Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Hersh's articles about figure skating lately seem to be either about how awful IJS is, how bad the current crop of US skaters are or how unpopular figure skating has become. Sometimes a combination of all three. I wonder if he is just bored with the sport?
    Or maybe he's just telling the truth?

Agree that he ignores dance, but how long has it been since we've had a man, lady or pair on a World podium?

Ladies? 2006, Kimmie & Sasha
    That's 7 years without a ladies' medal. The US only had 6 years without a ladies' medalist since WWII- 1947-2006, a 60 year period. 3 of those draught years were 1962-64, post the plane crash that wiped out the entire US team. He's right. WTF happened to our great ladies' tradition? The one that kept the casual fan watching...

Real question for Phil: Why does he think our ladies program has just fallen off the radar? I want his real insight, not junk about IJS or squeals and snarks about Gracie can/no she can't/yes she can/no she can't... yada yada.

Men? 2009, Evan
    4 years without a men's medal. Tied for 2nd worst draught on record with the post-plane crash period 1960-1964. (1971-1977 was the longest.)

Real question for Phil: Who does he think is going to put us back on the podium? Josh? Max? Why? I don't want to hear some fluff about his Chicago homeboy Jason Brown... until Jason has a reliable quad and 3axel in competition he's not even going to see a World rink.

Pairs? 2002 Ina/Zimmerman bronze
    Not that we've ever had a tradition of great pairs, but you gotta start to wonder if we'll ever even get back to that place in time where we at least had contenders for, like, maybe bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He has been quite dismissive of ice dance in the past. Why does he not cover it more now it's the US's strongest discipline?
    This ^

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    What can be done to increase interest in skating; with both the public, and the media?

I'm grateful that Phil covers the sport, when so many entities/reporters no longer do so.
    Please, tell him that,
    This is the question I have too, plus does he believe that IJS/COP is the problem? Does he believe that a return to the 6.0 system is the solution?

vCash
    What needs to happen in the sport to change his negative attitude toward it?
    Kiss his ........
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't agree with everything that Mr. Hersh says, by any means.
    However, would all of you who are so opposed to him, rather have no coverage at all?

That's what's likely to happen, if he stops writing about the sport.
    Skating needs all the mainstream attention it can get.

I'm sure that manleywoman will do her best to address our questions.
    I'm looking forward to the interview.

vCash
    However, would all of you who are so opposed to him, rather have no coverage at all?

That's what's likely to happen, if he stops writing about the sport.
    Skating needs all the mainstream attention it can get.
    No coverage.... or not finding anything good about the sport except for snarky and sarcastic comments? I say no coverage.

He certainly isn't bring new fans to the sport when everything he writes about is bitching and complaining. I'm sure someone out there can find good things about this sport and write about them.

vCash
    Now that his articles require login to view, I'm essentially at no coverage.

vCash
    He's not responsible for that!

julieann, you'll likely get your wish.
    It will be too bad if you do.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure most newspapers would still pick up AP/Reuters newstories about Worlds and other major events, so not sure we'd ever get to a point where skating received no coverage at all. That would happen regardless of US columnists and their coverage of the sport. And to be honest, I doubt skating would get less coverage in an Olympic year, no matter what Hersh himself decides to do.

An actual Q for Phil Hersh (maleywoman, please feel free to leave it out if you feel it doesn't come across well). He's now become a controversial -or at least polarizing- figure in the online skating community. Is he actually trying to bring about some changes to the current IJS (if so, any major issues he'd like to see addressed?) or he is so disenchanted with the sport, it's coming out in his articles?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i guess the truth hurts. ask phil what kinds of feedback he gets from skaters and the usfsa if any.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    julieann, you'll likely get your wish.
    It will be too bad if you do.
    Fine. Getting someone else in there to do a better job would be fine too. He's not the only game in town.

I would love to know if he's ever been a fan of skating or is he forced to write about it (and about other sports) he's not fond of because it's his job.

vCash
    I would like to know what he likes about skating. And if he tries to slip into a negative response, yank him back and make him say something positive!

vCash
    Will he give a shout-out to FSUniverse since it seems he gets half of his material or article ideas from here?

vCash
    Dear Mr Hersh: Since you seem to hate figure skating so much nowadays, can I have your job?

Genuine question: Why are the Americans so fixated on the idea that ONLY a lady can be a superstar and having a ladies medallist is ALL that matters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    No coverage.... or not finding anything good about the sport except for snarky and sarcastic comments? I say no coverage.

He certainly isn't bring new fans to the sport when everything he writes about is bitching and complaining. I'm sure someone out there can find good things about this sport and write about them.
    Snarky, sarcastic comments....bitching and complaining....you just described 50% of the content that figure skating fans post on internet message boards, Facebook, and Twitter. I find it ironic that some people are bashing Hersh for writing negative comments about skaters, yet they seem to condone the deragatory, snarky, petty, and mean spirited comments that have unfortunately come to be too prevelant on the internet.

I don't agree with all of Hersh's opinons. However, I am thankful that he gives the sport some coverage. Can he be overly critical at times? Yes; however, I don't see his opinions as being any more negative than a lot of sports commentary that I read and/or hear on sports talk radio.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    I would like to ask him what role he thinks social media plays in journalism. For example he has mentioned skaters in his tweets and not always positively (for example when Rippon changed coaches, he tweeted and mentioned Rippon, saying maybe the problem was him and not the coaches; and when Korpi withdrew from worlds, he mentioned her in his tweet about how the US chances to regain three spots went up because of her withdrawal).

I know the Korpi tweet caused a lot of here, and I'm curious what he thinks about that.
    Last edited by danafan; 04-23-2013 at 02:16 AM.

vCash
    I'm interested in the social media thing too. It's like he doesn't make the connection that there are real people behind those names he links to.

vCash
    I emailed him once to let him know he did a very thorough job on an article I had read (with lots of information I had never read before on figure skating) and he sent me a very nice reply. I've read just about everything on figure skating for years and in that one article I had learned many facts about the inside dealings of how figure skating operates as a business. I'm sure he gets lots of emails so it was impressive he sent me such a thoughtful note.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    Snarky, sarcastic comments....bitching and complaining....you just described 50% of the content that figure skating fans post on internet message boards, Facebook, and Twitter. I find it ironic that some people are bashing Hersh for writing negative comments about skaters, yet they seem to condone the deragatory, snarky, petty, and mean spirited comments that have unfortunately come to be too prevelant on the internet.
    Phil gets paid to write news about the sport, not to be snarky and inaccurate. That's a very important difference.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Though lets face it: the snarkier you are, the more press/coverage/retweets/etc you get. That's been proven for decades, in every media. It's actually something I personally am not interested in, but I recognize I'd have more fans and followers if I were snarkier. There's a reason people went to sources like Perez Hilton for celebrity news over and over, even if they dismissed Hilton publicly.

Thanks all for the great questions and keep them coming. Many are some of the same ones I had as well. He's generously invited me to his house tomorrow for the interview, so we could do it in person. I plan on addressing why it seems like someone from skating peed in his cornflakes , but I hope to do it respectfully. I'm thrilled to be doing this one since I've been asking him since last Fall.
    Last edited by manleywoman; 04-23-2013 at 04:07 AM.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Ask him if he feels pressure from his bosses to be more lenient on skaters from his area of the woods?

I'd also like to know how he handles having favorites and being forced to report on them. He's forever made excuses for Alissa Czisny but doesn't have a problem being harder on other skaters for less disastrous performances.

Does he regret his behavior at the 2001 Skate America press conference. He and Christine Brennan were very harsh toward Michelle Kwan.

Does he ever cheer for or against a skater to skate well/or poorly for the sake of a good story?

Has he felt any pressure from his bosses to focus less on skating?

Has any skater ever confronted him about a rude comment he made?

Why was he so harsh to Jenny Kirk by not calling her a real journalist. How does he respond to people saying he felt threatened by her column?

On that note, has he ever apologized to any athlete for anything he wrote?

Aside from the tired but true examples, Bowman, Bobek and Harding, who had the talent to become a bigger star but didn't? Has he predicted a skater to have huge success but didn't? Has the opposite happened?

Thanks for the podcasts, Manleywoman. Keep up the good work!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast