Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Eh. Most of the choreography will probably just get Zueva-ed away anyway.

vCash
    Zueva-ed away, eh? Hmmm .... If you mean Zueva has a deleterious effect on M&C's choreo, I doubt that. I don't see any evidence of that having happened this season or last. In any case, M&C apparently have major input in the creative development of their programs.

vCash
    Abbott has had Benjie Schwimmer do a couple of his short programs. This year's "Spy" for instance & he'd never choreographed for any skaters before to my knowledge. Derek is an excellent choreographer & he was trained in ballroom dance by ...Corky Balas! He has the credentials for sure.

vCash
    I hope we'll see Derek in Boston at Nationals in the KnC with Meryl and Charlie!

Does anyone know if Christine "Tuffy" Hough is related to Derek and Julianne?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ^^ Yeah, but I think the best dancers and choreographers understand the movement dynamics, musicality and performance aspects of skating, without having to necessarily understand all the terminology and technical stuff. I believe choreographing for dance and choreographing for dance on the ice is not so different in essence. Dancers surely understand the dynamics of balance and the necessity for softness in the knees. Ice dance in particular seems to have a lot in common with ballroom dance. I think choreographers from the dance world have a great deal to offer skaters and the skating world.

In any case, twizzles are actually nothing more than amped-up pirouettes that move and groove. I'm betting Derek Hough not only can dig them, he probably can do them too!
    If I had a dollar for every time a dance teacher has made a bad (ie technically inaccurate) analogy about skating with all the best intentions, I could pay for a lot of lessons.

From the waist down there is really not a lot that's in any way similar and the feet have absolutely nothing in common at all. Above the waist, holds feel very different, and it's not really lead and follow with frame and weight the way dance is. I would assume that Derek would be getting a LOT of technical assistance with the skating end (ie being told what is and isn't possible) and would be less dictating things like steps in a sequence than (if he's doing the SD) working on things like style, highlights, feeling the character of the dance, and coming up with things like lifts. He also will get to play with something that he can't in dance--the ability to move without moving--you can't glide on the dance floor like you can glide on ice! A spiral is a lot more impressive than an arabesque. Given he's rather out there with his DWTS choreo, he can probably come up with some really new positions and transitions between them that won't work on the dance floor. And FASTER. Skating is so much faster and on the edge (forgive the pun) than dancing. It won't look like a cookie-cutter ice dance program, that's for sure! He's probably excited to play with choreo that's not limited by a wood floor....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    Abbott has had Benjie Schwimmer do a couple of his short programs. This year's "Spy" for instance & he'd never choreographed for any skaters before to my knowledge. Derek is an excellent choreographer & he was trained in ballroom dance by ...Corky Balas! He has the credentials for sure.
    If any choreographer should complain about a skater modifying anything it's Schwimmer. That...thing that Jeremy did at WTT was not what he had been given and quite honestly the after thought was not good...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    . Derek is an excellent choreographer & he was trained in ballroom dance by ...Corky Balas! He has the credentials for sure.
    Weren't the Shibutanis working with Corky Ballas this year? I don't think for full choreography, just on some dance training.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    That's probably the worst program Jeremy has done in like 5 seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Weren't the Shibutanis working with Corky Ballas this year? I don't think for full choreography, just on some dance training.
    Yes, they talked a little bit about their recent trip to Houston to work with Ballas in Sarah and Drew's latest Inside Edge blog (scroll down to the "Maia and Alex and Yo-Yo" section): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

On a related note, Virtue/Moir recently spent some time in Montreal with Jean-Marc Généreux, a French Canadian ballroom dance champion and choreographer - he tweeted this photo with them on April 9: http://pic.twitter.com/8ooQZSoPUH

Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Does anyone know if Christine "Tuffy" Hough is related to Derek and Julianne?
    Don't think so - Christine Hough is Canadian and the Hough dance siblings come from a Mormon family in Utah.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-25-2013 at 02:47 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Genereux has choreographed for "So You Think You Can Dance" and was the head judge of "So You Think You Can Dance Canada."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm so excited to see what is created for these teams for the Olympic season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Must be a new exhibition piece, no? Would be odd to hire a first-time skating choreographer for an Olympic program when the fight for the podium is so tight. Or maybe he is just consulting on it?
    I was thinking the same. It'd have to be pretty spectacular for a competitive Olympic program. An exhibition program seems more likely but we'll know for sure by the start of the GP season I guess.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    So since Meryl and Charlie were in the audience, I decided to watch DWTS. I recorded it so I'm just watching it now. Saw Charlie a lot, barely saw Meryl but the show was fun.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12