCash
    I think I may have told this story before, but I knew a girl in college who had, erm, interesting tattoos. We were seated side by side in the car for a long field trip and she was telling me that she had a little shamrock and a little chili pepper on her stomach, to represent her Irish and Mexican heritage. She says she'll show me when we get to our destination. Seems cool, until two hours later we get out of the car, I've completely forgotten about this conversation, and she yanks up her shirt to reveal the most tattoo I've ever seen - it was basically a giant chili pepper (like the restaurant Chili's absolutely nothing artsy about it - with a HUGE shamrock behind it, tendrils coming out of the shamrock and extending all over her stomach. I was just

She got pregnant shortly afterwards, I always kind of wondered how that tattoo looked afterwards

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    I wonder if I should tell this to my friend who has the Star of David and something in Hebrew script on his arm...
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I think I may have told this story before, but I knew a girl in college who had, erm, interesting tattoos. We were seated side by side in the car for a long field trip and she was telling me that she had a little shamrock and a little chili pepper on her stomach, to represent her Irish and Mexican heritage. She says she'll show me when we get to our destination. Seems cool, until two hours later we get out of the car, I've completely forgotten about this conversation, and she yanks up her shirt to reveal the most tattoo I've ever seen - it was basically a giant chili pepper (like the restaurant Chili's absolutely nothing artsy about it - with a HUGE shamrock behind it, tendrils coming out of the shamrock and extending all over her stomach. I was just

She got pregnant shortly afterwards, I always kind of wondered how that tattoo looked afterwards
    It was worth telling again!

vCash
    IA - I wonder if the tattoos have the same significance to the younger generation of Jews. As tats become more mainstream than currently (which is saying a lot given the number of people I know with tats), I am thinking that the younger Jews who really don't have a connection to the Holocaust other than history will buck the system.

Just musing and not meaning to disrespect any group or anything

vCash
    A friend of mine got Mickey Mouse tattooed on her thigh when she was 18. By 30, it made her feel stupid and she told everyone to not get tattoos. I told this story to an 18 year old student who was planning to get Hello Kitty on her wrist. She was not dissuaded. She is about 25 now and I'm wondering how that is working out for her.

numbers123--Jewish Law prohibits tattoos. For observant Jews, the issue is not just the use of tattoos at Auschwitz.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I think you may be right, numbers. Less connection to their background and more connection to the mainstream culture. And yes, I think tattoos are more mainstream now--Sasha Cohen has one IIRC, on one of her wrists of the infinity symbol.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I got my tattoo when I turned 50. (where's that shrug icon?)
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    I don't think it's that big of a deal. My coworker actually has several, and I never pegged her as someone who would have them. But they're just small symbols on places that don't show when she wears work clothes. I think that's the important part - for many jobs, you have to hide tats and then it just gets to be an annoyance if you have an entire sleeve of them.
    I have one too. But I was 54 when I got it and I thought pretty hard about it. Mini-Mac is constantly drawing on herself and changing her mind about what she thinks is cool. She is completely the sort of person who should NOT be getting at tattoo at 18 but waiting a bit. Plus, if she gets them at the rate I think she will, she'll also be that person covered in tats by the time they are 30.

Right now she's 14 and has 3 holes in each ear with gauges in one set and a nose piercing. He hair changes color on a regular basis as well. I expect her to be like that with tats too. I was hoping she'd stick to less permanent things like piercings and hair but I don't think I'm gonna get my wish.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    numbers123--Jewish Law prohibits tattoos. For observant Jews, the issue is not just the use of tattoos at Auschwitz.
    I realize this - my niece converted to Judaism in her senior year of high school. She is very well versed about the taboo and has told most of our family about her dislike of tattoos and why.

I suspect that as time goes on, the connection will be broken. Like Catholic Church and some of the beliefs are now blurred because it didn't/doesn't fit the current societal norms.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast