Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Can the USFSA named people to the Olympic team regardless of nationals placement, like they can do for worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    For dance and pairs we saw D/W, Shibs, and Denney/Coughlin only? I thought we might see Castelli/Shnapir.
    And, the fact that D/C did not compete after the GP events? USOC skipped over the US pair medalists for the photo shoot? :-( At the very least, C/S should have been invited. And Chock/Bates not there? Bad form, USOC.

vCash
    To be honest i don't see C/S making the Olympic team next year. They might be lucky to make the top 4 with teams coming back from injury like D/C and other teams passing them up like S/K.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    To be honest i don't see C/S making the Olympic team next year. They might be lucky to make the top 4 with teams coming back from injury like D/C and other teams passing them up like S/K.
    Ya it is going to be interesting that due to the National medalists in Pairs and Dance were not invited and if the ones they have there do not make it and are passed up. Reminds me of the year that M/B where invited did this and got a coke sponsorship and never made the Olympics. I would think the USOC would be reminded of that and bring the top two or three medalist in pairs and dance..such bad form I agree.

They did that with singles but not Pairs or Dance...bummer

vCash
    Some of these photos are nice, but the lighting is just horrible!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    It's good for some skaters but not others... but what bugs me is Jeremy Abbott's shoot... I don't think it captures who he is as a skater or as a person(even if I'm not quite sure about this second part...). Max Aaron on the other hand is well portrayed, IMHO.

vCash
    ITA, the lighting doesn't seem to work in many of the shots. I don't think all of the posing is very effective or flattering either, but photography is about taking lots of photos, not all of which will work well. I wonder if the photographers are used to taking photos of skaters, or mainly of athletes in a variety of sports. I don't recognize the photographers as being well known figure skating photographers such as Leah Adams and Jay Adeff who know more about the skaters and the sport.

I agree that Max's shoot is more successful because the posing seems to better reference his sp and the sp costume he's wearing in some of the pics. Gracie's and Ashley's shoots were pretty good and they are both photogenic, although Ashley's casual full-length shots weren't very flattering.

Jeremy seems as if he's auditioning for the role of Clark Kent. Would be cool if he's able to morph into Superman next season.

I think the "Mountains" set is a very good backdrop. Probably great photos come once the subject and the photographer are relaxed and in tune with each other, which isn't always easy to accomplish within a limited scheduling timetable. Would be wonderful to see what a top-notch photographer like Annie Liebovitz could do for the skaters.

Johnny Weir has generally always tended to look good in his past photo shoots. Probably the camera loves him.

vCash
    More from the photo shoot...via new Max tweet:

Max Aaron ‏@MaxTAaron 3m
    So lucky to be apart of so many amazing sets! I had such a blast! @nbcolympics @NBCSN #roadtosochi #Tron http://instagram.com/p/YqpEdxI2F_/

vCash
    That is a very good picture of Max - he looks great!

vCash
    No Nagasu? ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No Nagasu? ...
    Should there be?

Although if they're including Lysacek maybe there should...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No Nagasu? ...
    A lot of hopefuls were left out. Nagasu was 7th at Nationals, Hicks who was 4th didn't go, and even though Gao was only 5th she also made the GPF and was 4th (highest of all the US ladies at 4CC) which is probably why she was sent more so than her Nationals placement. In the men's, no Farris who is JW champ and was 4th at Nationals, no Dornbush who was 5th at 4CC, no Rippon - who wasn't that great this season but was still 5th at Nats and has been considered one of the main "contender" men for a few years now. So it's not that much of a surprise. The selection might be pretty random too.

Ashley's costume pictures are gorgeous but some of those shots of her in her sweatsuit are pretty awkward/bad...at least for someone as pretty and (usually) photogenic as she is...idk if it's the smile or the camerawork but everything just looks a bit odd, and there's no reason for it, she's stunning and can take a good picture as you can see from the other shots.

vCash
    Jeremy and the glasses, strange. Is he going to skate with them on next year?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeLurker View Post
    I have to agree. Maybe it's because part of my job is art direction and working with photographers. But I'm not so enamored with these images as everyone else seems to be. Very poorly lit.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I have to agree. Maybe it's because part of my job is art direction and working with photographers. But I'm not so enamored with these images as everyone else seems to be. Very poorly lit.
    Agreed; many of the pix have an odd look about them.

vCash
    More photos by USFS from the lifestyle shoot: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gal...nt_id=45759774

Agnes Zawadzki tweeted that this was one of her favorite shots: http://instagram.com/p/Y0VpWxA4jg/

Christina Gao: "A funny shot from the LA promo shoots! I love my pandas!" http://instagram.com/p/Y0BxnRJjaP/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Agreed; many of the pix have an odd look about them.
    Yes, as I mentioned, I find the lighting and some of the posing very odd. Again, it seems to me that perhaps figure skating photographers or more top-notch photographers could have done a better job. These skaters are extremely good-looking people but some of the shots do seem awkward and kinda like turned around mirror-image odd-looking.

On a positive note, the good looks of the skaters salvage some of the photos. But there's no excuse for the odd unflattering casual full-length pics of Ashley. She's diva-esque good-looking and a skilled, experienced photographer should be able to deliver her best attributes in photos. Contrast Ashley's recent Jay Adeff photo shoot.

vCash
    Anyone want to guess how many winter athletes in total were photographed in the 5 days of the shoot (published on Getty Images)?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Christina Gao: "A funny shot from the LA promo shoots! I love my pandas!" http://instagram.com/p/Y0BxnRJjaP/
    Uber-cute!

vCash
    ^^ Ha, ha. Wins the best shot, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Anyone want to guess how many winter athletes in total were photographed in the 5 days of the shoot (published on Getty Images)?
    Can't guess. Please tell us.

Scheduling, time limitations, and quantity of athletes are IMO no excuse for not doing a better job with the photographs, particularly the lighting. Take the time necessary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast