Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 114
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646

    2013-14 ISU Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

    Here are the early projections for Grand Prix assignments based on this past season's selection criteria (2012-13 Grand Prix Announcement for reference), while we await the publication of the 2013-14 GP Announcement and the set minimum scores.

    The ISU World Standings (abbreviated WS below) have not yet been updated for the new season (they were updated by the ISU last year on April 30), but here is the thread with the projected top 24 in each discipline with the 2010-11 season points removed and 2011-12 points reduced to 70%: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3892918

    2012-13 ISU Season Best (SB) total scores lists:
    Ladies: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtslto.htm
    Men: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtsmto.htm
    Pairs: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtspto.htm
    Dance: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/...13/sbtsdto.htm

    The GP assignments are due to be published on or around June 1, 2013.

    Fall 2013 dates and locations:
    Oct. 18-20 - Hilton HHonors Skate America, Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Oct. 25-27 - Skate Canada International, St. John, New Brunswick, Canada
    Nov. 1-3 - Cup of China, Beijing, China
    Nov. 8-10 - NHK Trophy, Tokyo, Japan
    Nov. 15-17 - Trophee Bompard, Paris, France
    Nov. 22-24 - Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Russia
    Dec. 5-8 - Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Combined Juniors and Seniors), Fukuoka, Japan

    * = ISU Junior age-eligible in 2013-14

    MEN (60 slots)
    Worlds 1-12 (guaranteed 2 GP): Chan CAN, Ten KAZ, Fernandez ESP, Hanyu JPN, Reynolds CAN, Takahashi JPN, Aaron USA, Mura JPN, Joubert FRA, Brezina CZE, Liebers GER, Amodio FRA
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP invite:
    Top 24 SB & WS (11): Kozuka JPN, Oda JPN, Machida JPN, Miner USA, *Yan CHN, Dornbush USA, Abbott USA, *Farris USA (JW1), *Kovtun RUS (JGPF1), *Brown USA (JW2), Menshov RUS
    Top WS only (3): Majorov SWE, Rippon USA, Besseghier FRA
    Top 24 SB only: Song CHN (*Chen USA)
    Comeback (eligible for 2 GP): Lysacek USA

    SB below 24: Voronov RUS 25, (Liebers GER 26), Rogozine CAN 27, Majorov SWE 28, Rippon USA 29, Gachinski RUS 30, Ge UZB 31, (*Omori USA 32 JW3), Mahbanoozadeh USA 33, Balde CAN 34, Bush RUS 35, (*Hino JPN 36), Verner CZE 37...

    LADIES (60 slots)
    Worlds 1-12 (guaranteed 2 GP): Kim KOR, Kostner ITA, Asada JPN, Murakami JPN, Wagner USA, Gold USA, Li CHN, Osmond CAN, Sotnikova RUS, Tuktamysheva RUS, Meite FRA, Suzuki JPN
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP invite:
    Top 24 SB & WS (7): Lipnitskaia RUS (JW2), Korpi FIN, Nagasu USA, Gao USA, Marchei ITA, Zawadzki USA, Gedevanishvili GEO
    Top WS only (6): V. Helgesson SWE, Leonova RUS, J. Helgesson SWE, Lacoste CAN, Imai JPN, Korobeynikova RUS
    Top 24 SB only (5): *Radionova RUS (JGPF1/JW1), *Miller USA, *Pogorilaya RUS (JW3), *Wang USA, *Miyahara JPN
    Comeback: Czisny USA (if ready)

    SB below 24: Leonova RUS 25, V. Helgesson SWE 26, Imai JPN 27, Cesario USA 27, Makarova RUS 28, (*Keiser USA 29), Popova UKR 30, K. Zhang CHN 31, Lacoste CAN 32, Gosviani RUS 33...

    PAIRS (48 slots)
    Worlds 1-12 (guaranteed 2 GP): Volosozhar/Trankov RUS, Savchenko/Szolkowy GER, Duhamel/Radford CAN, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch CAN, Pang/Tong CHN, Kavaguti/Smirnov RUS, Bazarova/Larionov RUS, James/Cipres FRA, Scimeca/Knierim USA, Berton/Hotarek ITA, Peng/Zhang CHN, Sui/Han CHN
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP invite:
    Top 24 SB & WS (7): Denney/Coughlin USA, Castelli/Shnapir USA, Lawrence/Swiegers CAN, *Fedorova/Miroshkin RUS (JGPF1/JW3), Popova/Massot FRA, *Denney/Frazier USA (JW1), Purdy/Marinaro CAN (JW2)
    Top WS only (3): Vartmann/VanCleave GER, Yu/Jin CHN, Della Monica/Guarise ITA (Simpson/Blackmer USA 25)
    Top 24 SB only (5): Stolbova/Klimova RUS, Zhang/Bartholomay USA, Martiusheva/Rogonov RUS, *Davankova/Deputat RUS, *Vigalova/Zakroev RUS
    Returning Split Couple from 2012 Worlds: Takahashi/Kihara JPN, Purich/Tran CAN, Davis/Brubaker USA

    SB below 24: Jones/Beharry CAN 25, *Yu/Jin CHN 26, *Tarasova/Morozov 27, Prolss/Blommaert GER 28, Wang/Zhang CHN 29

    ICE DANCE (48 slots)
    Worlds 1-12 (guaranteed 2 GP): Davis/White USA, Virtue/Moir CAN, Bobrova/Soloviev RUS, Cappellini/Lanotte ITA, Weaver/Poje CAN, Pechalat/Bourzat FRA, Chock/Bates USA, Shibutani/Shibutani USA, Ilinykh/Katsalapov RUS, Zhiganshin/Gazsi GER, Riazanova/Tkachenko RUS, Carron/Jones FRA
    Guaranteed at least 1 GP invite:
    Top 24 SB and WS (9): Gilles/Poirier CAN, Coomes/Buckland GBR, *Stepanova/Bukin RUS (JGPF1/JW1), Hubbell/Donohue USA, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin RUS, Zlobina/Sitnikov AZE, *Papadakis/Cizeron FRA (JW2), Guignard/Fabbri ITA, Reed/Reed JPN
    Top 24 WS only (3): Aldridge/Eaton USA (JW3), Orford/Williams CAN, Tobias/Stagniunas LTU
    Top 24 SB only (3): Monko/Khaliavin RUS, Kolbe/Caruso GER, Heekin-Canedy/Dun UKR

    SB below 24: Tobias/Stagniunas LTU 25, Kriengkrairut/Giulietti-Schmitt USA 26, Aldridge/Eaton USA 27, Orford/Williams CAN 28, (*Hawayek/Baker USA 29), Koch/Nuchtern GER 30

    Corrections/additions welcomed.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-21-2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: To add Pang/Tong (5th at Worlds), thanks to sharp-eyed robinhood!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    650
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I am going to try to make it to Skate Canada in the fall. It's only in New Brunswick, which isn't far, and it would be a wonderful excuse to spend some time with one of my best friends. I've gone there the last 3 summers for their Pride - might just wait until fall.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    705
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think you missed Pang and Tong

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    I think you missed Pang and Tong
    Wow, someone noticed! Just kidding - P/T's names have been added, thanks for pointing it out!

    Probable host picks among the seeded or top finishers at 2013 Worlds:
    Skate America: Davis/White, Wagner or Gold, Aaron
    Skate Canada: Chan, Osmond, Duhamel/Radford, Virtue/Moir
    Cup of China: Pang/Tong, Zijun Li
    NHK: Takahashi and/or Hanyu, Asada
    TEB: Pechalat/Bourzat, James/Cipres, Joubert and/or Amodio, Meite
    Rostelecom Cup: Volosozhar/Trankov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I suspect that Weaver/Poje will also be a host pick (strategically, anyway).

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,830
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3986
    I'd think Japan will also pick their pair team, Takahashi and new partner.

  8. #8
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Politicking for P&B and V&M
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    887
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I suspect that Weaver/Poje will also be a host pick (strategically, anyway).
    W/P are guaranteed two spots somewhere though. It would make more sense for SC to use their two spots left after V/M for teams that wouldn't otherwise be able to receive an assignment.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    W/P are guaranteed two spots somewhere though. It would make more sense for SC to use their two spots left after V/M for teams that wouldn't otherwise be able to receive an assignment.
    They were guaranteed two slots in the 11/12 season as well (based on 5th place at Worlds), and SC still chose them. I think W/P getting SC will help them get to the GPF. And SC did horribly strategically last year, re the GP circuit

    But how host nations should structure the GP events/their entries fascinates me, and it a whole 'nother (trash can) topic.

  10. #10
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,175
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I suspect that Weaver/Poje will also be a host pick (strategically, anyway).
    W/P did not want to go up against V/M at SC last year, and they were assigned to SA against D/W and CoC the following week, against P/B and B/S. It didn't work out for them last season, but I don't know why they'd want to go back to competing against V/M.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Valley
    Posts
    4,311
    vCash
    9456
    Rep Power
    6004
    Minor picky note - it's Saint John, not St. John...

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    29
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Wow, someone noticed! Just kidding - P/T's names have been added, thanks for pointing it out!

    Probable host picks among the seeded or top finishers at 2013 Worlds:
    Skate America: Davis/White, Wagner or Gold, Aaron
    Skate Canada: Chan, Osmond, Duhamel/Radford, Virtue/Moir
    Cup of China: Pang/Tong, Zijun Li
    NHK: Takahashi and/or Hanyu, Asada
    TEB: Pechalat/Bourzat, James/Cipres, Joubert and/or Amodio, Meite
    Rostelecom Cup: Volosozhar/Trankov, Bobrova/Soloviev, Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva
    It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle and fun to figure out, or at least try to guess where the chips/skaters will land (not fall!)

    I think Wagner will get SA as the US champs typically get that spot.

    Bobrova/Soloviev will probably get COC along with host at Rost Cup, because D/W & V/M will have competed already at the first two GP's.
    Both DW and VM are popular in Japan, but I'd bet DW get NHK and VM get TEB.

    Teams 4-6 are tricky to place. Two of the teams are Detroit based (I can't remember if C/L are based in NA as well or just sometimes train there.) As stated P/B will be host picks at TEB. My guesses are W/P for SA and C/L for SC (and Skate Canada keeps two host spots...one for Gilles/Poirier as they only have 1 guaranteed events. SC will hold a spot TBA for them, so they'll be guaranteed 1 elsewhere and get #2 after the list goes out).

    I could go on and on, but those are a few Dance observations.

    For Pairs...

    I see S/S getting SA and TEB
    D/R at SC and NHK
    V/T going to COC and Rostelecom

    Men...

    Fernandez at SA & TEB
    Chan, SC & NHK
    Ten, COC & RC

    Ladies...

    Kim SC RC
    Mao SA NHK
    Carolina TEB COC

    Again...just guesswork...nothing scientific.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave of the North View Post
    Minor picky note - it's Saint John, not St. John...
    Thanks. Be sure to let the ISU know, too! http://www.isu.org/vsite/vnavsite/pa...v-list,00.html

    CORRECTION to my PAIRS list in post #1:
    Top 24 SB & WS (8): Denney/Coughlin USA, Castelli/Shnapir USA, Stolbova/Klimov RUS, Lawrence/Swiegers CAN, *Fedorova/Miroshkin RUS (JGPF1/JW3), Popova/Massot FRA, *Denney/Frazier USA (JW1), Purdy/Marinaro CAN (JW2)
    Top 24 WS only (3): Vartmann/VanCleave GER, Yu/Jin CHN, Della Monica/Guarise ITA
    Top 24 SB only (4): Zhang/Bartholomay USA, Martiusheva/Rogonov RUS, *Davankova/Deputat RUS, *Vigalova/Zakroev RUS
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatt #1
    Posts
    118
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Japan please let Miki Ando apply to get 2 spots as the comeback skater! (or atleast pay Shizuka a lot of money to make a comeback! Since she can still jump!)

  15. #15
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,767
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417
    I think the highest placing US finisher at world tends to get it; I think that was how Abbott finally got SA last season. I think there are exceptions though
    Quote Originally Posted by SidelineSkater View Post
    It's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle and fun to figure out, or at least try to guess where the chips/skaters will land (not fall!)

    I think Wagner will get SA as the US champs typically get that spot.

    Bobrova/Soloviev will probably get COC along with host at Rost Cup, because D/W & V/M will have competed already at the first two GP's.
    Both DW and VM are popular in Japan, but I'd bet DW get NHK and VM get TEB.

    Teams 4-6 are tricky to place. Two of the teams are Detroit based (I can't remember if C/L are based in NA as well or just sometimes train there.) As stated P/B will be host picks at TEB. My guesses are W/P for SA and C/L for SC (and Skate Canada keeps two host spots...one for Gilles/Poirier as they only have 1 guaranteed events. SC will hold a spot TBA for them, so they'll be guaranteed 1 elsewhere and get #2 after the list goes out).

    I could go on and on, but those are a few Dance observations.

    For Pairs...

    I see S/S getting SA and TEB
    D/R at SC and NHK
    V/T going to COC and Rostelecom

    Men...

    Fernandez at SA & TEB
    Chan, SC & NHK
    Ten, COC & RC

    Ladies...

    Kim SC RC
    Mao SA NHK
    Carolina TEB COC

    Again...just guesswork...nothing scientific.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,856
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    Japan please let Miki Ando apply to get 2 spots as the comeback skater! (or atleast pay Shizuka a lot of money to make a comeback! Since she can still jump!)

    yay, shizuka!

    would it be possible for ando to get grand prixs as a comeback skater?
    she had that status last season and declined.

    and i can't remember how often sasha cohen or lysacek were given grand prix spots before the came back (or didn't came back in lysaceks case )

  17. #17
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,175
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    43796
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater91 View Post
    Japan please let Miki Ando apply to get 2 spots as the comeback skater! (or atleast pay Shizuka a lot of money to make a comeback! Since she can still jump!)
    Ando can't: she already did that for this season, and then she withdrew from her GPs. Unless they change the rules this year, it's a one-time deal.

    Arakawa may be a season too late, I think, for two guaranteed GP spots: her World title was 2004, and if they go by seasons, that would be 2004-5 to 2013-14. If they go by calendar years, then she'd qualify.

    Not that she would.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 04-22-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,856
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4691
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Ando can't: she already did that for this season, and then she withdrew from her GPs. Unless they change the rules this year, it's a one-time deal.
    wasn't lysacek assigned to the grand prix series this season and the previous? or did he get the spots for the previous season by his world standings and not as a comeback skater?


    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Arakawa may be a season too late, I think, for two guaranteed GP spots: her World title was 2004, and if they go by seasons, that would be 2004-5 to 2013-14. If they go by calendar years, then she'd qualify.

    Not that she would.
    it's a shame.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    29
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I think the highest placing US finisher at world tends to get it; I think that was how Abbott finally got SA last season. I think there are exceptions though
    Aha! I forgot that Abbott won the US Champs in 09 and 10, but wasn't assigned to to Skate America. Evan was the highest US Men's finisher at WC 09, but Jeremy was highest at WC 10. Armin, Adam Rippon, and Stephen Carriere got the spots. Jeremy was sent to NHK and Rostelecom.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,560
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    wasn't lysacek assigned to the grand prix series this season and the previous? or did he get the spots for the previous season by his world standings and not as a comeback skater?
    Lysacek was still in top 24 of the ISU World Standings at the start of the 2011-12 season and so the comeback clause did not apply to him, AFAIK.

    Posted in another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    If the rules don't change [for 2013-14]. This year's [2012-13] definition of a "Come-Back Skater/Couple" is "Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at an ISU World Figure Skating Championship) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the Grand Prix for selection of up to 2 assignments" (if they commit in writing, etc. It also says they "would be considered for selection as a Host Country Choice," but while there might be pressure for USFS to use one spot at Skate America for Lysacek, which they probably would anyway, last year Weir was assigned to Rostelecom Cup and Trophee Bompard, and Ando was assigned to Cup of China and Trophee Bompard.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •