Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chen

24 20.87%
  • Sato

13 11.30%
  • Kerrigan

2 1.74%
  • Yamaguchi (would have come back if she saw Ito also did)

3 2.61%
  • Ito (if she still came back)

2 1.74%
  • Harding

1 0.87%
  • Bobek

3 2.61%
  • Bonaly

0 0%
  • Baiul

7 6.09%
  • Kwan

57 49.57%
  • Slutskaya

2 1.74%
  • other (Szewcenko, Butyrskaya, etc...)

1 0.87%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Germany actually only had 1 Worlds spot in 1996 as Tanja Szewczenko withdrew after the SP at 1995 Worlds and Marina Kielmann and Simone Lang didn't place top 10.
    OK. I actually meant to reference Kiehlmann in my initial post as one-to-watch who would've pushed to compete in a 1996 Olympiad. She was a top finisher at both '93 and '94 Worlds, and I assumed she had retired after the 1994 Olympic year. But per your post, she actually was pushing on afterwards and just didn't do too well in '95. She definitely would've tried for another year if the Olympics were held in '96, but probably would've not even made it past Euros if Germany had 1 spot. Ditto former Jutta Mueller pupil Simone Lang.

---------

BTW, where was Laetitia Hubert in this time frame? I think France sent Surya Bonaly and Vanessa Gusmeroli to '96 Worlds (who probably would've been France's choices for Olympic team). But, she obviously was still competing as she was in Nagano '98 and even SLC '02.

vCash
    After her breakthrough in 92 Hubert fell behind LeRay in France for a few years, only passing her back at the 95 Worlds, and thereafter LeRay was pretty much never heard from again (popping up at one last Worlds in 98 where she placed down in the field, and I think tried some pairs again). She didnt even make it to the 93 Worlds as they only had 2 women and with Bonaly and LeRay both above her there was no spot for her, but with Bonaly medalling she got to compete at the 94 Olympics and Worlds as the #3 French lady.

I am pretty sure she was injured and didnt compete the 95-96 season (actually come to think of it she might have temporarily retired as she was planning at the time to retire after the 95 season but came back), and the French sent a women who didnt even make the top 30 to Worlds along with Bonaly and young Gusermoli. She then returned in the 97 season as French #2 behind Gusermoli, but over an injured and poor Bonaly; and then was sort of the French #1 in the 97-98 season over a slumping Gusermoli and past her best Bonaly, albeit with her typical Jekyl and Hyde results.

After the Nagano Olympic season and her resurgence, she fell of so badly she want even sent to the 99 Worlds, even though they had 2 ladies, they still felt Gusmeroli was the only one worth sending. The French ladies depth fell off so badly I think she and Gusermoli were the only two competitors even at the 2000 Nationals (where Gusmeroli with only 1 triple won the title over Hubert). She pretty much dissapeared for good from relevance at that point, even though she continued to compete at Worlds and Olympics, she was no longer capable of a respectable showing.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 04-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123