Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    To answer the question - absolutely nothing. The people who love them will love them, the people who hate them will hate them, etc.

For me, reputation has very little to do with medal count. Two of my absolute all time favorites - the Duchesnays and A/P - only won 1 world gold each. Yet I can still remember all their programs, see them clearly in my mind, and remember the excitement and emotion I felt when I watched them skate. For me it's programs rather than medals that makes dancers' reputations.

I was despairing of V/M until this year. With Carmen they have really ascended to that next level and are now FINALLY living up to their potential. This is HANDS DOWN the absolute BEST interpretation of Carmen I have ever seen and will definitely rank as one of my all-time favorite FDs. I am so glad they finally decided to get a real choreographer. Everything in this program belongs - it's an organic whole - it has a very definite POV - all the elements not only fit the program but add to the mood - this should get a 10 for interpretation. My only regret is that they didnt come to WTT - I was so looking forward to seeing this live.

This is the best thing they have ever done and Im so glad they are sticking with the choreographer for next year. And they've specifically said we shouldnt expect Mahler 2.0. They set the bar very high with Carmen, but I am expecting something equally good next year. Whatever medal they win, their reputation is secure.
    Great post, Tak.

vCash
    They will always be Olympic Champions. Any other medal they win is icing on the cake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Can someone who can rep please rep Vagabond? A lot?
    Done

vCash
    If everything goes forward in the right direction, they would win..

vCash
    I don't see V&M losing their reputation IF they fail to win the 2014 OGM. They already have an OGM and many other gold medals to boot. Most will probably agree that both V&M and D&W are currently the best dancers. It all depends on who will prevail when the time comes.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I think even if D&W end up with a better career than V&M that V&M will always be remembered as the greater and more legendary dancers. I am not saying D&W dont deserve their wins (well there are 1 or 2 I might question but that is moot to my point) but V&M just have that extra quality that transcends points and medals, while D&W dont quite.

vCash
    V/M are Olympic champs, and always will be Olympic champs. A silver in Sochi won't change that. If anything, it'll make them even more impressive. How many Olympic dance champions have been capable of remaining in the top 2 internationally for four full years AFTER their OGM???

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    V/M are Olympic champs, and always will be Olympic champs. A silver in Sochi won't change that. If anything, it'll make them even more impressive. How many Olympic dance champions have been capable of remaining in the top 2 internationally for four full years AFTER their OGM???
    Only Grishuk and Platov so far.

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    I don't think a loss in 2014 would hurt Tessa and Scott's reputation at all. Winning in 2010 pretty much cemented the praise they'd earned before they even turned senior.

Regardless of what happens, they will go down as one of the best ice dance pairs in history, and the rivalry they have with Meryl and Charlie will probably be considered one of the best, if not the best rivalry in skating history. They and their training mates helped to legitimate and progress ice dance and to give it a glowing reputation among mainstream observers and even people who are figure skating fans but could not stand that discipline.

Whatever happens, a loss will not cause them any grief at all.

vCash
    It gets regurgitated for years and years by FSUers.

vCash
    Along with other skaters in the same kind of positions - like Kurt Browning and Michelle Kwan - they will be considered among the all time greats no matter the outcome.

People will be able to watch their array of programs with awe and be astounded at Virtue's accomplishments with her leg challenges. In addition, they will continue to have their haters who don't do any of those things.

I hope if they don't win V and M too will be able to look back on their career with great satisfaction and know just what they have contributed to the sport and how much joy they have given their fans - by staying in another 4 years.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    No matter the outcome, not winning gold will have no effect on their reputation. And I don't consider it losing. I give them major props for competing after 2010. When people speak of "tarnishing reputation" often it has to do with the said skater's reputation to begin with. To earn a second Olympic medal of any color..and I suspect that they will..is phenomenal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123