Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Olympics medal ceremonies - the next day?

According to the schedule at the official Sochi 2014 site (http://sochi2014.blob.core.windows.n...e_sochi_en.pdf), all of the medal ceremonies for figure skating will be at the "Medals Park" - the day after the appropriate competition ends.

Assuming that's right, whose bright idea was that?

vCash
    Hell no! That would be awful...

vCash
    I guess they want all sports medals ceremonies to take place at the Victory Ceremony. I wonder how that will affect the pairs teams who medal. They don't even get one truly full day off before their individual competition begins.

vCash
    The victory ceremony thing has become bigger and bigger at each Olympics - live musical performances and the ability to sell tickets for something as an extra 'event' and source of revenue for the organizers to hard to pass up.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    So now the figure skaters will be outside in the cold, bundled up in ugly track suits like everyone else, so the event organizers can make a few extra bucks??
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    No, the victory ceremony will be in Sochi - average daytime high of 10 C in February - might even be warmer - remember last year's Grand Prix Final where temperatures in Dec were well above 20C.
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

vCash
    Great, maybe they can skip the ugly track suits, but they'll trot to the victory podium in their blinged-out costumes...and sneakers.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Great, maybe they can skip the ugly track suits, but they'll trot to the victory podium in their blinged-out costumes...and sneakers.
    Yes, it really quite loses it when that happens. This is the stupidest idea I've heard. Why on earth would you have it the next day?

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    What? Totally hate hate HATE that if its true! Having the skaters come out in their costumes as soon as their competition is over, still on that high from knowing they've won a medal when it barely has time to sink in, skating around the rink ... skating has the best medal ceremonies!

vCash
    Yes, that's the worst skating idea yet! The normal medal ceremonies are brilliant - very exciting and emotional. I really hope they change their mind.

vCash
    And there will be all that media the night after they win...and they won't have a medal to show everyone!

Why can't they have two ceremonies?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    And there will be all that media the night after they win...and they won't have a medal to show everyone!

Why can't they have two ceremonies?
    Not to mention, lack of sleep. I can't imagine anyone being able to sleep for a good 24 hours at least after the adrenaline rush of having completed your final event.

vCash
    I think that the "official medal ceremony outfits" will be required for US Team Members if they're getting medals in the medals park. That was one of the rules last time, but it didn't apply to skaters because of getting medals in the arena.

This would be a sad, sad loss.

vCash
    I agree with the "two ceremonies" idea. That's what they did at Calgary's Olympics in '88 - they had the regular medal ceremony at the end of each event, then they had a second ceremony the next day at the outdoor Olympic Plaza. It was the best of both!
    just my two cents...

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    I thought they did something like this in Vancouver? I remember NBC televising the gold medal ceremony for skier Hannah Kearney inside an indoor arena, which was definitely a different venue than where the moguls took place.

vCash
    Vancouver Worlds in 2001 did 2 ceremonies. Regular one in the arena right after the event.
    Then a second, more casual one outside - Wing & Lowe hosted.
    I went to both for all events. I remember Irina S so sad at the one in the arena, and her usual bubbly self at the later one outside.

vCash
    I bet they do both.

They'd better!

vCash
    Very likely a flower ceremony in the arena and medal ceremony next day . This is how other sports have done, the Eason the medal ceremony is next day is because of lateness of the hour skating events are held... It is an terrible idea, especially team event once medal ceremony

vCash
    I remember that during the 2002 Olympic games, which I attended, there was a medal ceremony on the ice right after the competition and later there was an outdoor medal ceremony with many other sports. I am sure it was held the next day, and yes, the skaters did wear track suits (or something similar), not their competition costumes. I don't see anything unusual in this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    I thought they did something like this in Vancouver? I remember NBC televising the gold medal ceremony for skier Hannah Kearney inside an indoor arena, which was definitely a different venue than where the moguls took place.
    Yes they did do this in Vancouver too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast