Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash

Boston Marathon bombing aftermath: Stories, tributes, details

New thread for OTBT safe posts for people who want to post about the victims and tributes to them, stories of those who were involved, how Boston is getting back to normal, etc.

For those who want to bloviate on international terrorism may follow this link to PI: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...sion-continued
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    For those in the area, there's free two-hour parking in Back Bay through Sunday. WCVB (Channel 5) is promotion the "Boylston is Back" event on Saturday urging folks who can to spend $25 at businesses in the zone.

This is what I know about merchandise that benefits The One Fund. If you ordered a Red Sox B Strong hat, it should be hitting your doorstep soon. They sold out the first production run and are just shipping the second. The first run of Adidas shirts are en route to the folks who ordered them. The Emerson College student's Boston Strong shirts are in production and will ship this weekend.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    If I remember correctly from what Tom Bergeron said, next week DWTS is going to have a special tribute for an aspiring dancer who lost a foot in the explosion. Tom was actually quite choked up as he talked about her.

I also heard this morning that sales of the "Sweet Caroline" track have increased over 500% since the explosion and Neil Diamond is donating a portion of the sales $.
    Can't skate but love to watch

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    There is free counseling to those traumatized by the bombings being offered by this counseling practice: http://www.thriveboston.com/boston-c...ounseling.html
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    If I remember correctly from what Tom Bergeron said, next week DWTS is going to have a special tribute for an aspiring dancer who lost a foot in the explosion. Tom was actually quite choked up as he talked about her.
    As of this morning, Adrianne Haslet-Davis is still in the hospital. Not sure if she will be able to travel to LA. One of my golf buddies takes lessons at Arthur Murray and has worked with Adrianne at several showcases in the area. My friend says she's really nice and is one of the better AM teachers.

Update: She has been released to a rehab facility. Not sure if she can get medical clearance to fly.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 04-25-2013 at 02:45 PM.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I also heard this morning that sales of the "Sweet Caroline" track have increased over 500% since the explosion and Neil Diamond is donating a portion of the sales $.
    It's interesting that the song is now being associated so closely with the Boston Red Sox. They've been playing it for years I know, but so have many other sports venues - I used to go to Rangers games at Madison Square Garden, and that song was played every game - and not just played, but sung loudly by the entire crowd while play on the ice stopped. I guess no one will be able to play it again without everyone thinking it's a Boston tribute, which isn't such a bad thing, but perhaps a shame for fans of teams who thought it was "our thing."

for Neil Diamond turning its newfound prominence to benefit survivors of the bombings.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I never knew it was associated with the Red Sox.

vCash
    Thanks for starting this thread, BR!

The Boston Globe is back to limited free access to their articles -- here's one that recounts the terrible left knee injury suffered by Beth Roche in the blast and includes interviews with several doctors and surgeons on their decisions whether or not to amputate: http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle...18O/story.html
    Ten days after bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon finish line, surgeons still are working tirelessly to repair and save the lower limbs of grievously injured spectators, and some patients may not know for months, or even years, whether reconstructive operations will return them to near normal.

Fourteen people are known to have lost legs or feet immediately after the explosions. Their limbs were either completely torn away or were clearly too damaged for surgeons to restore without risking their lives.
    ETA re. "Sweet Caroline":
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    I never knew it was associated with the Red Sox.
    I never knew before the bombing either.
    The singer [Diamond] recorded the song in 1969 as an homage to Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of the late President John F. Kennedy. It has nothing to do with the Red Sox.

According to the Boston Globe, Amy Tobey, who chose the music played at games, is responsible for bringing the tune to Fenway. In 2002, new management requested the song become an eighth-inning staple.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/24/showbi...ies/index.html
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-25-2013 at 03:24 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

In Search of a Lost Chord
    The big space where the rest of your childhood forgets as a dream and the harshness of life dims the peaches and cream.
    vCash
    http://news.yahoo.com/meet-9-recover...192700737.html

The above links to some of the survivors of the blast.

Thanks BR for starting this thread.
    Happiness is being married to your best friend!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I mean it's associated now, not that it was written that way. Teams and their players often take on a song as a sort of theme or feature of games and fans get into - I was just saying that Sweet Caroline has long been a popular song in sports venues, including Fenway Park, and now it's taken on a whole new significance specifically related to the Red Sox and the bombings.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    As of this morning, Adrianne Haslet-Davis is still in the hospital. Not sure if she will be able to travel to LA. One of my golf buddies takes lessons at Arthur Murray and has worked with Adrianne at several showcases in the area. My friend says she's really nice and is one of the better AM teachers.

Update: She has been released to a rehab facility. Not sure if she can get medical clearance to fly.
    http://bostonherald.com/inside_track...e_haslet_davis

This article says the film crew is going to Boston.
    Derek Hough said he would like to dance with her on the show when she is ready. Obviously, not this season.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Can I post updates to the news on the suspects here in this thread? I can move this if this is the wrong thread, as I'm (obviously) not clear on what's good to go here, and what has to go in PI.

The police have reported that they've found emptied shells for large fireworks in a clothing donation bin in Watertown. They are checking to see if these fireworks are linked to the bombing suspects:
    http://gma.yahoo.com/feds-cache-fire...opstories.html

That article also says that the younger suspect was questioned without Miranda for 16 hours, as long as they felt they could do it. Then they Mirandized him.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I think details that we learn about the bombing and the manhunt go here, Garr.

vCash
    I seem to recall seeing Tom on a red carpet right after the bombing. He's from Boston, and said his wife and daughter were in Boston at that time (safe and unharmed).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    So this thread is and

And the PI thread is and

In other words, the usual.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    The running industry has started some sort of coalition to promote running and raise money for the One Boston fund:

http://www.runnow.com

There was an article about how interest in qualifying for Boston has spiked but it was based on Google searches so I'm skeptical. I mean I searched for "Boston Qualifying Times" right after the bombing and my interest in qualifying has gone up a *bit* but I'm not even running right now so it's not like that interest is going to translate into anything real in the immediate future.

Gar, I'm not a big fan of the "two thread" approach but I think as long as we don't get into a big political discussion here, it should be fine.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    This showed up on my Twitter feed - The May cover of Boston magazine, a heart shape made of shoes from the marathon: http://ow.ly/i/1Y6K9
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Twitter:

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 18m
    Family of missing Brown student Sunil Tripathi says he was found Tuesday in waters off Providence.

Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 15m
    Family says it feels indescribable grief, but also incredibly grateful to people for their support. Tripathi was missing more than a month.

vCash
    Twitter:

ThinkProgress ‏@thinkprogress 5s
    Boston hospitals and insurers will wave most medical bills for bombing victims http://thkpr.gs/ZKFcgv

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    That is so good to hear and that Tufts Medical says it will also cover mental health is really important.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast