Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    [QUOTE=DORISPULASKI;3909200Maurizio had elegant carriage and a good ability to catch the character of the dance, especially of the Latin dances & tango.[/QUOTE]

I agee with this he really was on fire in these dances .
    What is Khoklova doing is she coaching ?

vCash
    I could never hate on F-P&M too much because I always felt that despite his technical shortcomings, Maurizio was one of the few men who had a real range of performance ability.

Why is it always the Italian and French teams that can pull off the Latin type stuff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Agosto was a much better skater than Belbin. I also agree with the Averbukh-Lobacheva mention.

Perhaps Fusar-Poli & Margaglio were further apart in their skill levels than any other ice dance couple. She did all the 'work'. He did almost nothing (that's why "that" glare from her in 2006, I think. )
    I never liked Fusar-Poli, although she was better than Margaglio when it came to dance, but he was just so goodlooking...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    Wester / Barantsev That was so painful to watch at the beginning.

Angelika Krylova with her first partners. They were not bad, but she had so much charisma and fire that she made them disappear.
    I'm trying to think of who she wouldn't have made disappear. Maybe french guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Carmina Burana. I can't believe I can't remember his name.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Had he done ice dance with a broom or mop, Peter Tchernyshev might have found a partner closer to his athletic and technical level.
    That's harsh. I thought Peter was WAY better than a broom or a mop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Khokhlova and Andreev, lol.
    LITERALLY LOL... not just typing it because i smiled.

vCash
    Galit Chait, especially in the early years of C/S's international competitive career. He was way, way, way better than she was. She got better as time went on, but never really got close to his level. I know I saw them at least four times at international competitions, and her skating skills were clearly weaker, especially when you saw her at practices with other top teams on the ice at the same time practicing compulsories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    I'm trying to think of who she wouldn't have made disappear. Maybe french guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Carmina Burana. I can't believe I can't remember his name.
    You mean Gwendal Peizerat, the 2002 olympic champion, don´t you?
    Margaglio was such a good actor that you often forgot to watch his feet. Kostomarov did not have that talent, even though he was pleasant to watch.

vCash
    Krylova and Peizerat would have been interesting to see. I think Platov could have held his own with Krylova, too. Btw, have Krylova and Camerlengo ever performed together?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobinA View Post
    That's harsh. I thought Peter was WAY better than a broom or a mop.
    Haha, I think you're being sarcastic but I think the poster's point is implying that Naomi was worse than a broom or mop.

vCash
    She had far more elegant posture and toe point than a broom or mop

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudy_Gumdrops View Post
    I could never hate on F-P&M too much because I always felt that despite his technical shortcomings, Maurizio was one of the few men who had a real range of performance ability.

Why is it always the Italian and French teams that can pull off the Latin type stuff?
    Because we got the hottest skaters
    Ok jokes aside, regarding Italian ice dance I think it's because the Italian school puts a lot of emphasis on interpretating every genre of music.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Because we got the hottest skaters
    Ok jokes aside, regarding Italian ice dance I think it's because the Italian school puts a lot of emphasis on interpretating every genre of music.
    May the Italian school continue to emphasize versatility in interpretation

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Btw, have Krylova and Camerlengo ever performed together?
    I don't believe so. Here is Krylova skating recently with Ruslan Goncharov (2010).... she looks great!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMyv9lvBGeE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dQDgEoC_4M

vCash
    Hmmm Melissa Gregory and Denis Petukhov??

Still I could watch their RAdam & Eve any time.

Also Morgan Matthews seemed way more talented than Maxim Zavozin.

vCash
    My vote definitely goes to Fusar Poli and Margalio... so much 2 foot skating. He did improve so much as years went on though!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    I know this post is going to anger a lot of people but may I be the devil's advocate and suggest D/W? Overall I feel like she is better than him but he has better edges than her
    I used to think that he was pretty clearly better at twizzles than she, but they're both amazing at them now.

vCash
    I always thought Averbukh was much better than Lobacheva.
    He was very musical and much more of a showman but her blades were also excellent. Among their contemporaries, they were actually a much better matched team than some others. Folks have already mentioned Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, but Drobiasko was also a much weaker skater technically than Vanagas and Galit Chait was totally undeserving of her Russian emigre partner.

could it be that changes to required elements showed up the differences more?
    It is the other way around. This odd generation of mis-matched teams mostly rose to the top of the senior level under the old judging system before there were any required elements in dance. I do think, though, that COP's elements were developed in part in response to dancers of that time. I still think this generation of mis-matched couples (esp the Italians) is why we see the no-touch steps and SBS twizzles as elements in ice dance today. Before COP, there was no precedent for dance teams skating without touching, as partner separations in dance were strictly limited.

What about Dom-Shabs? She was really good and to me he was not.
    When they were a young team, before his knee troubles, I actually thought he was the better skater.

And I think that Denkova and Staviski matched well as a team, but in terms of content, I feel like he did the heavy lifting (no pun intended)
    I agree they weren't obviously mismatched in terms of skill though they were a bit too similar in height. Like Averbukh, Maxim was the showier partner.

I always thought Delobel/Schoenfelder were pretty mismatched. Apart from the awkward difference in height, he was a much better skater than she.

Well Charlie White did singles! But that was always in addition to dance and dance was the first love I think.
    I don't think it was a question of dance being his first love. He started ice dance because his singles coach thought it would improve his posture and skating. (He tended to skate leaning forward like a hockey player, apparently.) He skated singles all the way thru juniors. I know he did 3 lutzes, I don't know if he ever learned a 3 axel. I think it probably just came down to deciding to chose the one where he was having the most success.

Personally, I always thought Charlie was a better skater than Meryl when you look at their edges. Today, though, I'd say they are pretty even. Especially in the last couple years, her edges and their cleanness and unison have improved remarkably.
    Last edited by Susan M; 04-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.

vCash
    As I think that DenStas were among the best matches in Ice Dancing of the last decade...
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I agree they weren't obviously mismatched in terms of skill though they were a bit too similar in height.
    I'd say, well, their similar height is one of the features I do much appreciate. If it was pairs, I'd fully agree, you expect a much smaller female partner then. But in Ice Dancing, such similar height adds to harmonious dance postures and an eqaulity in the steps/dance patterns (don't know how to put it better).

vCash
    C/S he was light years fast & better then her

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast