Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post

Does he regret his behavior at the 2001 Skate America press conference. He and Christine Brennan were very harsh toward Michelle Kwan.
    ....well , Kwan invited him to her wedding. I guess they have dealt with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    ....well , Kwan invited him to her wedding. I guess they have dealt with it.
    Doesn't mean he can't regret it still.

vCash
    Where does figure skating currently rank among all the Olympic sports he covers? Which sports are his favorite to write about at the moment and why?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Thanks, looking forward to hearing this. I sent a question on your FB page.

vCash
    kwanette, I've wondered about that as well.
    I'll be interested in his response.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Last chance for questions! I have a ton already, but just in case someone out there has one, please add. Thanks.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    1. What competitions is he planning to attend this upcoming season? Is he going to Sochi as well?
    2. What made him interested in Figure Skating? Which skater?
    3. Does he skate? How good is he?
    4. His favorite skating techniques or his pet peeves?
    5. Has he been to any ice shows recently? If so, what?
    Last edited by ehdtkqorl123; 04-23-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Not a skating related question, but I'd like to know if he thinks the recent events in Boston will effect the face/security plans already in effect for Sochi?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Is there a place in print journalism for educating readers about skating technique -- what is actually being judged?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Is there a place in print journalism for educating readers about skating technique -- what is actually being judged?
    I don't know of many journalist that write with the purpose of educating the readers on the technique of the sport that they are writing about. Most of the time, the journalist report the results of the sporting event and/or offer their opinions as to why the team/athlete achieved the results. In most cases, much praise is given when discussing good/great results; and much criticism is given when the results are not good or not as good as expected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Snarky, sarcastic comments....bitching and complaining....you just described 50% of the content that figure skating fans post on internet message boards, Facebook, and Twitter. I find it ironic that some people are bashing Hersh for writing negative comments about skaters, yet they seem to condone the deragatory, snarky, petty, and mean spirited comments that have unfortunately come to be too prevelant on the internet.

I don't agree with all of Hersh's opinons. However, I am thankful that he gives the sport some coverage. Can he be overly critical at times? Yes; however, I don't see his opinions as being any more negative than a lot of sports commentary that I read and/or hear on sports talk radio.
    ^^THIS.^^

vCash
    Snarky, sarcastic comments....bitching and complaining....you just described 50% of the content that figure skating fans post on internet message boards, Facebook, and Twitter. I find it ironic that some people are bashing Hersh for writing negative comments about skaters, yet they seem to condone the deragatory, snarky, petty, and mean spirited comments that have unfortunately come to be too prevelant on the internet.
    Message boards and other social media outlets are one thing; hearing it from a Yale graduate who writes for the Chicago Trib is quite another. He should be far more professional than most people who casually surf the internet.

vCash
    Exactly how were Phil and the other guests "sworn to secrecy" regarding Michelle's wedding date? Was that admonition printed on the wedding invitations?

vCash
    I am interested in his views on what can be done about the lack of TV and other media coverage for many sports, including figure skating. Little gymnastics, diving, speed skating, cross country sking etc. In the past we had " The Wide World of Sports" which gave coverage to many different sports. Now we seem have limited exposure to lots of sports and kids and parents are less aware they or their children have other options. Socially accepted sports seem to have been limited by media coverage, which is also based on add revenues. We have Mcfootball, Mcbasketball, Mcgolf etc.
    Marci

vCash
    Should the ISU, some federations and the alleged dubious practices of judges (score manipulation, etc) be investigated by an independent body?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Message boards and other social media outlets are one thing; hearing it from a Yale graduate who writes for the Chicago Trib is quite another. He should be far more professional than most people who casually surf the internet.
    ^This. There are stupid trolls all over the internet, but they aren't held to professional standards of journalistic conduct.

vCash
    Ask him if he ever thinks twice about expressing such strong opinions.

vCash
    Ask him how would he feel if someone tweeted that Phil Hersh is a disgrace to journalism with @olyphil?

vCash
    Ask him if he is willing to have a live-chat debate with some FSU members?

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Hey guys. The interview was this afternoon, so some of those last questions didn't get to me in time, but we covered a LOT of ground. The interview is about 90 minutes long, and honestly we both could have talked a lot longer but we had to cut it short (if you can call 90 minutes short ). In short: it was awesome. It was a blast talking with him. We covered his thoughts on judging (both 6.0 and IJS) and the misuse of PCS scores, the decline of popularity in skating in the US, Michelle Kwan, his "rivalry" with Christine Brennan, use of social media, whether or not he reads FSU :p, and much much more. It was great.

And he showed me some really amazing items in his house: all his numerous press passes, and the most item of all: I guess I never realized that this item would end up anywhere but a trash can! If you can't see it on Facebook, here it is on Twitter.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast