Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Books, teddy bears (and other stuffed animals), just about anything with skates on it, and weird office supplies.

My father collected coins and stamps. My mother collected fabric, knitting yarns and needles and patterns. I come from a family of pack rats.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    I collect weird, funny Salt and Pepper shakers. For example, I have a Homer and Marge Simpson set. But I also have a lot that are related to cities I visit. Like I have a Liberty Bell/Independence Hall set and a Space Needle set. Also I have ones like a chimney with each of Santa's Legs upside down in the chimney. Essentially anything that is cheap, funny, and weird is what I like.

At this point I have relatives and friends always looking out for new ones for me.
    If you know anyone coming to Atlanta, send them over to Kudzu - I think they have a couple of sites around town now, but I visited the one in Decatur a few weeks ago and they have an entire wall dedicated solely to salt and pepper shakers of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Broken hearts.

vCash
    I collect yardsticks. I live on Long Island (NY, USA) and especially like advertising yardsticks and rulers from local businesses, or from anywhere when they have interesting text on them. I have a nice display of about 30 of them stacked and supported against my dining room wall with, you guessed it, more yardsticks. It looks pretty cool and I've never seen anything like it.

Got started with this in a funny way. I was going to buy a decorative metal plaque to hang above a doorway and wondered if its width was going going to look okay. I used some adhesive gum to stick a yardstick to the space to assess the width and suddenly I looked at the yardstick as I never had looked at one before. They became objects of interest as of that moment.

Also used to collect fruit crate labels, still attached to the wooden crate ends. They are great pieces of Americana, with colorful images of children, transportation, women, men, birds, flowers, landscapes. I got these a lot when I lived in Manhattan in the early 1980s and fruit was still coming from Washington and California to New York. I'd scavenge the crates from the garbage piles in front of the Korean green grocers who arrived in NYC around the same time I did. I have a friend who goes to auctions, flea markets, and yard sales and she gets antique ones for me now sometimes. Have a couple hundred of these, hung from each other by hook and eye in my den.

vCash
    I collect bells from the 50 states (not city bells though) of the USA. I am only half way there because I have not been to some of the states and I visited some of them years before I started collecting.

I collect T-shirts and magnets from different National Parks

Internationally I have only managed to collect post cards.

I do buy (collect) a lot of books but I have also donated many to libraries over the years.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    and weird office supplies.
    I would like to know more about this - can you give any examples?

Also, Aimless I love your yardstick collection and the way you've described displaying them!

vCash
    I collect music boxes & books.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Jenny;3909371]I would like to know more about this - can you give any examples?QUOTE]

Well, I have a set of old drafting pencil sharpeners, paper punnches and odd binders from an office I used to workd in. The sharpeners only work with a specific style of mechanical pencil (I have those, too), the binders are odd sizes with anywhere from 2 to 7 prongs inside and the paper punches make the necessary number of holes so I can use the binders. I have a wide array of rulers: metal, plastic, wood, in vatrious lengths and configurations; nd an endless collection of clips, clamps, tacks and containers for them. Office supply stores are nirvanna for me, second only to bookstores.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    That is interesting, because it's kinda weird (and I mean that as a compliment!).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    That is interesting, because it's kinda weird (and I mean that as a compliment!).
    I know. I've been called worse....

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash

What do you collect?

I collect money but I'm horrible at it.

When I was a child I collected things from The Wizard of Oz. To this day I want to buy things when I see neat collectibles but I've realized I'm wasting time and money. Can you believe I am gay? Lol
    Last edited by BigB08822; 04-24-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    As a teen I collected Cabbage Patch Kids, now I collect the porcelain cabbage patch figurines. I also collect original Beatles memorabilia

vCash
    Cats.

I used to really enjoy rummaging through music stores looking for obscure albums and CDs, but the internet has all but killed that.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I used to really enjoy rummaging through music stores looking for obscure albums and CDs, but the internet has all but killed that.
    Really? Because there are still a lot of great music stores out there - I've spent many an hour in dodgy neighbourhoods when we travel as my husband hunts down music, and for that matter, he often spends a few happy hours cruising sites like CD Universe and CD Japan for rare finds. I'm on a first name basis with the local UPS and FedEx delivery guys

(PS Husband's collection? You guessed it - records and CDs in the thousands!)

vCash
    According to my sister-in-law, (who makes random stuff up about people, decides it is true and can then never be dissuaded) I collect porcelain figurines of champion figure skaters. I have never seen such a thing. Anyone here seen such a thing? When my husband pointed out to her that there is no such thing anywhere in our house, she asked him where I store them. She also thinks he collects bacon related merchandise and keeps buying it for him. It is all stashed in his closet.

I do collect baseball related things. And husband collects beer cans and old signs and merchandise related to that and toy tractors.

vCash
    Cats.

My husband and I still have all our old classic/prog rock on vinyl. My son who is turning 22 soon, has transferred a good portion of them into a digital format. He occasionally still comes out with me on yard sale or thrift store expeditions, and the first thing he looks for is old albums.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Really? Because there are still a lot of great music stores out there - I've spent many an hour in dodgy neighbourhoods when we travel as my husband hunts down music, and for that matter, he often spends a few happy hours cruising sites like CD Universe and CD Japan for rare finds. I'm on a first name basis with the local UPS and FedEx delivery guys

(PS Husband's collection? You guessed it - records and CDs in the thousands!)
    I've found some stuff on eBay, but it isn't the same. I like to wander through the aisles and touch stuff.

Omaha has one music store left. *sniff*

vCash
    Small boxes. I often buy them as souvenirs of my travels. I have them in wood, pewter, alabaster, ceramic, glass etc. Most fit in the palm of my hand but some are a bit bigger. A couple are music boxes.

vCash
    Books and tea/coffee mugs.

vCash
    I buy a keychain at every city that I visit. It's small enough that it does not take up space at my home, but it still a good reminder of the places I've visited.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I've found some stuff on eBay, but it isn't the same. I like to wander through the aisles and touch stuff.

Omaha has one music store left. *sniff*
    You travel a lot though - there are many cities that have huge new and used music stores, and many smaller, excellent shops. Off the top I can tell you that LA is excellent starting with Amoeba (it's the size of a Walmart), Atlanta as well, haven't shopped in Chicago in many years but I expect there are many options, NY isn't bad especially if you are willing to go out of your way, Toronto has a few good spots, SF has several Amoeba locations and likely many more smaller shops, even Washington if you have a car and want to head to the suburbs, and I recall a decent shop or two in Des Moines as well.

Next time you are travelling and have a few hours to spare, send me a PM and I'll see if my husband can recommend anything. You can also keep an eye out for record shows in your city and places you travel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast