Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

OCR article: Nicks retires from traveling, raising questions for Wagner

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    (04/25/2013) - As first reported in Thursday's Orange County Register and confirmed to icenetwork.com, John Nicks informed his star skater, reigning two-time U.S. champion Ashley Wagner, that he will no longer travel to competitions but said he would "continue to support her in any way she wants," including working with her at the Aliso Viejo Ice Palace rink.

Nicks, who turned 84 on Monday, said he expects to continue to talk with Wagner over the next three weeks, while she makes her decision on which direction she wants to go.
    Wagner met with Nicks on Wednesday in Los Angeles, where she is attending a pre-Olympic media event and photo shoot for NBC. She is then scheduled to finish touring with Stars on Ice in Canada.
    Orange County Register article (subscription required):
    Nicks retires from traveling, raising questions for Wagner
    BY SCOTT M. REID
    Hall of Fame figure skating coach John Nicks has decided to retire from traveling, creating uncertainty around two-time U.S. champion Ashley Wagner's quest for a medal at the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, the Orange County Register has learned. Nicks, 84, told Wagner of his decision in a meeting in Los Angeles on Wednesday. Wagner, who is ...
    Wed Apr 24, 2013
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm sure she can continue to work with him and maybe he'll decide to travel to Sochi (assuming she goes). But as for the GP events and nationals, she'll probably need to find another coach to be there with her.

vCash
    This makes Phillip Mills leaving even bigger now because he would have most likely took over as her coach as well as choreographer. This is the last thing Ashley needs heading into the Olympic year.

vCash
    He's been tremendous at building her mental toughness. If he's still working with her at her home rink, where she spends most of her time, having a second coach (also at her home rink) who travels does not seem like a huge deal. We've seen skaters at Nationals and 4CC and Euros who are there without their regular coaches because the coach can't be in two places at once.

It is a huge deal only if she lets it be a huge deal.

If John Nicks is tired of all the travel at age 84, who could blame him?

vCash
    Maybe she could have Priscilla Hill work with her again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Why stop there. Give Shirley Hughes a call.

vCash
    Are Frank Caroll or Rafael Arutunian located too far from Ashley's home rink?

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    Are Frank Caroll or Rafael Arutunian located too far from Ashley's home rink?
    Palm Springs and Lake Arrowhead are each about 1.5-2 hours from Aliso Viejo.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Palm Springs and Lake Arrowhead are each about 1.5-2 hours from Aliso Viejo.
    Maybe Ashley could move somewhere close to Aliso Viejo if she still wants Nicks to continue working with her, at least during her training. If that isn't possible, she might could meet with Nicks at Aliso Viejo a couple of times per week. I'm sure there could be some type of arrangements made where it could be easier for her.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    She can hire a bunch of us from FSU as we've been virtually coaching just about every skater in the World. So if she goes to SA, an American FSUer will be by her side. Followed by a European FSU coach if she toes to Moscow or Paris. Volunteers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    She can hire a bunch of us from FSU as we've been virtually coaching just about every skater in the World. So if she goes to SA, an American FSUer will be by her side. Followed by a European FSU coach if she toes to Moscow or Paris. Volunteers?
    Lol! This.
    Last edited by jdonavan; 04-26-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The IN article has been updated with comments by Wagner: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "He's still going to coach me," said Wagner, who has been spending the last two days doing photo shoots and media interviews in preparation for the upcoming Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, in February. "He's still going to be my main coach. He just won't be traveling with me."
    Wagner said she has discussed with Nicks potential coaches who might be willing to travel and plans to finalize a decision within the next few weeks. She also said she has lined up choreographers for both her short and free programs for the upcoming season but would not say who they are. Wagner and choreographer Phillip Mills parted ways earlier this month.

"I have talked with Mr. Nicks about people who would be a good fit," said Wagner when asked about potential coaches. "I feel pretty set."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm pretty sure that Karen Kwan/Peter Oppegard or Tammy Gambill are closer to Ashley if she wants to stay near Aliso Viejo

vCash
    Unless Mr. Nicks is on his deathbed, and I certainly pray that won't be the case, I can't imagine him ever passing up the chance to attend another Olympics. I predict that if Ashley makes the team, he'll be in Sochi. This isn't the first time he's said stuff like this. Didn't Ashley call him out just earlier this year for his flair for dramatic announcements?

vCash
    I think they both hinted at this earlier this season, Nicks first, but we fans decided he would be retiring, and she came out and said no.

The thing with Mills may have come out because she knew this was coming and perhaps she did not want Mills as her competition coach, so he pulled the well I quit thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That may well happen. You may not recall, but when Ashely left Hill, she said that they might work together again in the future. Maybe that was in anticipation of something like this happening.

Well , evidently not lmao.
    Last edited by Iceman; 04-26-2013 at 01:56 PM.

vCash
    Glad to see her presenting a calm confidant exterior through all of this. You go, girl!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Different choreographer, different coach, Olympic year....

She should probably go it alone and bring Danny Kwan.

vCash
    There doesn't seem to be as much drama here as the news articles would suggest: He will continue to coach her, but she'll find a coach/advisor on Nick's suggestion to travel with.

A Tammy Gambill pairing sounds intriguing to me, though.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I suspect Gambill has all the skaters she can handle at the moment. I think half of the novice and junior winners at Nationals were hers along with her senior skaters.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast