Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Lysacek was still in top 24 of the ISU World Standings at the start of the 2011-12 season and so the comeback clause did not apply to him, AFAIK.
    thanks sylvia

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Lysacek was 18th on the WS list when 2012 GP was chosen; he was guaranteed one spot and was assigned to TEB as well as a SA host spot. He had no points from 2010-11, but he had 70% of his 2009-10 points, which included his Olympic gold, GPF gold, and one GP gold (since only two count per season), or 1680 points ([1200+800+400]*70%). He didn't need to use the "come-back" provision.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineSkater View Post
    (I can't remember if C/L are based in NA as well or just sometimes train there.)
    They are based in Milan and train in Detroit during the summer and before some competitions during the competitive season.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Could Alissa Czisny be hand-selected as one of the three US ladies at Skate America? She seems to have a lot of pull with NBC and Hamilton/Bezik. Two-time US champ. It would be great if Alissa could get herself 'back out there' before Sectionals and Nationals, assuming that she's still serious about her comeback. The bits that we saw of her new programs this season, prior to latest injury, are promising.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Could Alissa Czisny be hand-selected as one of the three US ladies at Skate America?
    She could definetly be a 'host pick', but I do wonder if USFS will do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    She could definetly be a 'host pick', but I do wonder if USFS will do that.
    If recovered and able to compete, I think Alissa would not be a host pick for Skate America (if she's given the two guaranteed spots as a comeback skater). Hicks and Cesario are possible choices for the other two host picks at SA.

Training location also has an influence in invites to GP's. Imai & Marchei are Detroit based, so they're almost a given for SA. Lacoste, Leonova, Meite, and a Helgesson sister are possibilities. As for Asada, Kim, Kostner as the top 3 rep...I'm not sure. Does USFS go for the biggest name and to fill seats and pick Kim? Or do they hope for early season rust from Asada or Kostner to go up against Wagner? Then there's the 6-12place WC skaters guaranteed 2 spots. I'd go with Meite and any of Li/Sotnikova/Tuktamysheva.

Wagner, Gold, and Czisny are all guaranteed two spots. Wagner and Gold are seeded and can't compete against each other. The other US ladies with 1 spot are Gao, Nagasu, Zawadski, Miller, and Wang. Wang is staying junior internationally.

I could see the assignments being divided up as follows.

Wagner - SA, TEB
    Gold - SC, NHK
    Czisny - COC, Rostelecom
    Gao - SC (
    Nagasu - NHK
    Zawadski - Rostelecom
    Miller - COC (if competing SR Internationally)
    Last edited by SidelineSkater; 04-23-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Changed Keiser to Hicks

vCash
    Wagner and Gold are seeded and can't compete against each other.
    Host picks are the first step in the selection process, and the hosts can pick any of their skaters they choose. The JSF has often picked two seeds for NHK even when the seeds were in the same bracket. So yes, USFS could pick both Wagner and Gold, although IMO they probably would not.

The top 3 seeds often get to choose where they would prefer to skate, and that is usually honored. But if a host has already picked two lower-tier seeds (e.g. Gold and Wagner), then a top 3 seed could not appear at that venue (only two seeds per host).

It's really a crapshoot where the non-seeds will skate. That depends entirely on the hosts.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Czisny could be a "come-back" skater and a host pick, unless USFS uses their and the Japanese Fed's stategy last year to maximize spots by getting Weir and Ando assigned elsewhere.

Wagner is a given, whether USFS decides based on top finisher at Worlds or National Champion (and, possibly, that skater's preference). Gold shouldn't be able to be chosen, being in the same 4-6 selection group, but that didn't stop the Japanese Fed from picking Takahashi and Hanyu last year, when both were in the 1-3 seeded group, leaving TEB with no one from that group, but with Joubert and Amodio both from the 4-5 group.

USFS could give Nagasu a break, because the ISU let the Feds ignore the provision that Top 24 SB skaters get a second GP (if possible) before those outside the Top 24 were recruited from the alternates list, but I wouldn't count on it, based on her performance at 2013 Nationals.

The Feds not only take geography into consideration -- there's a financial incentive there, since they pay airfare -- but they also seem to take coaches into consideration at times, assigning more than one of their skaters to the same event if they can, like Tuktamysheva and Gachinsky at Skate Canada and Abbott and Marchei at Skate America. Kozuka has been a popular choice at Skate America since Everett; perhaps SA will see Asada this year, although Kim might be a bigger draw.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Good point(s)! I shouldn't have said "can't", but rather shouldn't or likely won't be together. JSF may do the same this year with Asada/Kanako and Takahashi/Hanyu, and use host picks rather than pushing their 2 GP guaranteed skaters our to the other events.

Ah...it's the off season and fun to guess.

I didn't realize there was a two seed max per event.

Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    Host picks are the first step in the selection process, and the hosts can pick any of their skaters they choose. The JSF has often picked two seeds for NHK even when the seeds were in the same bracket. So yes, USFS could pick both Wagner and Gold, although IMO they probably would not.

The top 3 seeds often get to choose where they would prefer to skate, and that is usually honored. But if a host has already picked two lower-tier seeds (e.g. Gold and Wagner), then a top 3 seed could not appear at that venue (only two seeds per host).

It's really a crapshoot where the non-seeds will skate. That depends entirely on the hosts.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I didn't realize there was a two seed max per event.
    Generally, each host picks one each from 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, abd 10-12. Since 1-6 are seeded, that means a max of two seeds for host picks.

Last season may have been the first time that a host chose two seeded skaters from the same group (1-3 vs. 4-6). Before that, it was still rare, but the Japanese Fed took two out of the 7-9 or 10-12 in the past, IIRC. It's generally not strategically sound to choose two seeds from the same country, even if sticking with the groups, if the goal is to max out GPF, because the hope is that the country's 4-6 skater will upset the 1-3 skater from somewhere else, but it didn't matter for Japan, whose Men earned four of six GPF spots, and I'm sure the fans at NHK appreciated seeing Takashi and teir newly minted World bronze medalist.

vCash
    I'd like to see Alex Johnson get SkAm since he can't qualify for the GP any other way. I can imagine that the USFSA wants to show off their new National Champion on home soil, so that's Max. Really hoping the third spot doesn't get wasted on Lysacek again.

vCash
    I have a feeling Gold will get Skate America and Wagner's team will be
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I have a feeling Gold will get Skate America and Wagner's team will be
    What team?

vCash
    Probable host picks among the seeded or top finishers at 2013 Worlds:
    Rostelecom Cup: Volosozhar/Trankov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva
    From recent Nina Mozer's interview:

Do you know already in which Grand Prix events Volosozhar/Trankov will take part?
    Yes, in two out of six (laughs). I can't still answer to this question, we've just submitted our request to ISU. I only can tell that for sure we won't compete at Moscow's event.
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/10424.html

Surprising strategy. If they still prefer to stay in Europe, it means they will "take" Paris "from" Germans, as they have priority in their choice...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    From recent Nina Mozer's interview:

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/10424.html

Surprising strategy. If they still prefer to stay in Europe, it means they will "take" Paris "from" Germans, as they have priority in their choice...
    That's interesting, I wonder why they would want to travel verses staying in Russia? I can bet they won't go to China or Japan so I bet they will get TEB and Skate America.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    I thought this was based on Federation preference and selection order. I didn't realize the skaters submitted preferences to the ISU: I thought they submitted them to their Federations, which then negotiated with the other Feds. (Of course, if Russia doesn't choose them in the host picks, they have to be selected by other hosts.)

vCash
    I can't see Chan wanting NHK. He is terrible with jet lag which rules out both Japan and China. France again for him?

Title-less
    vCash
    I'm actually hoping that USFS will wait to decide on SA host pick. Every year at least one skater makes huge improvements in the summer and doesn't get a good senior assignment.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The ISU World Standings rankings have been updated for the new season (2010-11 season points removed and 2011-12 points reduced to 70%) as of May 2, 2013:
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wspairs.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm

ETA: In pairs, Britney SIMPSON / Matthew BLACKMER USA moved to #24 because Takahashi/Tran were removed (they would have been #20 had they not split).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-03-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The ISU World Standings rankings have been updated for the new season (2010-11 season points removed and 2011-12 points reduced to 70%) as of May 2, 2013:
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wspairs.htm
    http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsdance.htm
    thanks.

v.helgesson 5th in world rankings is kinda funny

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast