Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i donated a lot of books when i moved a few months ago. i thought it was a crazy amount of books. then the movers came and said they never moved so many books.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    You mean you don't want to be on camera clutching your gnomes while a psychiatrist who looks suspiciously like Tonya Harding tries to take them from you?
    she just needs 1 special gnome that sends her postcards to brighten her day

i love gnomes, my collection has topped out at 1
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    You mean you don't want to be on camera clutching your gnomes while a psychiatrist who looks suspiciously like Tonya Harding tries to take them from you?
    Since you put it that way, maybe I will expand my collection exponentially if it allows me to meet Dr. Tonya Hoarding. She's kind of awesome, her, tiptoeing around all the poo looking like $10,000.00 bucks with her luxurious hair and stylish clothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i donated a lot of books when i moved a few months ago. i thought it was a crazy amount of books. then the movers came and said they never moved so many books.
    Fortunately I am a stay in place person, as between my books and rocks(which I have been collecting since I was 6, and I don't get rid of them), I have family members who swear they will no longer help if we move again!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Really? Because there are still a lot of great music stores out there - I've spent many an hour in dodgy uneighbourhoods when we travel as my husband hunts down music, and for that matter, he often spends a few happy hours cruising sites like CD Universe and CD Japan for rare finds. I'm on a first name basis with the local UPS and FedEx delivery guys

(PS Husband's collection? You guessed it - records and CDs in the thousands!)
    my husband must have over ten thousand compact discs, vinyl records, 45 singles and cassettes in our house. He is on first name basis in every record store and no trip is complete without stopping at local music stores.

vCash
    All kinds of Peanuts collectibles, snake things (hence my name, snoopysnake), fashion dolls especially vintage Tressy and Barbie, skating books, tons of other kinds of books, cat things.

vCash
    I collect penguins! I'm wearing Penguin PJs right now. My favorite is my Pandora Penguin charm, which my mom special ordered from the UK. It's not those horribly ugly pewter-looking ones. It's small and sparkly and has a little red heart--and feet! The feet are painted. I also have a "Merry Penguinmas" wind-up Christmas thingy I love. It winks.

My mom started collecting angels for me, but I find angels creepy, so that stopped when finally got brave at 10 and told her I didn't want anymore. EVER.

I don't have a mug collection per se, but when I go places I often get a coffee mug. Since I drink coffee, they're practical. I like some of the Starbucks ones, but not the huge ones that have the city landmarks on them--I prefer the ones that are more sedate with the green and grey palette, but those must not be as popular. I have a Paris, New York, and New Orleans one.

I have a fledgling Hello Kitty one, but I try to keep that under tight control. It's too easy to buy right now and it could get overwhelming, so I've asked friends/family to not buy it for me. Unless it's shoes. That's different. I always need Hello Kitty shoes.

My two real collecting loves are:
    Real music boxes. It is also the reason why I try to keep my collections under control and not let people know I want more, more, more. For some reason, people interpret music boxes as Disney Snow Globes. I do not want Snow Globes, Disney or otherwise. I want old school, wooden music boxes where you can see the gears. I had one that played "Lara's Theme" and I loved, loved, loved it. I prefer a simple design on a wooden box or the fairy-tale Palekh. That was before I knew the name for it even.

I know this is shocking, but nesting dolls, preferably with a fairy tale design or the family ones.

If I were ever really wealthy, I would LOVE to collect old maps. I would love, love, love to have an original map with "There Be Dragons" on it. I love the look of old maps. Even though they were wrong, there was such meticulous care with detail and so beautiful from a graphic perspective. The science of cartography fascinates me; it's a true interdisciplinary social science.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I also collect bevel edged mirrors with etched designs; most of the ones I have are from the 40's and 50's. One whole wall of my living room is covered with them, and the rest I have scattered through the house. I think it helps visually expand my little house.

vCash
    When my sister wants to be especially nice, she gives me a new book shelf. But books still spill out over most surfaces and on the floor. Thank heavens my entire collection of Agatha Christie is mostly paperback, so is Nevil Shute.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieC View Post
    When my sister wants to be especially nice, she gives me a new book shelf. But books still spill out over most surfaces and on the floor. Thank heavens my entire collection of Agatha Christie is mostly paperback, so is Nevil Shute.
    My grandmother got me into Agatha Christie when I was a tween - she had them all at the family cottage. There's a series out now in hardback that reproduces the original jackets, with the original print of the text - including a few interesting things that were deleted or changed in later printings (ie a racist reference common at the time that was later deemed unacceptable). I got about 8 of them - my favourite titles that I like to read again and again. It's nice to have the originals, and they look better in a place of prominence in your library that ratty old paperbacks. Search "Agatha Christie facsimile" on Amazon.

Just me
    vCash
    I'm not a serious collector of anything, but I do like to bring home magnets from places I visit. My mother started a small teacup collection for me when I was small and if something catches my eye, I'll add to that and I keep on the look-out for small decorated metal or china boxes. I am a sucker for Christmas coffee mugs.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    Clicking her heels together and saying "there's no place like gnome, there's no place like gnome"!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I collect Christmas ornaments. When I travel I hunt out the "year round" Christmas store or look in souvenier shops for local hand made ornaments or just unusual shapes that catch my fancy. I like small ornaments and sometimes make do (due to lack of selection at the time of year) with unusual items that can be an ornament. For example I bought some keychains in Argentina where the fob was a silver star connected to the key ring by braided leather. Hung by the key ring it looks pretty good.

I have sub-collections by type (angels, stars, snowmen) and colour (silver, blue, red+white+green). I store them in little boxes with the year and where I bought them. So every year when it comes time to decorate the tree it is a little trip down memory lane. Not everything is from travel. One of my favourites is a set of silver ornaments, each embossed with a design representing the 12 days of Christmas. They came in little red velveteen drawstring bags inside a little box. They are the first ones that go on my tree.

vCash
    I collect fridge magnets and always buy one when I visit anywhere new. Now my friends bring me them back from their trips. I also have to admit to an embarrassing number of water bottles. Every time I see a new style or type - I just have to have one, even though I usually stick to my favourite few for drinking water.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Since you put it that way, maybe I will expand my collection exponentially if it allows me to meet Dr. Tonya Hoarding. She's kind of awesome, her, tiptoeing around all the poo looking like $10,000.00 bucks with her luxurious hair and stylish clothing.
    And the hoarder, or members of the family, look like Tonya after about a two month drinking and sex taping binge...

We used to have lots of books, but we weed them out regularly now. (What doesn't get weeded out are the genealogical books...). But we still go to old book stores, library sales etc. I used to have a large record collection but I gradually disposed of it after my turntable broke.

The yearly library sale is next week.

I have a few figure skating related items that I have randomly picked up over the years.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I collect books (but I'm fast running out of room for more), small ornaments from around the world, seashells, and fossils.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    If I were ever really wealthy, I would LOVE to collect old maps. I would love, love, love to have an original map with "There Be Dragons" on it. I love the look of old maps. Even though they were wrong, there was such meticulous care with detail and so beautiful from a graphic perspective. The science of cartography fascinates me; it's a true interdisciplinary social science.
    We went to Hereford Cathedral the other day, where there is a late 13th century Mappa Mundi. It has Jerusalem at the centre, but other parts of it are surprisingly accurate. It's fascinating to see.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Oh, I forgot the Tacky British Ornament Collection (TM) ! The first year I went to London with friends, I had very space in my luggage left for momentos of the trip. So I bought a flat fabric ornament of The Tower of London. Then I found one of Big Ben....and Westmister Abbey.... and now it's become something of an obsession to find The Tacky Ornament of The Visit. I have a couple dozen of them now, hanging on hooks around the upper molding on my back sunroom. I'm actually having trouble finding them now as I've been to the major tourist places. But I usually manage to come up with something to make my hosts question my taste level.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Edward Gorey prints and books
    I collect Edward Gorey ephemera too (Going to the Edward Gorey House one of these days - it's on my list!) Black bear carvings & paraphernalia. Vintage national parks & Sierra Club posters & postcards. Kent State articles. My collection for everyday use is cotton throws - I have all different scenes/subjects & some in every room of my home.

vCash
    Books. They are everywhere in my house.
    Thimbles. I do a couple types of needlework, and this is a nice little collectible that takes up minimal space.
    Teacups & saucers. I like tea, and these make a nice travel souvenir that is still useful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    Teacups & saucers. I like tea, and these make a nice travel souvenir that is still useful.
    I have a friend who collects cups and saucers. She's very particular though, they have to be very unusual or have belonged to someone she knew.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast