Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    I'm sure that it will be much appreciated.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed News ‏@BuzzFeedNews 55s
    Brown Univ. posts statement on death of student Sunil Tripathi on Facebook https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/sta...649792/photo/1
    Boston Globe News ‏@GlobeMetro 13m
    Video tributes to the Boston Marathon attacks http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ga...thon_bombings/ … via @BostonDotCom
    EDIT:

BBC News US ‏@BBCNewsUS 13m
    VIDEO: "I will dance again." Dancer who lost left foot in the #Boston Marathon bombings begins long road of recovery http://bbc.in/ZPALOj
    EDIT2:

US Olympic Team ‏@USOlympic 3m
    "Bostonians are tough, proud and resilient...We will come back stronger" -@StevenLangton on being #BostonStrong >> http://ow.ly/kqr72
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.

vCash
    I'm glad they found Sunil. Very sad story.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:

Thanks for the updates on Tripathi. I am so heartbroken for his family. Hopefully he can now rest in peace and my prayers thoughts to his family.

vCash
    Twitter:

Michelle Shephard ‏@shephardm 3m
    #SunilTripathi’s family: “Take care of one another. Be gentle, be compassionate ... We need it. The world needs it.” http://bit.ly/12KzH2C

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Moved from the other thread, where we have been talking about the parents telling people that their youngest son was in his second year of med school (only we won't be talking about it there any more):

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    You don't need to have a particular major to go to medical school: you need a certain number of pre-requisite courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    You can major in anything to go to medical or dental school as long as you take all the prerequisite courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    My neurosurgeon was an English major his first two undergraduate years, with a focus on Elizabethan poetry, no less. Changed course and crammed all the necessary science courses his junior and senior years.
    You'd think that a person who taught at the college-level for more than 20 years and whose grad school English-major office-mate went on to med school would know this already, wouldn't you?

My point was in relation to this specific comment:

Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    We'd talked about this particular point earlier. Then, I'd said that I think his dad might just be confused, because in most foreign countries, as Zemgirl mentioned, you study medicine as an undergraduate degree. It's understandable that the dad would be confused.
    I don't think the dad was confused because there is no indication that the son was on his way to med school--even though I know perfectly well that one can major in any number of things and still go to med school. However, most people who do that decide to go to med school after majoring in something else and THEN deciding to go to med school. They do not major in marine biology with the intent of going to med school.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    NYC Mayor Bloomberg said that the Boston suspects had been planning to drive to NYC in that carjacked Mercedes, and use their remaining explosives in NYC. However, when the carjacking victim escaped, that made it so this second attack did not happen:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/bombers-planned...opstories.html

We were informed by the FBI that the surviving attacker revealed that NYC was next on the list of targets he told the FBI apparently that he and his brother had planned to drive to NY and detonate additional explosives in Time Square, they had built these additional explosives and we know they had the capacity to carry out the attacks.
    The guy whose car had been carjacked had said he'd heard the suspects talking about Manhattan. And originally, the suspect said that he and his brother had planned to drive to NYC to party. He changed his story and said they planned to head to Times Square to set off further explosives.

That article also says that the suspect will soon be moved to a prison with medical facilities.

ETA: Here is a second source, this one the AP, which talks about the suspects' plans to use explosives in NYC:
    http://news.yahoo.com/police-boston-...182015679.html
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-25-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'm confused as to what happened between when the carjack victim escaped and the suspects got into the shootout in Watertown. Did police chase them down after the carjack victim called police?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Here is an interview with the guy who was carjacked. He talks about how he managed to escape:
    http://www.wlwt.com/news/Suspected-b...d/-/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I'm confused as to what happened between when the carjack victim escaped and the suspects got into the shootout in Watertown. Did police chase them down after the carjack victim called police?
    From what I can tell, the carjacked man was carjacked at about 10:30-pm, and escaped at about 11pm. He ran across the street and called 911. The police responded, and as part of that response, were able to find the Mercedes. They chased it, and the suspects inside shot at them and began throwing explosives. Tamerlan was caught. Tamerlan was on the ground, in handcuffs with the police there with him. Dzhokhar was still in the car. Dzhokhar gunned the engine and ran the car at the police officers, witness describing it as his driving directly at them and very quickly. The police officers scrambled away, and Dzhokhar ran over Tamerlan. Dzhokhar took off in the car, abandoning it and then escaping on foot.

The FBI says that the suspects had been planning to drive the Mercedes to NYC. That was why they had so many explosives with them.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 04-25-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    That is my understanding -- the car jacking took place sometime after 11 p.m. but I believe that the shootout was sometime after midnight (there's probably a timeline that I can't find at the moment). If the carjacking victim phoned the police, they would have had an ID on its plates.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    That is my understanding -- the car jacking took place sometime after 11 p.m. but I believe that the shootout was sometime after midnight (there's probably a timeline that I can't find at the moment). If the carjacking victim phoned the police, they would have had an ID on its plates.
    Oh that makes sense.

The carjack victim is looking more and more like a humongous hero in this.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I think the carjacking victim escaped and got to a local gas station where they called police, and because the carjacking victim had conveniently left his cell phone in the car, they were able to use that as a GPS to find the car.

vCash
    Feel good story - Boston, Mass & Hillcrest, Tx hospitals send food to each other:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...ws-health.html

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Oh yeah I forgot about the cellphone. Thanks, guys, that fills in the gaps. So the suspects headed to Watertown then following the call to police from the gas station where the carjack victim had fled the police were able to pinpoint where the car was because of the cellphone and confront the suspects in Watertown. Wow.

And if the carjack victim had not escaped they might have headed to New York without being stopped. Though the killing of the MIT police officer would have had the police alerted so maybe they could have tracked them before they got there.
    Last edited by BlueRidge; 04-25-2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correct an errant not

vCash
    Found a timeline on Reuters of the events from last Thursday/Friday, although there are some errors (reports that the carjack victim was "released" but he actually escaped) it seems to cover most things. Somehow the carjack victim's cellphone escaped my notice despite my reading many articles.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post
    I think the carjacking victim escaped and got to a local gas station where they called police, and because the carjacking victim had conveniently left his cell phone in the car, they were able to use that as a GPS to find the car.
    Yes, that's right. I recall reading that as well. They traced the carjacking victim's cell phone, which was still in the car, and that's how they found the car.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Found a timeline on Reuters of the events from last Thursday/Friday, although there are some errors (reports that the carjack victim was "released" but he actually escaped) it seems to cover most things. Somehow the carjack victim's cellphone escaped my notice despite my reading many articles.
    Thanks for that, skatingfan5. I guess we really don't know what happened that led to the murder of Sean Collier?

vCash
    Thanks for that, skatingfan5. I guess we really don't know what happened that led to the murder of Sean Collier?
    What I have heard and read (although I don't have a link now), is that apparently they wanted his gun (because they only had one gun plus a pellet gun) and so cold-bloodedly shot him in the head as he sat in his squad car, just to get his gun. Which they failed to do, because his holster had a locking system and they couldn't get the gun out. A completely pointless and tragic loss of that young officer's life. Of course, all the other deaths and maimings those brothers caused were tragic and pointless, too.

ETA: Here's a link from CBS News from two days ago with the theory I posted. Not sure if any more information has come out to change that idea.
    Last edited by skatingfan5; 04-25-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yes, that's right. I recall reading that as well. They traced the carjacking victim's cell phone, which was still in the car, and that's how they found the car.
    It was so CSI so that's why I remembered it.

What I have heard and read (although I don't have a link now), is that apparently they wanted his gun (because they only had one gun plus a pellet gun) and so cold-bloodedly shot him in the head as he sat in his squad car, just to get his gun. Which they failed to do, because his holster had a locking system and they couldn't get the gun out. A completely pointless and tragic loss of that young officer's life. Of course, all the other deaths and maimings those brothers caused were tragic and pointless, too.
    One of the reports I read said that they were afraid he had recognized them from somewhere. (He knew the younger from something?) However, I found it somewhat dubious at the time as neither suspect had ties to MIT. But maybe someone read what I did and remembers more details.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I had read/heard that the Sean Collier was reporting in via radio about a convenience store robbery and the criminals mistakenly thought he had spotted them and was reporting their presence. They killed him in the hopes of getting away before he could finish reporting reveal their location. Yesterday, I read that they failed to get the officer's gun out of the holster, now I understand why.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast