Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    I am starting to like Chan.
    They say that his skating live is the most impressive.

I dont care anymore. Off season started very well. And it is not even Eurosong yet!
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    It's understandable that Chan falls so much. It is really difficult to stay upright when you have such a large head. He should definately get more P/E points for that!

vCash
    poor Konstantin Menshov...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by karlon View Post
    poor Konstantin Menshov...
    But it could have been much worse, it could have been Patrick!

I think if someone wants to establish a skaters' union, which is certainly a worthwhile project, perhaps it would be best to start by not criticizing and belittling other skaters.

Of course, I am grateful to Patrick for providing us this off-season moment.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I think if someone wants to establish a skaters' union, which is certainly a worthwhile project, perhaps it would be best to start by not criticizing and belittling other skaters.
    t.
    Another thing that bugs is him referring to "the Russians" and "the Chinese" as "saying they were hurt" to get out of it. I was like, which Russians, which Chinese, in what disciplines? I prefer it when they use names instead of terms like the Swiss guy or the Lillehammar guy. If you're going to imply people are faking, best to at least use names.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I can't really see the point of a "union" for skaters. I can't think of any other expensive niche sport in the Olympics that has one. I mean, there's no draft, there's no salaries, they can't switch 'teams' the way cyclists can, there aren't team owners to negotiate with, and frankly skaters don't necessarily have common interests--what's good timing, venue, judges, etc. for one skater/pair could be a disaster for another. What they NEED is a federation that takes feedback from the skaters in some other form than hearing complaints in the press and which responds to them in some other way than "this is how it is, enjoy your drop in PCS."

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    What they NEED is a federation that takes feedback from the skaters in some other form than hearing complaints in the press and which responds to them in some other way than "this is how it is, enjoy your drop in PCS."
    This.

Wasn't there some kind of athlete's council (?) in either the USFS or ISU? I think Todd Eldredge was a part of it. Anyone remember? Sylvia, help!

vCash
    USFS has an Athletes Advisory Committee, currently chaired by Lindsey Weber - 2012-13 committee members list: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?type=leadership&id=826
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

YEAH!
    vCash
    I know I could count on you. To those in the know , does the Committee have any teeth?

vCash
    I just wish skaters - and "journalists" would stop harping on what a "long, exhausting" someption season they have. The ISU/NGBs ask elite skaters like Chan to do three Grand Pris events during the fall, the GP final if they make it, then Nationals, Euros/4CC, and Worlds in the spring. That's certainly a lot more than the skaters of a few decades ago had to to when all they had was Nationals and worlds, but it's certainly not exactly grueling when put up against a lot of other high-profile sports. Plus all those "extra" competitions were put in to give the skaters opportunities to be seen by international judges, and earn money, both of which the skaters and the NGBs wanted. Even 4CCs was instituted because the non-European federations felt their skaters were being short-changed by not having that opportunity.

So in a normal season, we're talking a max of seven competitions in seven months. Are skaters really such delicate flowers that they can't take the stresses of seven events a year? That's certainly what it sounds like to me.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    Patrick shut up. Tired at end of season sure so are your competitors.
    Should have skated in 1997/1998 season like michelle did. Started in october 1997 ended in July of 1998 with the Goodwill games. She did worlds after Olympics too. Also,a pro am.
    Yes but this is an Olympic season and every day, week, month counts. Those whose season ended at Nationals, Euros or 4CC have a very big advantage as they have their choreography done and have already taken a break from training. Skaters like Patrick don't get a week off until about June by the time they finish WTT and SOI, etc and then do their new choreo. The rest of the world has a 3-4 month head start going into an Olympic year. The top competitors not competing at WTT or touring also have a big head start.
    Also in an Olympic season you have to peak earlier. Again, less time.

Patrick had shortened prep for 2010 as well with an injury and he knows how much it hurt him. He's freaking out a little and I don't blame him. This is in part a function of the pressure building for the upcoming season.

vCash
    ^^ Seems to me that the pressure is building for everyone, not just out of sorts SS God Patrick Chan. Obviously Patrick has the edge (re blades on ice and ISU judges under IJS), so the major pressure for him should be figuring out how to skate two clean programs in the Olympic spotlight and get the win sans controversy. For someone who is a 3-time World champion, Patrick seems to be a bit of a prima donna.

Re the World Skating Federation effort, I think the organizers miscalculated the intricate politics and really didn't have everyone fully on board with the necessary clout and weight. They relied too much on the media making the difference, which ultimately is not a successful strategy. Cinquanta has too much power, then and now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Yes but this is an Olympic season and every day, week, month counts. Those whose season ended at Nationals, Euros or 4CC have a very big advantage as they have their choreography done and have already taken a break from training.
    Skaters who don't go to Worlds probably are not going to the Olympics anyway, or if they do, they'd be lucky to make the FS, so their very big advantage is meaningless.

Skaters like Patrick don't get a week off until about June by the time they finish WTT and SOI, etc and then do their new choreo.
    It's Chan's CHOICE to do two tours. If he didn't do them, or did just one, he'd have plenty of time to rest and work on new programs. As I understand it, he is keeping his SP, so he only has to prepare a FS. Many skaters are working on TWO NEW programs for Sochi. Ice dancers ALWAYS have to prepare two new programs.

Anyway, according to Patrick, there are no skaters "like Patrick".

Also in an Olympic season you have to peak earlier. Again, less time. Patrick had shortened prep for 2010 as well with an injury and he knows how much it hurt him. He's freaking out a little and I don't blame him.
    The world doesn't revolve around Chan and his ego. If he was less public about his feelings, he might have a lot more fans. ALL the skaters are preparing for the Olympics, and most are not sounding off like hysterical divas.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Skaters who don't go to Worlds probably are not going to the Olympics anyway, or if they do, they'd be lucky to make the FS, so their very big advantage is meaningless.
    That's certainly untrue of countries/disciplines with depth or unfortunate circumstances like the Russian Men, for places where strong skaters will come from he junior ranks, or where top skaters were too injured to be fully trained for Worlds.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Banned Member
    vCash
    Once again, Chan's toilet is green with envy......

vCash
    ^^^
    Nothing that Patrick has said or done merits that comment!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    ^^^
    Nothing that Patrick has said or done merits that comment!
    Agreed. This poster has posted like comments before. Word-Most folks are not interested in your bathroom fetish
    and I wish he/she would keep said fetish to him/herself. Sad.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Eh, I find the poster's comments funny, considering Patrick made some graphic comments about his digestive system after the GPF in Sochi... something like hoping his pants remained clean throughout the skate. I would think he wouldn't be offended by that type of humor.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks
    Patrick's above sentiments spark a lot of questions, IMO. Why exactly does Patrick feel he wouldn't have won Worlds in London had he not switched his training site to Detroit? He was not even in Detroit for that long before Worlds in any case. What was going on in Colorado that was so detrimental or uncomfortable?
    I found this part of the interview very intriguing as well. You'd think the training conditions in Colorado Springs were somehow sub-par they way he talks. And while I'm glad he found his recent time in Detroit to be drama free, I seriously doubt he will find it remains that way, especially if he hangs out with the ice dancers.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    That type of "humor"/response is not appropriate here, or funny, IMO,

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast