View Poll Results: Which of these 10 costumes was the worst?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin (2010 European Championships)

81 66.39%
  • Stéphane Lambiel (2006 Torino Olympics)

5 4.10%
  • Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (2010 European Championships)

1 0.82%
  • Oksana Baiul (1994 Olympics)

7 5.74%
  • Marina Aganina and Artem Knyazev (2006 Olympics)

0 0%
  • Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat (2006 Olympics)

0 0%
  • Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov (2006 Torino Olympics)

9 7.38%
  • Ilia Kulik (1998 Olympics)

14 11.48%
  • Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio (2006 Torino Olympics)

2 1.64%
  • Johnny Weir (2006 Olympics)

3 2.46%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    No Canadian skaters on the list That's a good sign
    Well B & K were lucky to escape this list after Tarasova got her hands on them. .

But when it comes to this list it has to be DomShabs. That was their gold medal in 2010

vCash
    Definitely Dom/Shabs, ugly and somewhat offensive considering the program. Also agree with the poster who mentioned Tonya's 1994 Nationals dress with the massive flesh-toned insert. If she had been anymore well-endowed, that program would have needed an "R" rating because she definitely would have nipslipped into the center of the dress.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Do Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin costumes count as costumes anyway? Its just illusion mesh. Using too much illusion mesh should be illegal.

vCash
    I am voting for a costume with a gold medal. So I voted for Kulik and not D/S because they were bronze they didn't even win and the kulik shirt was so bad and everyone was saying it was ridiculous and it was part of an actual success at an Olympics and not a failure like D/S.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleys6th View Post
    DomShabs costumes were not ditched for the Olympics as you can see from this link (at the 1 min mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLYCtBkB1c
    The bad thing about Stephane Lambiel was he wore that costume for years!
    They were very similar but there was less stuff. They were altered. They were not exactly the same. They did not go so far as to change the entire program and submit to people who wanted to destroy their chances of doing respectably and not even make the top 10!

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I am voting for a costume with a gold medal. So I voted for Kulik and not D/S because they were bronze they didn't even win and the kulik shirt was so bad and everyone was saying it was ridiculous and it was part of an actual success at an Olympics and not a failure like D/S.
    In that case the win goes to Baiul. Kulik's costume is bad, but Baiul's is truly heinous.

vCash
    They were very similar but there was less stuff. They were altered. They were not exactly the same. They did not go so far as to change the entire program and submit to people who wanted to destroy their chances of doing respectably and not even make the top 10!
    Well, they probably would have medaled no matter what OD they did.

vCash
    What about Lobacheva's original dance costume in 1998? That one showed very poor taste. I feel like I could be her gynecologist.

Lobacheva & Averbukh 1998 Olympics OD

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    No Chait/Sakhnovsky's clowns on crack costumes? What short memories we have!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I forgot to include a link for Z/G earlier.

http://www.goldenskate.com/wp-conten...2011/08/zg.jpg

vCash
    am i crazy?

i thought johnny's swan costume was nice. yes it was extremely flamboyant and over the top but it was done in the right way (imo)..after all, it's figure skating!

i prefer skating costumes to be simple and elegant (michelle's vera wang costumes were the best imo) but if you're going to go crazy then what johnny did with the swan is the way to do it imo. it was kind of the male counterpart to one of sasha cohen's beautiful swan lake dresses from 2004 (also with feather details)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    That costume is SO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    If by worst, you mean "most awesomely and voidily 80s", then I agree with you.

vCash
    I agree. That costume was freakin' awesome.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    As usual with these "worst costumes" list, I like most of the ones listed. I *adored* Lambiel's flying zebra costume.
    For some unknown reason, I loved Stephane's outfit as well. Don't know why-I just did!

Running from Morozov...I'm blonde, after all! IL
    vCash
    1 & 5

I really liked Stephane's costume, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well, they probably would have medaled no matter what OD they did.
    If this was true why deal with the real negative publicity? It had the coach saying different things to different people in interviews! Made them wear the blankets in the CD? Just to give them attention for their post Olympics appearances?? LOL! "everyones talking about it in a negative way and VM and DW have acclaimed dances but well keep this crap one!" I just don't get it. Any other OD would have been compared to real dances that he probably couldn't do and may have made big mistakes on.

vCash
    If this was true why deal with the real negative publicity? It had the coach saying different things to different people in interviews! Made them wear the blankets in the CD? Just to give them attention for their post Olympics appearances?? LOL! "everyones talking about it in a negative way and VM and DW have acclaimed dances but well keep this crap one!" I just don't get it. Any other OD would have been compared to real dances that he probably couldn't do and may have made big mistakes on.
    My point was that they did perform substandard dances with messy execution (outside that great Tango Romantica), but were scored in a way that guaranteed them a medal whereas a strong case can be made that a team with less reputation from a lesser federation would have scored much lower with the product and execution the DomShabs gave. This is not quite a criticism as that's a part of figure skating, and even the best or most popular skaters have won based on reputation and strong favor with substandard performances when a lesser known skater would not get such a benefit.

As to your off-topic point of making him do a real dance that he probably couldn't do and may have made big mistakes on...tough. It's a competition and I still think Linichuk's saying it's not supposed to represent any real folk dance or culture was an admission of not following the rules of the OD or it was simple backtracking after the real negativity it received from Aboriginal groups to the point where even the composer of the one of the pieces wanted nothing to do with their dance.

As to the point that's relevant to this thread, I think people really did have an issue with the cultural misrepresentation of that OD.

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1225822375720

Sol Bellear, of the New South Wales state Aboriginal Land Council, said: "It's very offensive.
    "We see it as stealing Aboriginal culture, and it is yet another example of the Aboriginal people of Australia being exploited."It's been absolutely stolen without our permission and without consultation of the relevant dance groups within Aboriginal Australia."

https://themoscowdiaries.wordpress.c...a-obama-out-to get-racist-russian-figure-skaters/
    Sheila Chandra, the singer of the song the Russian skaters were using in their routine (the song, let’s recall, was not even Aboriginal), had to send a letter to the Olympic Committee and the Figure Skating Federation of Russia, demanding that the fragment of her song be removed from the routine’s soundtrack.

Of course, I do think the other teams and federations took full advantage of the controversy for their full benefit. That's how figure skating politicks work. It's dirty and distasteful. However, that doesn't change the fact that there was a controversy over cultural misrepresentation and insensitivity in the first place. It's not simply black and white. One thing doesn't necessarily negate the other, but could be seen as a consequence of the first action.

It probably all stems from Linichuk's lack of creativity and DomShab's dance is sort of in-line with old-school stereotypical portrayals of other cultures by dancers that were accepted in the past. Look at Krylova/Ovsiannikov's African Drums dance. Linichuk was probably shocked that she's getting criticized for something that had been accepted in a less culturally-cognizant past.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 05-03-2013 at 05:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast