Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Derek Hough (DWTS) to choreograph Davis/White Olympic program

This week, I also started working on a very special routine that's not for the show. I'm choreographing a number for our world champion ice dancers Meryl Davis and Charlie White to perform at the Olympics next year. They graciously asked me to do it and how could I say no? It's truly an honor and they're amazing. They won silver in Vancouver, are five-time U.S. champions and two-time world champions. If you're not familiar with them, I highly recommend you check out some of their routines. They actually taught me a new move that I might have to do on the show. It's a trick and Kellie would be able to do it. Maybe you'll see it in a few weeks!

Derek
    http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dancing-...h-1064199.aspx

So glad to see them stepping out into the world of dance. Last year was just a consult. This looks like the real thing.

vCash
    Wow....that is so interesting. Good for D&W. Can't wait to see what they come up with.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Must be a new exhibition piece, no? Would be odd to hire a first-time skating choreographer for an Olympic program when the fight for the podium is so tight. Or maybe he is just consulting on it?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    @derekhough tweeted this photo 3 days ago: http://instagram.com/p/YT4c5CNonW/ (ETA: link originally posted by Michelle24 in the D/W fan thread)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-22-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I think it is fabulous.. Derek is a fabulous choreographer. Looking forward to seeing the result.

vCash
    I remember that after the Vancouver Olympics (and DWTS) Mark Balas choreographed an exhibition/show program for Evan Lysacek.

vCash
    If he's choreographing competitive programs for D&W that seems a bit risky considering it's the Olympic season. Not sure if using a first-time skating choreographer for the Olympics is a wise move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If he's choreographing competitive programs for D&W that seems a bit risky considering it's the Olympic season. Not sure if using a first-time skating choreographer for the Olympics is a wise move.
    yes but all he really has to do is add in pieces around the highlight moves they use each program
    (cheeky bugger i am today)
    kidding aside- that is brave- could be a HUGE advantage or a HUGE mistake...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Must be a new exhibition piece, no? Would be odd to hire a first-time skating choreographer for an Olympic program when the fight for the podium is so tight. Or maybe he is just consulting on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    D&W used a non-skating choreographer for their Olympic Bollywood OD and had great success , so using a first-time choreographer may not be that risky as long as they put out an outstanding final product

vCash
    Derek is an outstanding choreographer, and I think his style completely
    suits Meryl and Charlie. Time will tell, of course. But I think it's a great match.

vCash
    Twitter:

Sarah and Drew ‏@SarahandDrew 10s
    Looks like @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @kristiyamaguchi + @DorothyHamill will all be in the audience at DWTS tonight.
    https://twitter.com/DorothyHamill/st...744768/photo/1
    Meryl Davis ‏@Meryl_Davis 5m
    @charlieawhite and I are excited to root on @derekhough tonight! #dwts http://instagram.com/p/YbP-fkjERc/
    Dorothy Hamill ‏@DorothyHamill 21m
    Fun times at the show with @kristiyamaguchi @charlieawhite @meryl_davis
    (same pic as in 1st tweet)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    Wow, I hope they show them in the audience or better yet introduce them (maybe?)

vCash
    YESYESYES!!!!
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    WOW! Brilliant move from them! Derek knows how to choreography eye-popping, original moves that go very well with the music.

And his ego won't allow him to give them anything short of ground-breaking :p

vCash
    Did I hear somewhere that they were working with Alex Wong as well?

If so, I'd assume Derek is taking on the SD and Alex would help on the FD. I think this would be an AMAZING move for them. I'm in the minority (I think) for loving Derek. I think he's brilliant and can bring so much out of Meryl and Charlie. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    WOW! Brilliant move from them! Derek knows how to choreography eye-popping, original moves that go very well with the music.

And his ego won't allow him to give them anything short of ground-breaking :p
    ITA!!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Derek can bug me on the show, but I think he is a good choreographer and I'm interested to see what he'll do.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Derek and Kellie did a very nice quickstep tonight on the show!

vCash
    Derek is an absolutely fabulous choreographer. Let's hope his work translates easily from the dance floor to the ice. It must be a big challenge when these dance choreographers come in and have no idea what a twizzle is.

vCash
    ^^ Yeah, but I think the best dancers and choreographers understand the movement dynamics, musicality and performance aspects of skating, without having to necessarily understand all the terminology and technical stuff. I believe choreographing for dance and choreographing for dance on the ice is not so different in essence. Dancers surely understand the dynamics of balance and the necessity for softness in the knees. Ice dance in particular seems to have a lot in common with ballroom dance. I think choreographers from the dance world have a great deal to offer skaters and the skating world.

In any case, twizzles are actually nothing more than amped-up pirouettes that move and groove. I'm betting Derek Hough not only can dig them, he probably can do them too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast