Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    CNN interview w the chairman of the house intelligence committee: he says the suspects originally were planning a second bombing in the Boston area. They changed their plans to NYC after their photos were released.

He also says the Russian authorities have not been helpful in this investigation.

He says there are additional "persons of interest" in the US.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    Damn. I was hoping that Family would find him alive. Sadly...

vCash
    (He knew the younger from something?) However, I found it somewhat dubious at the time as neither suspect had ties to MIT. But maybe someone read what I did and remembers more details.
    Sean Collier had a connection to the gym where the older brother boxed, I believe.

vCash
    Can we please merge these threads? This is getting ridiculous moving some posts to one forum thread, but not otheres. There's no reason all the general updates can't go together. We have some in one, some in another, and some in both.

This was a terrorist bombing on US soil--it's going to have some controversy around it. But this arbitrary moving of posts is just nonsensical.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Well, there currently are 2 similar Patrick Chan threads in GSD. Speaking for myself, I don't mind having 2 threads on this topic with the terrorist/political discussion being in PI.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Can we please merge these threads? This is getting ridiculous moving some posts to one forum thread, but not otheres. There's no reason all the general updates can't go together. We have some in one, some in another, and some in both.

This was a terrorist bombing on US soil--it's going to have some controversy around it. But this arbitrary moving of posts is just nonsensical.
    Agree.

vCash
    I spend very little time in PI.
    I hoped for a thread where the event; particularly the positive events occurring in its' aftermath, could be discussed without political acrimony and rancor.
    Is that too much to ask?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I spend very little time in PI.
    I hoped for a thread where the event; particularly the positive events occurring in its' aftermath, could be discussed without political acrimony and rancor.
    Is that too much to ask?
    I guess this OTBT thread is to be that place. This was posted in the PI thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    But since there still seems to be some confusion about this, allow me to repeat:

For clarity purposes, this thread is now about US government policies and terrorism. Everything else--education, updates, police investigations, all of that - - goes in the other thread. Okay

vCash
    Twitter:

Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 8h
    That is a seriously great magazine cover: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...s-cover/64578/
    Check out the cover of the next issue of Boston magazine...on stands this Friday.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed ‏@BuzzFeed 14m
    Carjacking victim describes harrowing night http://b.globe.com/180meG9

From the Bloc
    vCash
    The thing that strikes me about the murder of the MIT officer is that it's a bit of "one of these things just doesn't belong." Maybe it's because I don't have the mindset of a murderer or a terrorist, but I would think that killing a specific person, up close and deliberately, is a big difference from setting bombs in a crowd of anonymous victims and returning fire from a bunch of law enforcement people you can't see. To me it's sort of a leap to a different kind of crime, and a different kind of criminal.

(I'm not saying they didn't do it, just that it doesn't fit in with the rest of their crime spree, and it makes me wonder if more crimes will be uncovered as the investigation continues.)

vCash
    Tsarnaev has been moved to a federal prison hospital at Fort Devens in Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The thing that strikes me about the murder of the MIT officer is that it's a bit of "one of these things just doesn't belong." Maybe it's because I don't have the mindset of a murderer or a terrorist, but I would think that killing a specific person, up close and deliberately, is a big difference from setting bombs in a crowd of anonymous victims and returning fire from a bunch of law enforcement people you can't see. To me it's sort of a leap to a different kind of crime, and a different kind of criminal.

(I'm not saying they didn't do it, just that it doesn't fit in with the rest of their crime spree, and it makes me wonder if more crimes will be uncovered as the investigation continues.)
    Danny, the guy who was carjacked, said that when the bombers carjacked him, Tamerlan told him that they were the bombers and that they'd just killed a police officer in Cambridge:
    http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...JNN/story.html

Danny says that he was able to escape when the brothers realized his car needed gas. They pulled into a Shell station which only took cash, and that fact is what gave him his break:

After a zigzagging trek through Brighton, Watertown, and back to Cambridge, Danny would seize his chance for escape at the Shell Station on Memorial Drive, his break turning on two words -- “cash only” -- that had rarely seemed so welcome.

When the younger brother, Dzhokhar, was forced to go inside the Shell Food Mart to pay, older brother Tamerlan put his gun in the door pocket to fiddle with a navigation device -- letting his guard down briefly after a night on the run. Danny then did what he had been rehearsing in his head. In a flash, he unbuckled his seat belt, opened the door, stepped through, slammed it behind, and sprinted off at an angle that would be a hard shot for any marksman.

“F---!” he heard Tamerlan say, feeling the rush of a near-miss grab at his back, but the man did not follow. Danny reached the haven of a Mobil station across the street, seeking cover in the supply room, shouting for the clerk to call 911.
    ...The brothers took off. The clerk, after brief confusion, dialed 911 on a portable phone, bringing it to Danny in the storeroom. The dispatcher told him to take a deep breath. The officers, arriving in minutes, took his story -- with Danny noting that the car could be tracked by his iPhone and by a two-way Mercedes satellite system known as mbrace.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Bless him for reminding them that the car and phone could be tracked.
    The task of locating the suspects would have been much more protracted without these technological innovations.

vCash
    MIT police officer Sean Collier has posthumously been named a member of the Somerville Police Department; it was a life-long dream of his to become a Somerville police officer.

EDIT: Via Twitter...

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 52m
    10 signs of hope after 11 very long days http://ow.ly/ks4PO
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-26-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Beach Bum
    vCash

I know, it is odd that the officer was shot sitting in his car. I can see if he was getting out to pursue them. I wonder if he saw them and flashed his car lights or used his microphone or was following them slowly in the car while they were walking? I haven't seen many details about this other than the media reports that there is surveillance video.

I like that this thread isn't about US political response to terrorism. With all the conflicting media "as it happens" reporting, I like this to be about figuring out what did happen and how the victims are doing, and not having to sift through posts about enemy combatants etc.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    ...Danny, the guy who was carjacked, said that when the bombers carjacked him, Tamerlan told him that they were the bombers and that they'd just killed a police officer in Cambridge:
    http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013...JNN/story.html

Danny says that he was able to escape when the brothers realized his car needed gas. They pulled into a Shell station which only took cash, and that fact is what gave him his break:
    wow just wow.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Danny = one courageous SOB. I would have pissed myself!

The Onefund is now up to $20m and from what I have read, it will be needed.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3156996.html
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    There was a report somewhere that the police were now going to re-investigate the murder of some acquaintance of the older brother who had been murdered with the idea that maybe he had something to do with it.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    MIT police officer Sean Collier has posthumously been named a member of the Somerville Police Department; it was a life-long dream of his to become a Somerville police officer.
    Oh, that's so sad, and sweet.

vCash
    The businesses in the area may be denied their insurance claims for things like damage and loss of income, if the government officially declares this to be an "act of terrorism". If it's not officially declared, the companies' regular insurance will apply. But if it is officially declared, and the company never bought a separate rider for terrorism, it will not:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/insurance-payou...130042782.html

Hartwig said the Treasury secretary, secretary of state and attorney general are under no obligation to certify within a specific timeline whether the bombing was a terrorist act.

"Until then, insurers will proceed to adjust the claims and work with policyholders just as it would have been in a natural disaster of some sort," Hartwig said.

To be certified as a terrorist act, they must also assess whether insured damage, like building damage and lost income, exceeds $5 million.

If these officials don't certify the bombing as a terrorist act, the businesses' standard policy would apply.

Part of the definition for a terrorist act in the federal law states that the attack must have been "committed by an individual or individuals as part of an effort to coerce the civilian population of the United States or to influence the policy or affect the conduct of the United States Government by coercion."
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast