Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KCC View Post
    I have a tough time understanding airline ticket costs today, even without getting into pounds. Longer distance flights are very often less expensive than shorter ones. Ticket prices can vary throughout a single day, sometimes up and occasionally down, and there is little chance today that two 150 pound fliers sitting next to each other have paid the same for their tickets. Hub cities are more expensive to fly in/out of than starting 100 miles away and hopping through the same hub cities.

If I felt there was some common logic to the rest of the pricing strategy, I would have less issue with paying by the pound. But right now, it just seems like another way to justify higher ticket prices.

LOL. This is a good point. The current pricing is so variable on when and how you buy your ticket through souped up computer modeling. A 300 lb person buying a ticket in February would probably pay the same as a 90 lb person buying a ticket in March for an April flight. It would be nonsensical to do weight based pricing. I can kind of see doing a surcharge for total package (person plus luggage) in excess of some threshold, but that is about as far as I think the airlines can take it.
    What would Jenny do?

Just me
    vCash
    Variable pricing, ya got to love it. A flight I was looking at held steady at $265 for two months and then in a matter of 12 hours went from that to $195 and then down again to $174 the same day.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    If airlines made the seats larger, they would have to start charging the real value of the seats, not what whiny cheapskates in coach are willing to pay. Jet fuel is not getting any less expensive, while people want to pay low airfares. If you want to see larger seats...fly in business class or in first on short domestic flights and pay those rates (which are a lot closer to being profitable rather than operating at a loss for the airline.) If people insist on dirt cheap airfare, they're going to be packed in like cattle to make up for it. If they demand bigger seats and therefore fewer passengers, they should expect doubled airfares. And more overbooks, because the airlines will have to be sure the flight leaves filled, meaning they have more no-shows to account for.
    I am a cheapskate in coach, and I would rather be jammed in like a sardine next to an obese lady pressing me into the fuselage than pay higher rates. Now if it's an obese man with his avoirdupois resting on my boob, that's another story.

People make too much of an issue about sitting next to large people and babies. As long as they are polite and not stinky, your thigh brushing up against my thigh in a non sexual manner is a minor inconvenience. I generally take three hour or less flights, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    I am a cheapskate in coach, and I would rather be jammed in like a sardine next to an obese lady pressing me into the fuselage than pay higher rates. Now if it's an obese man with his avoirdupois resting on my boob, that's another story.

People make too much of an issue about sitting next to large people and babies. As long as they are polite and not stinky, your thigh brushing up against my thigh in a non sexual manner is a minor inconvenience. I generally take three hour or less flights, though.
    MY issue is not with having large persons next to me. It is more with leg room. And my biggest gripe is with people who cannot control their children. Yes, babies cry. Is it pleasant? No. However, it is the parents who allow their children to ram their seat backs back and forth, creaming my knees that really make me . And when you ask nicely that they stop, you get, I paid for my seats, I can do what I want.

vCash
    Oh, the bratty kids must be stopped. As to leg room, it should be a given to keep all the seats in an upright position. You're on a flight, not in your living room. IMO, most people are gracious, and when my seat mate gingerly tries to keep their arm on the edge of the rest, I inform them that I never use the arm rest and in fact curl up in a little ball. I just need a tiny amount of space. Just more comfortable that way.

However, there should be a discount for people who never check bags and volunteer to sit by babies. As a matter of fact, if there were a cheap, safe option for flying in a standing position on short flights, I would surely take it.

vCash
    Double post

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    However, there should be a discount for people who never check bags and volunteer to sit by babies. As a matter of fact, if there were a cheap, safe option for flying in a standing position on short flights, I would surely take it.
    Ah, to be young again.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Strap hangers, like on subways

vCash
    China tried this a few years back, I don't think it took off (no pun intended )

I'd be willing to do it too. But then again, I'm 24 and lucky to have a good back and knees and experience of standing for about 5-6 hours at a time at sports games.

vCash
    It's a great idea if they can make it work. All I need is to get where I am going in relative comfort, and in one piece. No need for any soda, pretzels, or pillows. You could even do squats once the Captain has taken down the fasten your seat belt sign! Maybe it could be some sort of webbing that you can be attached to like a Spider.

vCash
    I think they should stack us all horizontally. It would be far more comfortable to lie down and sleep.

vCash

vCash
    I am small, so it would work to my advantage, but I would rather not see this happen. It would create too many complications. As it is, air travel in general is getting more and more complicated. Also expect to be sued in the USA for discriminating against overweight people.

vCash

Try taking a 24 hour flight - you'll change your mind and wish for an emergency that would see the plane land safely and you taken off it after 4...

I sat through a hellish flight with a fat, obnoxious man next to me for 24 hours. I WISH his thigh was brushing against my thigh. That would have been bearable. But having half my seat taken up by his overflow, no elbow room and him belching the whole way...when he wasn't talking about plane crashes? NOT my idea of bearable!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Sounds like a bad movie.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Try taking a 24 hour flight - you'll change your mind and wish for an emergency that would see the plane land safely and you taken off it after 4...

I sat through a hellish flight with a fat, obnoxious man next to me for 24 hours. I WISH his thigh was brushing against my thigh. That would have been bearable. But having half my seat taken up by his overflow, no elbow room and him belching the whole way...when he wasn't talking about plane crashes? NOT my idea of bearable!
    OMG, having flashbacks of my trip to NZ. I *swear* it was the same guy or at least his twin. And he had several beers and spilled some on his shirt so there was beer smell as well (I can't stand beer smell).

ETA: And I had just lost 90 lbs and was looking forward to fitting in a seat

vCash
    I sat through a hellish flight with a fat, obnoxious man next to me for 24 hours. I WISH his thigh was brushing against my thigh. That would have been bearable. But having half my seat taken up by his overflow, no elbow room and him belching the whole way...when he wasn't talking about plane crashes? NOT my idea of bearable
    My one and only bad fellow passenger experience involved a very large, sweaty, garlic breath man whose flab was on my boob, and he was not pleasant. I asked to be moved, the stewardess found a seat in first class first class, and he immediately jumped up and declared HE should be moved to first class since he was so fat and needed the room. I could care less about first class and let him have the seat, though it was offered to me first. I was just glad that his man boob, or goiter, or whatever the hell is was, was removed from my person.

Other than that, everyone else I have ever been seated by were polite and clean.

vCash
    I recently had an overnight flight and next to me was an overweight smelly kid who kept putting his head in my lap when he dosed off. I guess his family were busy having fun all day and didn't get a chance to freshen up before the red eye. He looked about 13 or 14. Very nice, polite and pleasant kid. But boy, did he stink!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123