View Poll Results: Which of these 10 costumes was the worst?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin (2010 European Championships)

81 66.39%
  • Stéphane Lambiel (2006 Torino Olympics)

5 4.10%
  • Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (2010 European Championships)

1 0.82%
  • Oksana Baiul (1994 Olympics)

7 5.74%
  • Marina Aganina and Artem Knyazev (2006 Olympics)

0 0%
  • Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat (2006 Olympics)

0 0%
  • Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov (2006 Torino Olympics)

9 7.38%
  • Ilia Kulik (1998 Olympics)

14 11.48%
  • Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio (2006 Torino Olympics)

2 1.64%
  • Johnny Weir (2006 Olympics)

3 2.46%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Which of these 10 costumes was the worst?

Came across this list from Time Magazine which lists their choice of the 10 worst figure skating costumes during the 20 years leading up to the 2010 Olympics. This is the list together with Time's reasons for nominating each costume:-

1. Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin (2010 European Championships) Time's Comments: "Ice dancers Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin — the favorites to win gold in Vancouver — showed up at [the 2010] European Championships with a program supposedly inspired by aboriginal cultures. To the shock of many in the Australian Aboriginal community, however, the Russian pair donned bright red loincloths, brown bodysuits and a scattering of fake eucalyptus leaves. Australian Aboriginals dismissed the outfits as offensive and lacking authenticity. But Shabalin said the pair had drawn inspiration from all of the world's aboriginal cultures, not Australia's in particular. With medals on the line, however, they're not dancing around the controversy any longer: the pair ditched the costumes on the eve of the Olympics."

2. Stéphane Lambiel (2006 Torino Olympics) Time's Comments: "Switzerland's Stéphane Lambiel shed tears of joy when he received the silver medal in Torino. Then again, maybe he simply realized how outlandish his costume was. Skating to Vivaldi's Four Seasons, he braved the ice wearing an orange-and-white zebra-striped top with glittery blue gloves. He later told reporters that the program and the outfit told the story of "a zebra looking at snow for the first time in his life.""

3. Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy (2010 European Championships) Time's Comments: "The two-time world champions Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy are bringing their game faces to Vancouver — and they're covered in white makeup. At the recent European Championships in Tallinn, Estonia, the German pair skated to a piano rendition of "Send in the Clowns" with elegance, grace and a sweet sense of humor. Szolkowy told figure-skating fans there was just one problem: "I want to scratch my nose and not worry about the makeup.""

4. Oksana Baiul (1994 Olympics) Time's Comments: "At the '94 Games, all eyes were on the dueling Americans, Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. But then Oksana Baiul, the Ukrainian orphan turned world champion, took to the ice dressed as a showgirl pretending to be a flamingo. Baiul's sartorial shortcoming is probably due to the timing of the Olympics: beads, fur trim and fringe were popular among Eastern European skaters in the '90s."

5. Marina Aganina and Artem Knyazev (2006 Olympics) Time's Comments: "Uzbekistan isn't exactly known for figure skating. After Marina Aganina and Artem Knyazev's costumes in Torino, the country probably won't ever be known for fashion either. The pair appeared to have skated through a cotton-candy factory ahead of their long program. How the psychedelic coloring enhanced their performance to Tchaikovsky's "Danse Napolitaine" from Swan Lake remains a mystery."

6. Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat (2006 Olympics) Time's Comments: "When France's Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat skated onto the ice in Torino, they looked like they had just survived a particularly violent practice session: their costumes consisted of ripped chiffon decorated with faux blood and ash. Fortunately, they were merely victims of fashion; their costumes were meant to help them interpret the music from Les Misérables."

7. Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov (2006 Torino Olympics) Time's Comments: "The Ukrainian ice dancers Elena Grushina and Ruslan Goncharov chose to skate to Peter Gabriel's "The Feeling Begins" from The Last Temptation of Christ at the 2006 Torino Games. There was nothing holy about Grushina's dress, though. It was backless — and nearly frontless too. Thank goodness for the strategically placed tassels."

8. Ilia Kulik (1998 Olympics) Time's Comments: "Skating to "Rhapsody in Blue," Russia's Ilia Kulik looked like a disaster in yellow at the 1998 Nagano Games. In online forums, figure-skating fans compared his shiny yellow outfit (with shoulder pads) to a rotten banana and a jaundiced cow. He went on to win gold despite the fashion faux pas."

9. Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio (2006 Torino Olympics) Time's Comments: "In Torino, Italian figure skaters Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio set their dramatic routine to the soundtrack of the animated film The Prince of Egypt. Apparently no one told them Egypt is too warm for velvet bodysuits, or that when it comes to satin sashes, less is definitely more."

10. Johnny Weir (2006 Olympics) Time's Comments: "American figure skater Johnny Weir once compared one of his spandex-and-sequins costumes to a "Care Bear on acid," and another to an "icicle on coke." In 2006, he opted for something a bit classier. He skated to "The Swan" by Camille Saint-Saëns, and his costume featured a pattern of feathers across the chest, crisscrossed strapping over one arm and a single red glove meant to symbolize the bird's beak. The experience, he told Sports Illustrated, has made him comfortable in any attire. "I could go out there as a giant banana and I would feel completely comfortable.""

So, which of these 10 costumes was the worst? Also, what would you say was the worst costume of all time (whether its on or outside of this list)? Please provide a YouTube link to it if it's outside of the list.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 04-23-2013 at 03:09 AM.

YEAH!
    vCash
    There is no need to read past #1. DomShabs. No comparison!

I like a lot of these, esp S&S' Clowns, Weir's Swan, and FP&M's Prince of Egypt (her OD dress was beyond hideous though). Grushina's dress was hot.

vCash
    DomShabs costumes were not ditched for the Olympics as you can see from this link (at the 1 min mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLYCtBkB1c
    The bad thing about Stephane Lambiel was he wore that costume for years!

vCash
    ...So many skating costumes have existed and Johnny's swan suit makes this list? ...Ok then

vCash
    I had a hard time picking between Dom/Shabs, and the Grushons, but I decided on the DomShabs because they had controversy with theirs while the Grushons were just simple bad taste.

vCash
    Don't even need to read beyond the first choice to vote. Nothing is as bad as DomShabs.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    As usual with these "worst costumes" list, I like most of the ones listed. I *adored* Lambiel's flying zebra costume.

At least there are some striking color and design choices here. And most of the ones on the list were at least flattering to the body.

I guess I would pick Grushgons as worst for somehow being so dull despite trying so hard to be risque. Kulik's pointless unflattering, baggy giraffe shirt would be second.

vCash
    I voted to Domnina-Shabalin's costume. But I like Johnny's and Savchenko-Solkowy's costumes.
    Last edited by lala; 04-23-2013 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    s/s in this list?
    what was wrong about that costume?

vCash
    DomShabs. It's not even close.

Some of the costumes don't really belong on this list (e.g. Johnny's Swan, S/S's clowns - complaints about makeup are a different matter). There have been ice dance events in which the costumes were worse than almost everything listed here.

vCash
    Between DomninaShabalin and AganinaKnyatsev
    My vote goes to DomninaShabalin.

But really, Savchenko&Szolkowy have done worse than the one you give as an example

vCash
    No Canadian skaters on the list That's a good sign
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I was all ready to vote for Baiul's electric pink poodle until I remembered boob tassels.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Sorry, only one manages to combine a disastrous costume with racial stereotypes--Dom/Shabs ftw! Yes, Grushina's boob tassels were tasteless, Kulik looked like (my favorite analogy) "a bumblebee hit by a school bus", Baiul's was very third-grade ballerina, I still have no idea what Lambiel was thinking but whenever I think of him I think of zebra print, and Johnny is just being Johnny Weird and that's his schtick....but nope, sorry, when all you need is a bone through someone's nose to make it "Little Black Sambo: The Free Dance", congratulations, you have the worst costumes of all time.

vCash
    No Joubert on the list??????????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleys6th View Post
    The bad thing about Stephane Lambiel was he wore that costume for years!
    Well, he wore it each time he skated this program. Sounds like a logical thing to do. He indeed skated that program quite a lot, a lot in shows and a few times to live music even. Maybe because it was a really good program?

When I wrote my articles about skating costumes we had a chat with Stéphane about it too. I loved what he said about "Zebra":
    I was not taking notice of what people were saying, the opinion of those close to me was more important. And what I really loved about their reaction is the development from the first impression to what they thought about it later, when they agreed: 'It was right'. I pushed them so hard that at one point they started to like it. That made me happy because it was not an easy step to take, to put all those crazy ideas into one costume. And at the beginning people around me were saying: 'No, it doesn't work'...
    It was that period in your life when you're twenty, you are in search of who you are, you try to become someone... And you say: 'You know what? Maybe it is not what everybody says it has to be, but it's who I am, these are my convictions and I want it to be like that'. And you are so convinced that even something that was not meant to work works, because you're sure of it.
    It is really important, especially when you're young, to be who you are. Even if you feel at that moment crazy like orange flying zebra.
    Though me personally I'm not a very big fan of this costume, I love the idea behind it. And love his crazy creativity and artistic freedom.

vCash
    Dom/Shabs for sure. One bad set of costumes that is missing is the 2011 FD costumes of Zhiganshina/Gaszi, before they were toned down.

vCash

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    What about Tonya's cleavage dress? Dom Shabs is definitely the worst, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast