Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Wasn't the idea floated (by Cinquanta?) to incorporate the team event into the World Championships in the future, depending on how the team event goes in Sochi? I thought I had read or heard a mention of the next scheduled WTT being held in Japan in 2015 (funded by TV Asahi again?) but I can't remember the source now.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    All of the quotes come from Patrick himself. He is suffering from severe foot-in-mouth disease and I fear it will not do him any favors.

Team competition is now part of the Olympics. There are skaters who will not medal in their individual events that will pick up an Olympic medal in team. And Chan might be one of them...
    All sports but figure skating mostly has unions to protect the athletes. Not sure how this is "foot in mouth" disease when other sports have unions. IT would help bring balance to figure skating , make it more enjoyable to watch given rights are protected. I can see where it would be a blessing. To not allow federations to just do what ever they want. Especially since the skaters pay a ton of money for their own training it makes sense they stay in charge of their own rights.

Again I have seen skaters train very hard , families sacrifice and then the federations says we hate that program or music or costume change it but they do not help monetarily to do so. OR a skaters wants to do a program but is told NO and black balled if they do not follow the federations comments and ideas. IT takes the passion out of it and is horribly hard on the skater, training, and the family. I think this is a good idea. It should be a choice if the federation pays for everything and earns a lot of money it should be fair for the athletes too....would love to hear about this more.

vCash
    He is just the gift that keeps on giving.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

Agree with taf that having WTT before the start of the season would make more sense - skaters would take it seriously to have a chance to get mileage on their programs, and have time to make any adjustments before GP starts. Wasn't the GWG comp right before GP? I thought that worked well.

I think it depended on the edition. In 1998, I think it was in the middle of summer (late July or early August?), which is an extremely early (or late) point in the season to have a competition, and I actually think we saw more programs carried over from the '98 season rather than a bunch of new programs debuted. The level of skating was pretty mediocre, too.

The 2001 version was in late August-early September, and we got a chance to see most of the top skaters' new Olympic season programs for the first time. The individual Japan Open competition is now a chance to see some new programs debuted, but I'd almost rather it be replaced with the team edition if they insist on keeping it.

vCash
    Some people don't understand why they should say less.

vCash
    The union is okay, but the sport as a whole will have to put more people in seats, shows, tours, online, psy more those events.

vCash
    Any possibility that he's making these statements to lay groundwork to NOT compete in the Oly team event? I have been totally sticking my fingers in my ears about that event, so I don't really know the criteria, but I was under the impression that Oly individual event skaters must perform in the team event unless there are more skaters from that country competing in their event than the country has slots on the team event...or something.
    If that's the case, he should take it up with Skate Canada. I believe that any of the three men Canada will presumably send to Sochi can compete in the team event - either one or two, depending on whether they want to have the same person skate both segments or not.

Quote Originally Posted by figureit View Post
    All sports but figure skating mostly has unions to protect the athletes. Not sure how this is "foot in mouth" disease when other sports have unions. IT would help bring balance to figure skating , make it more enjoyable to watch given rights are protected. I can see where it would be a blessing. To not allow federations to just do what ever they want. Especially since the skaters pay a ton of money for their own training it makes sense they stay in charge of their own rights.
    There is a vast difference between "skaters should have a union" and most of what Chan said.

vCash
    sorry, double post.

vCash
    The other partcomes across as bitterness, arrogance, self enitlement.
    Iknow I need to win is points . I dont care if I skate badly and still win.
    The fans, b.c. pubic, media I dont care.
    I, will say and skate the wayi want so ican,win in hopes of more money etc
    Patrick doesnt realize or care how his words are seen or interpreted by others.
    He thinks or knows he will be ogm regardless of how he skates sohe,opens his mouth accordingly. He knows dedpite his,hlaring mistakes he will win. The only thing that will slow him down is injury
    Why shouldnt he , he wins by skating diastrous frees because he has enough points and his nearest competitors make justad many mistakes as he does just not as noticesble
    Patrick should realize,the public will decide whether or not he deserves to get what he thinks he does when he pjtches whatever in front of public

vCash
    I agree with the sentiments about WTT - I can't think of it as anything but a fluff pro-am without the pros - but this just comes across as sour grapes. Agree that he wouldn't be saying these things if he'd skated well.

Any possibility that he's making these statements to lay groundwork to NOT compete in the Oly team event? I have been totally sticking my fingers in my ears about that event, so I don't really know the criteria, but I was under the impression that Oly individual event skaters must perform in the team event unless there are more skaters from that country competing in their event than the country has slots on the team event...or something.

Agree with taf that having WTT before the start of the season would make more sense - skaters would take it seriously to have a chance to get mileage on their programs, and have time to make any adjustments before GP starts. Wasn't the GWG comp right before GP? I thought that worked well.
    Up to two skaters can compete in any individual discipline of the team event (one in the short, one in the long - same skater or two different ones), with a total of six entrants (so Canada can field, say two pairs teams and two dance teams, but one each in the single events). Canada's real issue is that they don't really have much breadth or depth in either of the singles disciplines (which makes the ability to get that third spot rather amusing). Yes, Reynolds is at a career high, but a tough caller will defenestrate him (though he could still contribute to a gold medal in the event, it would be far less of a lock)

He's skating in the team event at the Olympics, I have no doubt.

vCash
    All sports have rules in place regarding what athletes can or cannot do, compensation, restrictions etc.
    That is patently untrue. In professional cycling, a cyclist can negotiate with any team that would have him and sign a contract for as many or as few years as he wants. More to the point, it is up to him which events he rides. There is no penalty if he opts not to ride in the World Championships (in fact many top cyclists don't) and there are no restrictions on what non-UCI events (including competitions) he participates in. None of that affects his Olympic eligibility.

Same for pro tennis and golf. A top tennis player does not lose his Olympic eligibility by performing in an exhibition match instead of traveling to the Australian open or not playing Davis Cup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    That is patently untrue. In professional cycling, a cyclist can negotiate with any team that would have him and sign a contract for as many or as few years as he wants. More to the point, it is up to him which events he rides. There is no penalty if he opts not to ride in the World Championships (in fact many top cyclists don't) and there are no restrictions on what non-UCI events (including competitions) he participates in. None of that affects his Olympic eligibility.
    I did not say that all sports have the same rules and restrictions. Some sports are more structured, other less - but they all have rules and regulations, and no athletes get to have their sport work in the way that is most convenient to them personally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Will he?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    People have been saying that for years now. I guess he's a very slow learner.
    Lol, in fairness, he did come to prominence as a teen. But yeah, it seems to be a slow learning curve and there is no guarantee that he will learn. I still find this article really amusing

I do hope skaters become unionized in the future, though.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I agree with the sentiments about WTT - I can't think of it as anything but a fluff pro-am without the pros - but this just comes across as sour grapes. Agree that he wouldn't be saying these things if he'd skated well.
    I think he's like Trankov that way: if he didn't like the timing, he's complain no matter how well he or the team did.

I doubt it, because in another thread (maybe the "Chan Whines about WTT" thread?), there was a quote from him saying he liked the timing of the Olympic team even to get out the nerves and how it would foster team kumbaya.

The rules allow Canada to choose to enter either one man for both the SP and FS, or one each for the SP and FS. The Men chosen have to be there for the individual event since Canada qualified at least one -- appointments are only for disciplines where te country hasn't qualified anyone for the individual event -- but Canada has three entries for Men, and Skate Canada doesn't have to choose Chan to skate. As expected gold medal contenders, they'd be crazy not to choose him, assuming he's healthy.

I'm with you two.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    If he skates the way he is capable, he should be Olympic champion next year, and I would bet he will be. However, if there has been a less likable skater in recent years, I can't think of one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Some people don't understand why they should say less.
    IMO, Open mouth and insert both feet: with boots and blades attached. Slit throat

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The problem with a skaters' union is the same problem that cyclists have with forming a union - their interests often don't align. I expect only a few elite skaters with private sponsors would be worried about getting a right not to compete at an event with significant prize money. More would proably be concerned with trying to promote the financial viability of events they hope to one day be able attend.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    at some Chan‘s words.
    for his honesty.
    But I am a little concerned about from ISU and from Japanese audiences. (rightly so, in the latter case)
    Last edited by t.mann; 04-21-2013 at 08:47 PM.

vCash
    the isu and japanese fed may be rightfully upset but how many times do skaters need to voice how much they're not liking how this competition is set up before those organizations address the issue? yes, you want a money making opportunity. yes, you want to give more cotent to the audience that values figure skating, argubaly, the most. yes, it's another opportunity to give skaters more funds for their skating. but you can't just drag the skaters into it and force them to do it in order to accomplish those goals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    the isu and japanese fed may be rightfully upset but how many times do skaters need to voice how much they're not liking how this competition is set up before those organizations address the issue? yes, you want a money making opportunity. yes, you want to give more cotent to the audience that values figure skating, argubaly, the most. yes, it's another opportunity to give skaters more funds for their skating. but you can't just drag the skaters into it and force them to do it in order to accomplish those goals.
    Yeah, and forcing them to accept lots of $---that's the final insult!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast