vCash

Earth Day 4/22/2013 - Any Gardeners in the house

Calling all gardeners, today is Earth Day.

Do you garden veggies, flowers or both.

I will be gardening veggies and a few companion flowers this year. I am a beginner gardener but my ambitions are great

I will planting tomatoes(21 varieties), peppers(7 sweet varieties), cabbage(3 varieties), broccoli(2 varities), cauliflower(3 varieties), beans(7 varieties), peas(1), okra(1), carrots(3 varieties), beets(2 varieties) and greens(8 varieties).

What are you planting/growing this season?
    Last edited by topaz; 04-23-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    You must have a large garden! I will be planting 2 cherry tomato plants (both red), plum tomatoes, big boy tomatoes, skinny eggplant, large eggplant, collard greens, swiss chard, and kale. I have a small herb garden too, with basil, thyme, chives, cilantro, parsley, lavender, and oregano.

I tried cucumber, peppers, okra, beans, and beets last year, but they weren't as good as the ones I can buy. I'm a novice too.

vCash
    I hope to pull out old dead crap this year! Hopefully I will have some more "volunteers" in my yard that have snuck over from neighbors yards. topaz....that sounds like way more than just a "beginner"

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    My husband's the gardener. We're already eating the broccoli. The giant white radishes (daikon) are done but they do last a long time in the fridge so I have enough for another month. Yellow squash should be ready anytime now and the onions are still coming in.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Well, there's still feet of snow on the ground and it's snowing currently, so it will be a couple months before I can plant anything here

But I always plant, at the very least, tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers, as they get the most use in my house by far. We have a small garden space so I am limited but if I do the peppers in hanging baskets maybe I can do a cabbage or two as well.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I'm restraining myself this year--I hate tomatoes except very tart cherry tomatoes or tomatoes cooked in sauce (and it's just easier to buy canned tomatoes to make THAT) so I am NOT PLANTING TOMATOES except two plants of a variety of teeny tiny cherrys. They're never ready for the county fair, they get blossom-end rot, and I end up leaving a lot on the vines to rot and fall off because I don't eat them.

This year, I'm attempting a variety of miniature eggplant meant to be container-grown. Though so far neither it nor the Yummy Mix miniature bell peppers have sprouted in the Aerogarden (I use it to start seed sets.) Those are also meant for containers and are supposed to be mixed-color mini bell peppers. My run at doing better with squash this year (second place two years in a row in winter squash, though last year was a TERRIBLE year for growing-someone else turning in on ag/horticulture day had lost an entire field of pumpkins to the bad weather and then drought) I'm switching to Sugar pie pumpkins, and I'm trying an heirloom variety of watermelon for my first attempt at those--they're called Tom Watsons and are supposed to be a ninety-day crop. And small--I like fresh watermelon but the "personal" sizes are expensive and a whole one takes up a lot of room! Once the ground warms up, I have two varieties of carrots (an heirloom, and a hybrid called Sweetness III meant to minimize the woody core), heirloom iceberg lettuce, and I'm starting an heirloom cuke called "Brown Russian" that has a brown skin.

And this year, I ordered some long-term root stock. I have two gooseberry bushes (that may or may not make it), a variety of chokeberry called Nero Aronica, three starts of Caroline early-bearing raspberry, and a rose called Full Sail-a white hybrid tea with an aroma like honeysuckle. We will see how everything does (it'l be at least a year on the gooseberries and raspberries and more like two for the chokeberry.)

vCash
    This year I have a little greenhouse to get a head start. Winters here tend to linger. It's my first greenhouse, so I started small. I have tomatoes, pumpkins, cucumbers, beans, peas, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, and a few flowers. Mostly zinnias. I have a terrible time with flowers growing, so I thought I would try to get them started first. Even sunflowers, which I realize are about the easiest in the world to grow. I've tried every year, but the birds eat them. This year, I am determined to have sunflowers!
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    I'm doing two 48 x 48 in. raised beds in my mom's yard. Also, I'll be doing square foot gardening. It allows for more plants per sq feet with higher yield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_foot_gardening

Also, I will be doing some plants in containers which is a cool way to grow veggies when you don't have alot of space or you if you live in apt,flat or condo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Well, there's still feet of snow on the ground and it's snowing currently, so it will be a couple months before I can plant anything here

But I always plant, at the very least, tomatoes, bell peppers, and hot peppers, as they get the most use in my house by far. We have a small garden space so I am limited but if I do the peppers in hanging baskets maybe I can do a cabbage or two as well.
    Have you tried container gardening? They have some great regular and some self watering containers that allow expand your gardening space vertically quite well.

vCash
    I currently live in a dorm room, so I don't have a garden as such, but that won't stop me from growing things! I have one spiky succulent thing I got from IKEA, I don't know what it's called but I've named it Ser Gregor. Then I've got a shoe box full of snapdragon and hollyhock seedlings, and six toilet paper tubes full of red and yellow cherry tomato seedlings. I'm hoping that all these seedlings will survive until I move away from here, and that I can actually bring them with me. Otherwise I guess I'll just plant them somewhere on the school grounds.

My piece de resistance, however, is an ivy growing in a sealed demijohn bottle. It has its own little ecosystem in there, and so far it seems to be thriving.

garden freak
    vCash
    We just got 3" of show last nite. On the bright side, the frost is starting to go out of the ground. I received the potatoes I ordered but I think it will be a while before I can plant them I heard that the ground temperature is 32F.

I started tomatoes, peppers, begonias, salvias and a few other things from seed. They've been transplanted into 3-1/2" pots and are growing nicely. I have 225 plants under my lights that will probably be ready before the ground is.

I grow only the stuff I really like to eat - tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, bush winter squash, pole beans, carrots, cabbage and broccoli. I am not certified organic, but I like growing my own vegies because I know they are safe. I can tomatoes and freeze a lot of the other stuff for winter use.

I also have blueberries and raspberries. Last year we had an extremely warm April followed by a very cold May so my blueberries did not produce much of a crop. This year they still have snow on them so maybe things will go back to normal.

I also have a rose garden featuring easy care small shrub roses plus many perennial gardens.

As you can see, I may be in over my head. I always seem to keep up. I love growing things and I have to admit it is nice to have a hobby where you can rest from November until March!