Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    Nothing that Patrick has said or done merits that comment!
    I believe it's a troll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I believe it's a troll
    Click the pretty triangle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I found this part of the interview very intriguing as well. You'd think the training conditions in Colorado Springs were somehow sub-par they way he talks. And while I'm glad he found his recent time in Detroit to be drama free, I seriously doubt he will find it remains that way, especially if he hangs out with the ice dancers.
    I think there are fewer elite skaters in Co. Springs...which means there, if Patrick takes a day off or cuts his sesh short, no one notices. In Detroit he has to show up every day...and work.

vCash
    sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by Dyu; 04-23-2013 at 04:53 AM.

vCash
    The thing is that there's lots of truth in his comments..
    Last edited by Dyu; 04-23-2013 at 04:53 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    That type of "humor"/response is not appropriate here, or funny, IMO,
    I agree. These type of posts do not add to the discussion, or help educate people who are lurking in the hopes of learning more about the sport. These posts are little more than an attempt to be clever, at another person's expense.

vCash
    Not even clever, just merely crass, like grade 3 boy bathroom humor.

vCash
    If you don't like them, then put the poster on ignore and move on.

vCash
    I am far from an expert on the ISU finances but I do understand organizational finances in general and his comments are ridiculously simplistic and ego-centric. it seems to me the elite events support the development programs such as the junior grand prix. A series patrick benefitted from himself. We can debate the value of various ISU initiatives but I am sure that the reality for an organization like the ISU is that the big events, support the smaller. For example, I cannot imagine that a typical junior grand prix makes the organizer any money without ISU support. The lack of interest in hosting junior worlds and four continents shows that federations find those tough too. These high paying events support the others.

I have always loved patrick. I think he has a wonderful talent and is one of the great skaters. However, these types of comments are getting really tiresome and I find it harder and harder to want to see him win. His image is taking a beating. Comments like this plus his substandard performances this year are really tarnishing him. Aside from ISU displeasure, sponsors will stay away from him as in a sport like FS, I can't image sponsors wanting to deal with a loose cannon. Add to this he made quite a bit of money for his weekend in tokyo (especially compared to the average canadian) and he comes off like a spoiled brat.

If he really wants the Olympic gold, he needs to focus on training, get a proper technical coach (the reality is that his technical skills betrayed him this year and any improvements in expression/artistry are lost when you are on your backside) and keep his mouth shut. Let his performances speak. Otherwise, he will be added to the list of great skaters who never win an Olympic gold.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Unfortunately the downside of doing that is, the problem persists and may spread. I'm not saying we should harp on it forever. However like witnessing bullying, sometimes it needs to be challenged immediately. The difficulty is knowing when to challenge, and when to ignore. I guess it would be the point where a Troll steps over the line and becomes a Bully. Trolls should be ignored, while Bullies need to be confronted. ...Just my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I was just commenting on comments made by others on another's comments.

vCash
    Well said, Mont.

While I find Patrick's comments colorful and would prefer honesty to the standard PC PR language, at this point he sounds petulant. I have no sympathy, that's for sure. The performance should always speak for itself- although judging is still subjective. It will be interesting to see how the Olympic year shakes out for all the skaters that have so much at stake in terms of wanting to define their careers with an Olympic medal.

vCash
    Patrick might want to do some research about what happened the last time skaters; and others who were concerned about the sport, -- some seemingly beyond reproach -- dared "challenge" the ISU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Unfortunately the downside of doing that is, the problem persists and may spread. I'm not saying we should harp on it forever. However like witnessing bullying, sometimes it needs to be challenged immediately. The difficulty is knowing when to challenge, and when to ignore. I guess it would be the point where a Troll steps over the line and becomes a Bully. Trolls should be ignored, while Bullies need to be confronted. ...Just my opinion.
    IMO too rvi5. Even in real life, I don't believe bullies should be ignored because they will only get worse and I don't think it's just and fair for their victims to take all the crap. We are not wild animals. We are humans and we should expect a certain level of civility and behaviour among ourselves. That's why we need the rule of law and code of conduct otherwise can we imagine the mayhem and disaster from bullying mob behaviors.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 04-23-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. Ė Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I honestly have no problems with what Patrick said. I also think this competition is stupid. These skaters train to peak at World's. This will never be more than an afterthought for them. As far as unions. Most sports have them. Granted some of them have been IMO getting greedy. But it is hardly ridiculous to mention it. I also think if the skaters had a union they might be able to have a hand in fixing the COP. They should as well as the coaches should have at least a real say. Which i don;t think they do. It is certainly better than the 6.0 by a land mile but it is flawed.

And a lot of these skaters do shows to help pay for their careers. Sure they get sponsorship. But a lot of times it isn't enough.

Patrick is terrible at diplomacy but I really don't give a crap. Just because you don't like his attitude doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to contribute or have a real valid point to make.

I also think discounting their training competitive schedules as no big deal is unfair. They train/create entirely new product from june/july and compete until march. They don't get paid like any other sports people and are stuck between amateur and professional status with restrictions on what they can and can't do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I'm going to be so disappointed if he doesn't skate to "Go Down Moses" for his FS next year.
    Sung by James, the rejected American Idol contestant.

vCash
    While Patrick does lack the diplomatic finesse of his fellow skaters, I think he raises an important point. Why does the ISU have so much power (force skaters to compete and inflict penalties) and why are skaters/coaches so afraid to question their decisions? Sounds more like a dictatorship that a sports federation...

vCash
    Again, going off my knowledge of other similar structures. The ISU provides the competition infastructure to the athletes. They also are the international federation recognized by the IOC. So while change is almost undoubtedly needed and its ridiculous that these old people are clinging to ISU positions on council (eg Cinquanta, Dore) until virtually their last breath, even modernizing it there will be the need for some of these rules to ensure it remains viable. One cannot cut away parts without considering the whole.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456