Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    I started out collecting coffee mugs which has morphed over time into collecting Starbucks City Mugs. I very rarely drink Starbucks coffee, but I love their mugs. In 2007 I met up in Paris with some friends from the Netherlands whom I hadn’t seen in years. Each morning they wanted to go to Starbucks for coffee and I didn’t because, well, I was in Paris and wanted to go to a café or anyplace but a Starbucks (or McDonalds). So the last day we were in Paris, my friends turned up with a present for me – a Paris Starbucks mug. I’ve been collecting them ever since.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    I collect magnets from cities/states/countries I visit. They're easy to find, inexpensive, and the fridge is a perfect place to display them.

I try to get ones related to what I did there - we swam with stingrays in Antigua, so I got a stingray magnet.

vCash
    I don't know if this is a collection per se, but I am a digital hoarder. For at least the past seven years, I have been voraciously downloading anything and everything. I subscribe to at least 150 podcasts, my music library is in the thousands and runs the range from audiobooks to Madonna, I have more photos than I care to or can admit... you name the file type, I have tons of it. So much so that I have two external hard drives attached to my computer, and I am always moving things around just to save space. My computer has 250 GB and my external hard drives are 300 GB and 500 GB, making for a total of just over 1 TB.

vCash
    Exercise dvds and land hermit crabs.

vCash
    I collect specific Royal Albert china (Ancestral Series, Val D'Or and Braemar)I also am working on getting old classic books (hardcover)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    old compacts and handbags and peter's posts
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    old compacts and handbags and peter's posts
    my bold -
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    starbucks mugs (from places i have been) love them the perfect size for a decent coffee!!

vCash
    Interesting topic.

I collect my theatre tickets along with programs. Have been doing so since I was a kid. Most disappointing thing these days is gradually the tickets are turning into paper that you print off the internet or those ones similar to shopping receipts.

As well as those I do collect cat stuff. I am prepared to spend money on good value cat figurines and they must be nice looking, not ugly. And I do like cat fridge magnets. My mum has twigged onto this and has brought me back some really good cat stuff from her overseas trips.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Just remembered - for awhile I collected autographs too, from writing to my favorite athletes. My favorites are Shawn Johnson (she sent me a handwritten letter too), Alissa Czisny (also sent me a long handwritten letter), Nastia Liukin and Chellsie Memmel (standard autographed photos).

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    This thread reminds me of an episode of Ellen, where her co-worker, Pam, was addicted to collecting plates:

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfwrIuU-Ao

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5Z6-f-d0I

It's well worth the watch. The writing is brilliant, and the ending is priceless.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    My flat mate collects magnets. Our fridge is covered with them.

A good friend has a passion for scrap-booking, and they fashion things they have seen into their work.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Pretty much anything antique or vintage that strikes my fancy. Breyer model horses (not as obsessively as I once did, but I will still pick up an old one if it's one I want and don't have....twenty years I waited for that Gold Charm Secretariat special release but thanks to eBay....) Edward Gorey prints and books. Certain ocean liner things, that often falls under antiques. Crossover with books in that I wound up with THREE copies of C.H. Lightoller's "Titanic and Other Ships"---a modern POD reading copy, a vintage paperback from its brief paperback release, and finally scored the original hardcover for only 100 GPB (thank God the seller apparently didn't search and see what other sellers wanted for it.)

I don't so much collect books as hoard them. Someday I will be on that TV show, surrounded by books....

Oh, and Snoopy. Mostly vintage Snoopy and classic 1970s-80s Snoopy, but pretty much everything Snoopy. My friend's mom found me a Baby Snoopy lamp while Goodwilling, and another time she picked up a Snoopy phone for me. (Goodwillers and garage salers stick together...)

vCash
    BOOKS DO NOT COUNT AS HOARDING!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LynnW View Post
    I started out collecting coffee mugs which has morphed over time into collecting Starbucks City Mugs. I very rarely drink Starbucks coffee, but I love their mugs. In 2007 I met up in Paris with some friends from the Netherlands whom I hadn’t seen in years. Each morning they wanted to go to Starbucks for coffee and I didn’t because, well, I was in Paris and wanted to go to a café or anyplace but a Starbucks (or McDonalds). So the last day we were in Paris, my friends turned up with a present for me – a Paris Starbucks mug. I’ve been collecting them ever since.
    my collection started in paris too! they have now changed the design ..... i like the original ones best

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by quartz View Post
    BOOKS DO NOT COUNT AS HOARDING!!
    ...When you hit the antique malls and have to end up buying a new shelf because you bought so many books they had to find you a big cardboard box at one place?

....And then you're still piling books on the spare-room floor because you filled THAT shelf and you're out of room again and the library had a book sale and then the used bookstore had a going-out-of-business sale?

Seriously, at my parents' (much better organized, with a computer catalog) house we have literally thousands of books. Here I only have a few hundred, probably (I've never counted) and I *keep buying more.* Especially cookbooks. I really need to cut myself off. And now reading this thread I'm thinking "Hmm, haven't gone trolling on ShopGoodwill lately....." Library sales are the worst, though. I barely made it to my car without the "buck a bag" bags bursting. And that was my SECOND sweep (I went through on full price day to make sure I got good ones.)

vCash
    My sister and I get my dad Starbucks mugs when we travel. I agree, the original ones were the best.

vCash
    Gnomes. But not too many, because I have seen way too many episodes of Hoarders.

In fact, since I cannot find the gnomes I want, the plan is to sculpt my own. Maybe it can become a little business.

vCash
    danceronice, I think we need to go book hunting together! I work at a bookstore, and I go to thrift stores, yard sales, library sales...... I do however, weed out occasionally, as I have a very small house, so my collection is actually pretty manageable. I think I have about 700. If I still had every single book throughout my life, and never gotten rid of any, I would probably have 4x that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Gnomes. But not too many, because I have seen way too many episodes of Hoarders.
    You mean you don't want to be on camera clutching your gnomes while a psychiatrist who looks suspiciously like Tonya Harding tries to take them from you?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast