Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Exclamation Patrick Chanís new mantra: figure skaters of the world unite: DiManno

Three-time world champion Patrick Chan supports a union for figure skaters, if only to prevent them from being exploited by the sportís governing body.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/skatin...e_dimanno.html
    ďI would be at the forefront of supporting a union for skaters,Ē the three-peat world menís champion from Toronto declares. ďThis is ridiculous. I just think weíre being manipulated for the benefit of the (International Skating Union) because theyíre making all the money.Ē
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here we go again...
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I want to give Patrick the benefit of the doubt, I really do. He's a great skater and I root for him. But...

For chrissakes, shut up, shut up, shut up!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Did he leave out the part about "You have nothing to lose but your chains"? If not, that would mean the end of a few dozen Ice Dance costumes.
    Last edited by Jot the Dot Dot; 04-21-2013 at 06:00 AM.

vCash

I dispute, however, at least for everywhere that's not Japan, that WTT "is designed to squeeze . . . every last entertainment dollar out of TV broadcasting revenues." Were there other countries broadcasting the competition besides Japan? (and the ISU?)
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    The problem is that past Reynolds, there's Rogozine, who's #33 on World Standings. THAT's why Chan had to do WTT.

So he's mad at having to do WTT because there's no one at his level but him? Such modesty, such self-effacement. Does he actually believe hordes of figure skaters will heed his call to fight the ISU? Many may remember the fate of a group of judges who wanted to form a new international skating organization---they were all banned.

So it looks like he will be a union of one. This is just another episode of Chan putting foot firmly in mouth. This time he is bucking the displeasure of the ISU, and just before the Olympic year. Very clever, Paddy, very clever.

vCash

Patrick Chanís new mantra: figure skaters of the world unite: DiManno

That is Rosie's opinion. I had to read the article twice to discern her thoughts vs Chan's. Does she always write like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    That is Rosie's opinion. I had to read the article twice to discern her thoughts vs Chan's. Does she always write like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    All of the quotes come from Patrick himself. He is suffering from severe foot-in-mouth disease and I fear it will not do him any favors.

Team competition is now part of the Olympics. There are skaters who will not medal in their individual events that will pick up an Olympic medal in team. And Chan might be one of them...
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I'm going to be so disappointed if he doesn't skate to "Go Down Moses" for his FS next year.

vCash
    Let me (and my people, but mostly me...) GO!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

YEAH!
    vCash
    I think I have actually turned the corner.... I think I have hated Chan so much that I now actually like him!!! I am that he is saying this stuff. It's like this is an article from the Onion. I mean he's at Pasha levels of insanity, and I am digging it.

Further, the totally unnecessary competition leaves one more risk, at the end of the season, for athletes to suffer injury. That’s precisely what happened to Russian men’s entrant Konstantin Menshov, who dislocated located his shoulder falling on a jump in the free skate segment.

“What if that was me?” wonders Chan. “What if my training for next year, an Olympic year, had gone out the window because of a stupid injury at a stupid competition?”
    Oh Patrick, I know you don't mean that the way it sounds, but... Cause it sounds like "Who cares if old Menshov gets injured, it could have been ME!"

vCash
    Well Patrick don't expect to get invited to any Japan shows after dissing WTT which has been hosted by Japan since its inception.
    He goes on to speak for other skaters as well, maybe he should think about a career in politics after his retirement. This article
    gave me a good chuckle.

vCash
    If people can focus more on what he is trying to say instead of how he say it, it isn't so bad.

I do however recommend a translator for Patrick. I rather have him speak in French or Cantonese, and the nice pleasant lady can do whatever the nicer and prettier 'translation' version of it

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    If people can focus more on what he is trying to say instead of how he say it, it isn't so bad.
    Yes, I think he's saying what a lot of skaters are thinking, but the delivery is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Here's my take on what Patrick was actually "saying":

"Lots of people out there are saying I didn't deserve the gold at Worlds, so I'll practice really hard for WTT so I can redeem myself and prove myself to all the naysayers. [Cut to WTT.] Uh-oh, I skated even worse at WTT, so I'd better come up with SOMETHING to say. Hmmmmm... I know! I'll say that no one's really interested in WTT and that it's a stupid competition. Whew, glad I dodged that bullet!"

I have no doubt that Patrick wouldn't have said any of these things, had he skated great at WTT (and let's face it, others did--and they've had the same grueling schedule as everyone else). He didn't and probably doesn't really know why. He's in total defense-mechanism mode.

vCash
    WTT is really the garbagest thing ever made by ISU.

Nobody’s really interested in it. Skating is done after worlds. It’s just so different." ITA
    Last edited by ehdtkqorl123; 04-21-2013 at 05:51 AM.

Team Voronov, party of 1
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I think I have actually turned the corner.... I think I have hated Chan so much that I now actually like him!!! I am that he is saying this stuff. It's like this is an article from the Onion. I mean he's at Pasha levels of insanity, and I am digging it.
    Same here! He is approaching a Pasha level of delusion which only can make me !

His skating leaves zero emotional impact for me but I love how outspoken he is even if I completely disagree with it.

Now all we need is him to breathlessly perform "Happy birthday, Mr. President" during an Olympics fluff piece next year!

vCash
    Chan could have said it better or in a more subtle way, but I agree with some points in the quoted statements. It’s a stupid event badly conceived in the first place, complete with authoritarian participation rules with ridiculous penalties for absentees.

Should the skaters be happily obligated to come to that event for fan service, like the all-star games in other professional team sports? Those games are in the mid-season all-star break and not official competition events, while the WTT is a half-serious official competition event where the official season, and even the personal, highs and lows are set. And figure skating, being an individual sport, has its own all-star competition at the Worlds where the curtain is practically being drawn on the season.

For a competition event, the timing is really bad and it can give a series of conditioning problems for the skaters both physically and mentally. Besides the potential – and real - injury risks involved, I feel it presents some awkward moments for the skaters who have to prepare for it some 3-4 weeks after the season is ended and struggle to perform the same old routines. I even pitied Asada, the biggest star for their home crowd, during the latest event, where it was surreal and eerie her struggling through the program in apparent fatigue and agony, all the while the audience clapping and cheering in unison like in some N Korean event. I’ve never seen anything like it.

Not just Asada, it looked like several of them were not in a condition to compete. I hope they just scrap it altogether, or change it to some unofficial exhibition event for prize money, on a voluntary participation basis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I want to give Patrick the benefit of the doubt, I really do. He's a great skater and I root for him. But...

For chrissakes, shut up, shut up, shut up!

He definitely needs to be more careful about what he says. He's young, he'll learn.

I've gotta say, though, what Patrick said made me laugh so hard! I also dig the honesty. I do feel bad, though, for the skaters who enjoy this event and for any organizers who were offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    ...Oh Patrick, I know you don't mean that the way it sounds, but... Cause it sounds like "Who cares if old Menshov gets injured, it could have been ME!"
    That was my favourite part!

vCash
    Obligatory disclaimer: it is a DiManno piece.

I think there is plenty to criticize when it comes to the ISU, and skaters could benefit from working together to effect certain changes. But I'm not sure Chan is the best person to lead the way. And this was completely out of line:
    “I’m not particularly fond of this event,” says Chan. “Nobody’s really interested in it. Skating is done after worlds. It’s just so different. There’s no spark, no buzz in the air at the rink. Going from London, where that was so abundant, made it extremely hard to skate.”
    I would think that the many people in the stands, who were wonderfully supportive of the skaters, created quite a nice atmosphere - and not just for the top skaters. Criticize the ISU if you want, but don't bitch about the Japanese fans.

Interesting that Chan is concerned about getting injured while at the WTT but apparently has no worries about possibly injuring himself while training or doing shows. I don't wish him ill in that regard, but the odds of injury aren't higher just because one dislikes an event.

I wonder if Chan has finally said some things that might come back to hurt him.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast